Icomm + aker volume

I haven't tried the Radioshack (in theory it should feed at the same volume, or slightly lower because it is more sensitive)

But I can tell you straight up that you need to TALK LOUDER and possibly have the mic closer to your mouth.

Can't stress this advice enough.

The LOUDER you talk -> the LOUDER the signal from mic to amp -> the LOUDER the sound that comes out of the speaker

Same issue for this new troooper, I will try to talk louder and I have to find that volume sweet spot, as my first troop, everytime my head was too far right, I got feedback (aker in chest under right breast section, icomm on the left. I could not center it as it won't sit flat if I do.

I have my amp to the left too, I tend to find the whole chestplate starts working as a speaker once you've got some volume happening.

If you want to completely avoid feedback:

When you're checking your volume, try to have your head in that problem position.

Turn it up until feedback, back it off until no feedback.

You now will have no feedback, just use that LOUD voice to mix nicely with your iComm effects. :duim:

You might find that it can even go lower and be satisfactory.

Or, turn it up just a little bit more, and be careful. :D That's probably what I'd do.

Also watch out for confined spaces like elevators/lifts, tight corners and echo-ey hallways/tunnels.

All of these things make for more feedback.

I have my amp to the left too, I tend to find the whole chestplate starts working as a speaker once you've got some volume happening.

When you're checking your volume, try to have your head in that problem position.

You now will have no feedback, just use that LOUD voice to mix nicely with your iComm effects. :duim:

Or, turn it up just a little bit more, and be careful. :D That's probably what I'd do.

Also watch out for confined spaces like elevators/lifts, tight corners and echo-ey hallways/tunnels.

That is also what I do (turn it up until I get feedback, then dial it back down to just below the feedback level). Judging by the position of the volume thumbwheel, it usually works out to be about 50% of the device's max volume.

Very interesting points on how the chestplace itself acts as a speaker, and the potential for feedback in small, confined spaces. The thought never occured to me. :duim:

great advice, I will give that a go. I was causing right head turn feedback in a wide open hockey arena, so definitely a setup issue on my part in terms of levels. Thanks for the insight. Being a noob, I have a lot to learn!

Lower feedback is from a lower sensitivity, lower mike output and unidirectional pattern, then using higher pressure and higher gain to reach the same output volume to the ear. Since we are many to use similar Aker amps we will have to stress the "speak louder" point more. Feedback gets in through your bones as well to reach your helmet and resonate. It's quite funny.

Edited by Nicky

Are most of you actually wearing the headset and then putting on your helmet? I found I could not do that. Putting on the tight bucket just ripped the headset off. I finally just cut everything off except the mic and the wire and just mounted it inside my helmet. Seems more effecient to me, but I am using the Memorex wireless unit. I can see how if you have wires going down your neckseal this wouldn't really be a good option.

I tried mounting the headset in the bucket with wires, which was terrible having the bucket tethered to me. Tried having the headset on and putting the bucket on after which gave me the same issue - the mic would move or come off completely. I got a new headset that holds tighter so you can put the bucket on without it moving. The issue now is there is more feedback than ever. I have the amp on the strap, hanging from my neck as low as it will go.

I may try the wireless headset, this is getting frustrating! lol

I got a new headset that holds tighter so you can put the bucket on without it moving. The issue now is there is more feedback than ever. I have the amp on the strap, hanging from my neck as low as it will go.

I may try the wireless headset, this is getting frustrating! lol

which headset did you buy as a replacement for the original one?

The same one that Dart/Rob M/and a few others have. I'll show you on Saturday.

-----------

4002FB Beige Double Earhook Headset Microphone: A professional headset microphone with low profile and high performance for any wireless belt pack transmitter with 1/8"(3.5mm) input or computer.

FEATURES & SPEC:

• Professional vocal pickup condenser microphone
  • Double earhook with 1/8"(3.5mm) connector and windscreen
  • Polar Pattern : Omnidirectional
  • Frequency : 50 Hz - 18,000 Hz
  • Sensitivity : - 60 dB +/- 3dB
  • Impedance : 1,500 Ohms +/- 30% (at 1 Khz)
  • Color: Beige-color
  • Operating Voltage : 1V - 10V DC
Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

the increased feedback may be because you have moved from a unidirectional pickup pattern mic to a omnidirectional.. We'll fiddle with it on Saturday to see if we can get it to behave. then we can work on mine (until I get a better mic solution).

I have found that puting the amp in your chest armor, having the volume set to a little less then half way and having the mic positioned as close as possible to your mouth helps. The static burst will be way louder then your voice if not.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got mine today and was playing with it, and I can definately say that mic HAS to be right on your lips. I used PTT and its hit the PTT button count to 2 and start talking loudly with the mic right on my lips to get anything.

On the upside the static bursts work a treat.

I am not sure about keeping the mic on my lips though I would rather not have to do that. maybe the condenser mic is the better option.

• 4 months later...

Is the consensus that the icomm is as good as the other high end voice amps.

It is a big investment at $100 per helmet.

Ray,

the iComm is the Static Burst generator. The Amp that many use with it is the Aker amps. I love my Aker, it has a Mic input and a Line input for MP3 audio (if desired).