ESB Regular & ESB Mark II Decals - Assistance needed! Accuracy nuts need only reply! :-)

Here is a set of screen used ESB Mark II Stormtrooper Helmet decals. The helmet was taken from the docking bay set of ROTJ so may have been used as a deep background helmet in ROTJ as well.Note: These were made from paper and were not glossy at all, those differences aside do you see any differences between them and the regular ESB helmets? Any screenshots of original film ESB decals would be very helpful. Also notice how the colours look so different! You cannot judge colour from photos, pantone is the only way to be sure!

04060027.jpg

.RotJ_renov02.jpg

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Edited by JoeR

anyone who does a MKII helmet will hve to not cut out the frown!

thanks paul... you're right as usual!

see below

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

From what we can see with original ESB helmet (reconditionned ANH), the decals seems to be silkscreened just like ROTJ v2 helmet (but different shape).

But the ESB MKII (and at the same time ROTJ V1) looks to be paper. You had an original set in hands Joe, actually you're the only one who can say ^^ (it's hard to know from the pics of the Identities helmet).

I remember a collector who own a full suit from ROTJ, with a ROTJ v1 helmet....I guess that he could inform us on the type of decals used.

We only know one ESB MKII "clearly" identified on screen: carbon freezing chamber (thanks Paul)...but hard to know if the frown is cut out.

Maybe that the ILM team created some extra ESB helmets (MKII) very fast and they didn't have time to cutout the frown and created paper decals (by photocopying, who knows?) instead of silkscreened.

Then for ROTJ, they took some of these MKII, cut the frown and replaced the lenses.

It's just a supposition.

We could confirm that if we identify another ESB MKII on screen and if another collector can confirm that decals are made out of paper on his helmet.

I love this kind of discussion ^^

Another member on here (Stormtrooper/Pugman) owns an original ESB MKII so maybe he can confirm the material of his decals. Silkscreening can be done on paper and most likely was the way all decals were made for the trooper helmets.

I believe the screen used ESB MKII is the same helmet shown in the identities exhibition.

I never realized that the tubestripes were silkscreened! I'm always learning something new.

Silkscreening the ink onto the vinyl is one thing, but cutting each individual decal out is a entirely another. I do not see any way of mass producing these without having a metal stencil forged. Otherwise, these will have to be cut out manually.