My FX build and future MTK build.

darthnayce1138

Hello everyone! Nate here! This FX armor has been sitting in a box in my apartment for 3 or so years. It has never been fully completed properly. So I'm on a mission to finish it and get 501st approved. I also just purchased an MTK kit that I want to build and get approved for Centurion. But first finishing this FX kit...

Here are some photos to let everyone know where I'm at and hopefully get some help and guidance for the final steps with my becoming a TK.

I have a MRCE helmet that I was gonna modify but decided to forget that. Instead I have Mike from Trooperbay putting together a bucket for me and I'll definitely post pics of that when it arrives.

Here is the armor all laid out below... Arms Shins and Thighs are glued. Ammo pack on with two small split rivets. Ab buttons by Vader Dave. Belt has been bent with a hobby iron to hug the armor better. Things I need most help with are... putting the arms together, thigh attatchment, attaching shoulder straps, cutting the butt plate, attaching knee plate, assembling the thermal detonator and all the rest of the small details from this point on. I know some people have cut the butt plate at the seamline on FX armor, but I've read on some threads to cut a little below the seamline. Which one is it? And if a little below, how far below? Havent seen much threads or info on assembling an FX thermal detonator which I definitely need help doing, and making clips. I've been stuck on not completeing this for super long... Any links to threads, advice, and tips would be great. I have one local trooper who has offered to help me out which I'm excited about especially because she is Centurion and has much more know how than I. Anyway here are some photos...

post-2353-0-72590900-1347674369.jpg

post-2353-0-60642300-1347675001.jpg

post-2353-0-30511800-1347675222.jpg

post-2353-0-02292800-1347675365.jpg

Edited by darthnayce1138

Not too shabby! I can't wait to work with you in person :D You are like 90% there... Wow 3 years and it's still shiny white!

First things first. Ditch the back plate on the O2 canister (aka Thermal Detonator). You will be using money clips or bent metal strips to attach properly, not that weird FX style. Ditch the other half of that tube as well. Buy a 2" diameter PVC pipe (I want to say 8" but someone can give exact #s or I'll dig mine out and measure it) and paint it primer gray and attach the front plate and end caps and clips (not in that order) and there you go. :D

I think the best thing to do to cut the butt plate is wait until i can see it on you with the canvas belt. That will tell us where to cut the butt off. If you can find someone (Trooperbay?) with white belt squares to cover those giant rivets, that would be nice, but otherwise perhaps paint them white. When I see things in person we'll look at those details cuz it's hard to judge. Meanwhile I think you're going to have a pretty nice suit.

There are some great threads in the tutorials and tips areas that give you all you need to know about how to attach the arms together. I kind of want to make a tutorial for what I did which works really well... I would love to see some of the other methods more photographically detailed and step by step laid out for us :) Any volunteers? :D

OMG you managed to keep it for three years without finishing lol. Good luck with the rest of the build, hope it's not another 3

Not too shabby! I can't wait to work with you in person :D You are like 90% there... Wow 3 years and it's still shiny white!

First things first. Ditch the back plate on the O2 canister (aka Thermal Detonator). You will be using money clips or bent metal strips to attach properly, not that weird FX style. Ditch the other half of that tube as well. Buy a 2" diameter PVC pipe (I want to say 8" but someone can give exact #s or I'll dig mine out and measure it) and paint it primer gray and attach the front plate and end caps and clips (not in that order) and there you go. :D

I think the best thing to do to cut the butt plate is wait until i can see it on you with the canvas belt. That will tell us where to cut the butt off. If you can find someone (Trooperbay?) with white belt squares to cover those giant rivets, that would be nice, but otherwise perhaps paint them white. When I see things in person we'll look at those details cuz it's hard to judge. Meanwhile I think you're going to have a pretty nice suit.

There are some great threads in the tutorials and tips areas that give you all you need to know about how to attach the arms together. I kind of want to make a tutorial for what I did which works really well... I would love to see some of the other methods more photographically detailed and step by step laid out for us :) Any volunteers? :D

Thanks Ingrid! I'll stop at home depot later and try and find the right PVC pipe. Just gotta figure out the size. I already have some rustoleum primer gray so that's good. Let's plan a day so you can see this in person. I feel like the light at the end of the tunnel will be a lot brighter with your in person help. Thanks again! I already feel more accomplished. :)

Oh just found this info ... 2 in diameter PVC cut to 7" 3/8 in long ...also didnt think of it before but my MTK kit came with the pipe, so I can just use that one for now with this build to get approved. Hooray!

Edited by darthnayce1138

Ok so here is an update! Things are moving along slowly but surely, trimmed out my TD from my MTK kit that I will use with this armor. Its moving along nicely. About to boil the end caps and put them on and then glue the plate on. I just ordered some TD clips from Jesse TK-4702 that I will install once arrived. Also just got some rivets and straps from Trooperbay Mike TK-4510. However he forgot to send the sew-on snaps, oops! Hopefully get those soon, I let him know. Anyway gonna try to work on installing the rivets into the ab and back plate and a few other things. Wish me luck! ;) P.S still need help on where I should cut the butt plate and how to glue on the knee plate, or install knee plate with rivets?

8010819105_eeb756e8cd.jpg

8010842993_6812af0522.jpg

Edited by darthnayce1138

For the butt plate, I compared my stuff to the film and EIB threads to see if I was cutting it right. Well, I did that for all the parts. If you're talking about seperating the butt from the kidney, you can use a box cutter or rotary tool like a dremel. Be very careful with box cutters. The "sniper" plate on the left shin is glued on. You can connect the "ammo" boxes on the right thigh by brads/split rivets. I acutally used pop rivets then glued button thumb tacks where the holes were, to mimic the appearance of brads.

Another update here. Finished putting together the TD. No clips on it right now since I'm waiting for a set to arrive. Also glued the sniper plate into place. Had to trim it a bit to line up with the shin. Also glueing the shoulder straps onto the chest. Had a bad experience with this before. Hopefully I have it right this time and it holds up.

8013104316_4e3ee3307f.jpg8013093726_95e0d20ca1.jpg

8013093364_d460777836.jpg8013135967_5d841f9ddd.jpg8013138296_5991b1c6f3.jpg

Still really need to know where to cut the butt plate from the kidney. As you may know FX armor has a seamline in between these parts where it looks like you can cut along that line. However, I have seen other threads where others have cut below this seamline for more screen accuracy. I just dont know where exactly to cut, I havent found anywhere to reference an exact measurement and what not. Scared to cut it if its not gonna be right. Hmmmmm? :huh:

So here's an update of my progress. I took apart the forearms and re-glued them. I just didnt like the way they were joined before. They look alot better now.

Also glued on snaps to chest and back plate for strapping. Then I finally cut the butt plate. Adding snaps along bottom of back and top of butt for strapping.

Added proper snaps to crotch, 2 on bottom of the butt and 1 at the bottom of cod. Next up will be adding straps from biceps to forearms, making shoulder straps with snaps to connect chest, back, and shoulders. Also putting in side rivets into ab plate. Also I am about to go pickup some packages that arrived in the mail. I believe my helmet has arrived that was built by Trooperbay Mike. Can't wait to see it! Will post pics. :duim:

8031289310_312e1ea277.jpg8031288406_157d17336f.jpg8031290359_4fbf4de60a.jpg

8031288830_659e42c051.jpg8031289581_85f9af72f4.jpg

8031289825_577c473a6f.jpg8031291263_0636855323.jpg

Update here. I compared my ab/cod piece to the MTK one I have that is still untrimmed and decided to make a similar cut / trim to this FX one for this build. So I marked it off and trimmed it. I think it looks a lot better now... Also installed the side rivets on ab and kidney plate and added strapping. Added straps on crotch and right side of ab plate as well, with a suspender system strapping. Chest and back strapping installed with white elastic band around back of shoulder straps.

See all photos below, along with another test fit... One thing I noticed is the butt plate rides up. Seems to be that the crotch strap may be a little tight and causes the buttplate to do this? Not too sure gonna try to adjust that I suppose, if it doesnt work i'll change out the elastic from the butt plate to lower back plate. Or any suggestions? You can see this in a few of the photos below to see what I mean. Note: photos I took of myself for the test fit are in the mirror so images are reversed. Next I need to attach strapping from forearms to biceps, add straps under armpit area from chest to back, figure out how to attach thighs which seems a bit hard to me right now. Going to hot glue foam inside tops of shoulders and chest for non-movement, also must cut 45 degree angle on belt and cover snaps on belt, and attach TD to belt once my clips arrive. Not too long now until I'm done and can hopefully be 501st approved!!! :)

8034248030_7ff213bbd4.jpg8034248240_70064e4027.jpg8034248466_213ff5504c.jpg

8035047592_80cb57112a.jpg8035047842_9fa8388759.jpg8035049599_d1d5415ec4.jpg

8035049735_fca169f2a2.jpg8035048814_34e60060c2.jpg8035051916_1cf9098bda.jpg

8035053695_f483c607e5.jpg8035049939_bf54893935.jpg8035048478_425759b427.jpg

8035050285_01969e4371.jpg8035050559_7f4e9d265d.jpg8035051780_ac2f824c63.jpg

8035051242_76bb541b8a.jpg8035051048_537fe676a1.jpg8035049014_aaba1a49ec.jpg

Definitely making good progress! :D

I see what you mean about the but plate... mine does that a bit too. Butt's don't all sit just right, and it would help if you actually had some fat on your gluts... lol.

You could possibly take a technique from the clones, and put a shim up the back of the butt plate that will hold it under the belt. I had to do this with my cod (mine's cut). You could also try trimming about 3/4" off the top of the butt and it might settle a bit better.

Your back plate looks really low. Since I'm hoping you didn't glue the plastic bridges on the back, it should be easy enough to readjust it so it sits higher. At worst you can trim a bit out of the neck (not too much, maybe 1/2") and shove it higher up. Ideally you want the back plate's bottom edge to align with the top of the kidney plate's top edge. This might be an aspect of the FX, I'm not entirely sure.

It would be better to see all this in person of course LOL. :D

Definitely making good progress! :D

I see what you mean about the but plate... mine does that a bit too. Butt's don't all sit just right, and it would help if you actually had some fat on your gluts... lol.

You could possibly take a technique from the clones, and put a shim up the back of the butt plate that will hold it under the belt. I had to do this with my cod (mine's cut). You could also try trimming about 3/4" off the top of the butt and it might settle a bit better.

Your back plate looks really low. Since I'm hoping you didn't glue the plastic bridges on the back, it should be easy enough to readjust it so it sits higher. At worst you can trim a bit out of the neck (not too much, maybe 1/2") and shove it higher up. Ideally you want the back plate's bottom edge to align with the top of the kidney plate's top edge. This might be an aspect of the FX, I'm not entirely sure.

It would be better to see all this in person of course LOL. :D

Thank you for the input Ingrid! Gonna make a few adjustments and then test fit again. I definitely wouldnt mind some fat in my glutes, I think i'll start eating more desserts after dinner.

And YES, in person would be better! Just say the time and place and I'm there! :jc_doublethumbup: