Smitty's TE2 Helmet

I'm going with screen mesh. The green film behind the frown just isnt talking to me. Maybe I can round up some today and stick in there. I get paid again on thursday so I'll be off to buy a batting helmet on payday. Once the frown mesh is in place, I'll start testing CPU fans. The plan is to have 2 fans, one on each half of the frown. They'll be wired to blow air out of the frown which should exhaust my breath so that I wont fog up the lenses.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DSC03131.JPG

Ā 

DSC03135.JPG

Ā 

DSC03136.JPG

Ā 

DSC03139.JPG

Ā 

DSC03140.JPG

Ā 

DSC03149.JPG

Ā 

DSC03150.JPG

Ā 

DSC03151.JPG

Ā 

DSC03155.JPG

Ā 

DSC03159.JPG

Ā 

The last pic doesnt do the respirator any justice but it looks really good from the outside. The respirator is caulked into place inside the helmet. Its fully inside the nose of the helmet and doesnt interfere with wearing the helmet. I'll get creative with the split loom tubing when I'm routing the speaker wires and make it look like there are tubes running from the top of the respirator into the back of the aerators. That will conceal the aeroator mounting bolts too. Im thinking the tubing across the back of the respirator will make a good mounting base for the mic as well.

Is it really stealing when youre you just reclaiming Imperial property from filthy jawas? My armors not finished so its the best I get to maintain the "faceless warrior" act on short notice. They had a couple of droids too but I figured they would be of no use to the Empire so I let 'em go about their businiess. Hang on, just got a call from command. I wonder what they want....

Yeah it kinda sends me back to the drawing board about what I will do for the cooling fans. I think I can still get one on bottom of the respirator. Its really all gonna boil down to in helmet testing with the mic and fans. The last thing I want is to have the mic picking up noise from the fan. The tubing stands off from the mesh enuff to use a fan to get airflow thru there.

The respirator has been bothering me and today was the last straw. I removed the respirator and went a different route. I used some 1/8" foam sheeting and used lightweight velcro to hold it in place in 3 places. Its like a veil sort of. the bottom bunches into the chin area and covers the aerator bolts quite nicely plus it matches the new batting helmet padding I added today. I went to Wal Mart and got a Rawlings T-Ball/Junior Helmet for $10. The Padding is easily removed as long as your are gentle with it . The padding was glued into place with loctite powergrab construction adhesive. This adhesive has a 24 hr cure time and has the highest initial tack in the industry. You can glue a brick to the ceiling with this stuff. This high initial tack allows you to glue in the padding let it sit for 15 minutes and then put it on to check your fit. If its not right you can slide the pad to where you want it. You can see in some of the pics where the padding was repositioned. Now lets talk about the roominess of the TE2's interior. When the padding goes in, you run out of space very quick. Small electronics are a must...its a good thing I have my secret weapon. Which will be unveiled in near future as my speakers as in the mail as we speak. Speaking of speakers, if the ones I have ordered work out for this project, I will be doing a run of speakers that fit the Hovi Mix PA tips. More on that later as well. Back to the latest additions, more specifically the veil, This material looks great from the outside and will be great for hiding electronics and it can be cut to expose cooling fans. The 3 pieces of velcro at the top and the unattached bottom makes it easily removed while doing an installation. Ok here's the pics and I'll shut up now.

Ā 

DSC03173.JPG

Ā 

DSC03176.JPG

Ā 

DSC03177.JPG

Ā 

DSC03178.JPG

looking good, i was going to buy the same batting helmet at walmart, just havent had the time........ as for space loss, yeah, i know how you feel my ap is snug as it is without the padding, not to mention that i have to add fans, speakers, mic, sound board, not to mention batteries and all the wiring :o, good thing i dont get claustraphobic easily.

I might have miss an earlier post, but where did you get that weather stripping for the neck?

Ā 

Did you run short? - it's supposed to meet in the back.

Ā 

Thats the necktrim that came with the kit. It would have been nice to be about an inch longer.

Well there went almost 20 bucks! I tried some speakers that are very cheap when bought in bulk but when you only get one pair for testing they cost more. Well anyway, they arrived today and I was all giggles and such. So then I wired them up to my board and was totally devastated. The sound output was total crap. No where near loud enuff to get the job done. So if anyone is planning on trying out some new speakers do not buy these:

Ā 

CDMG15008-03-ND available from Digi-Key

Mylar, 15mm, 8ohm, 0.3 watts

Ā 

I had them wired up as a 4 ohm load (two 8 ohms in parallel) The original speaker that came with my board was a single 8 ohm but was 2 inches in diameter. I was hoping that the higher current would make up for the smaller size. I was wrong. Anyways back to the old drawing board. I'm prolly just gonna end up waiting for Supertrooper to do another run of speakers....I hate waiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I installed a set of runriott's lenses. Grade 3 torch lens material. I trimmed them down with a pair of scissors and dipped them in boiling water. Then I pressed them into the eyes until they cooled so they would perfectly match the eye sockets. Then I glued them in place. You can see out and they can't see in...perfect. Now I'm just waiting to get a pair of speakers from SuperTrooper to install the electronics.

Ā 

DSC03274.JPG

Ā 

DSC03276.JPG

Ā 

face.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got my voice electronics installed today and it works beautifully with Supertroopers speakers!

Ā 

Here are some pics of the install.

DSC03349.JPG

Ā 

DSC03351.JPG

Ā 

DSC03352.JPG

Ā 

Voice Demo Video coming soon!

Ā 

This is it for TE2 #32. Not bad for a first helmet. Thanks to all who contributed knowledge and advice!

I originally planned to put fans inside this helmet but after wearing the helmet for over an hour last night I had no fogging or heat issues, I see no need for fans in this helmet.