Tribute to those that fought for our freedom

bigironvault

Hi all, there are more pictures coming but I couldn't wait to share this with you as a teaser. Seeing as Remembrance Day is coming up Nov 11. A group of us did this as a tribute to those that have fought and continue to fight for the freedoms we enjoy today. More to come!

621603_10152061051160507_1131005201_o.thumb.jpg.e5889fae608c098c880442eb600eb66b.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated

Cool picture :)

I've seen the video footage of when that flag was raised. It really wasn't as impressive as the picture leads you to believe. Although it certainly is an iconic one, and serves an important function.

Video link: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/34/Raising_the_Flag_on_Iwo_Jima_%28color%29.ogg

It was and still is a great image and at least for those that have lineage involved in the pacific side of WWII is still a symbol of freedom. No matter how mundane the actual raising of the flag was (...or both of them for those that have spent time reading up on history).

As an American, an American Military Member, and someone who studies history, you have to look beyond the actual raising of the flag. Iwo Jima cost the United States and Japan thousands of lives. It was a terrible, and brutal battle that barely ended in an American victory. The picture of the flag being raised was enough to spur the unpopular war effort. It was so impressive to Americans that they brought the men that raised that flag home from the war to help sell desperately needed war bonds. One could venture to say that without these "unimpressive" images of our service members planting our nations colors after hard fought battles, much of Europe may still be under Nazi rule to this day. So please, be more informed before you call one of America's most treasured images "unimpressive."

Excuse me for my derail. The picture itself is impressive, and very well done.

Thanks Tyler I share your sentiment. To me a Non-American but Singaporean, it's a symbol of liberation.

We literally risked our kits trying to get that shot - had to climb some rocks that I probably would be nervous doing on a regular basis, but with my fellow TK brothers helping each other out we all managed the shot - safely. :)

Edited by bigironvault

I hope I didn't come off as trying to be mean or anything. This is just something that is very close to my heart. Both my Grandfathers were in WWII, and as a military member, the flag and my coutry mean everything to me- Enough I would give my life for them, just as those men would have on Iwo.

I can see why this would be dangerous. One wrong move on those rocks and you'd probably have more to worry about than broken armor! It's brilliant though, you all look so good, at first I thought it was a fake shot. :duim:

Edited by TK5492

I didn't mean to offend or suggest that the war in the pacific was trivial. I'm well aware of just how terrible that was, as a fan of war history. What I meant to say is just that I find it a little funny how dramatic the photo looks, when reality was not. Not to take anything away from that or other battles. It's maybe just a silly and sometimes untasteful humor. But no disrespect.

Copy that Mathias. I just took it the wrong way. I sometimes get a little overly-defensive when it comes to this sort of thing. No worries. :)

I am too, Tyler. I don't think Mathias meant anything by it. I think he meant that the moment itself was raising of the flag and in the real-life footage it's quite mundane, but with the right circumstances it became so much more. And till this day means so much to so many people.

I had family members live through the Japanese war and occupation in Singapore in WWII, not a fun time to say the least.

The group of us are already planning our next WWII tribute TK style. Hopefully it will live up to this one.

that is awesome thanks for thinking of us Veterans this does my heart good especially since I am retiring soon :)

No problem David, I have all the time in the world for the veterans. You guys give so much - much more and braver than I could ever be.

Edited by bigironvault

Well I think it does take so many soldiers to lift that flag right! It would have been easier on the moon...

I always believe the old videos have a faster frame per second.

My family was in the Vietnam war, and not the american side. Here is not the right place but I wanted to say I feel that the ones who were actually part of a painful part of history won't get as quickly offended by a single word as their grand children would. We weren't given a chance to live in the world we have today to hold grudges or build new ones at the rate of a simple conversation. We're going to Germany dressed as stormtroopers next year, damn it! So stay united in human equality! :)

Edited by Nicky

Absolutely - there's no place for animosity. We've passed that point. We need to be united that a peaceful world is possible. We're the lucky generation that only grew up on stories about the war but never had to live it ourselves. I agree with you Nicky that those that were part of the war would never want to hold a grudge or instigate anything.

Peace brothers! :peace:

I hate to derail this further, but please don't try to speculate on what others would and would not be offended by. My grandad kicked my dad out of the house for buying a Volkswagen car. I think his grudge ran pretty deep considering HE was the one being shot at by the Germans. And what about my grandfather on my mother's side? I'm sure he just LOVED the North Koreans that tortured him in a POW camp for 2 years. Why hold a grudge against them?

Also, noone is trying to create or harbor old conflict. At least I am certainly not. I will now and will always be defensive about any symbol of America, regardless of whether or not I lived in a "painful" part of history. I'm sorry Keith, I'm not trying to create hard feelings here or ruin this thread about your picture-which I still think is awesome! But, my country means a lot more to me than Star Wars and I'm not going to let anyone tell me what I should and shouldn't get upset about.

Edited by TK5492

TK5492: The car example makes a good point, with what we know of what Volkswagen stands for in the beginning, but I don't know how war feels. But using your keyboard freely in a friendly international place is not like trusting "enemy technology" with yours or your family's money. Just like a word is not always meant to offend. It could be nothing to you to say "Hello!" in northern Vietnam to someone who is still scarred by american weaponry, literally. So I agree with you, we don't know always know what has the potential to offend or not. So I apologize.

When we're grand or grand grand children, we are not responsible to fight other people for our grand parents, or even have the right to be intolerant. We express our love for what they accomplished, compassion for what they've gone through, and our own responsibility is respect and just as much self-control. That's why we don't go ramming other people's cars or send death threats to comedians for example, or even say anything angered about another nationality in the listening range of a child. Not without inner conflicts I love America for many reasons beside the gift of Star Wars, but what's more important to me is being in best possible terms with everyone, even if we are bound to disagree or never get invited to eachother's family dinners. It takes respect and self-control and rewards with a human experience that is inexistant in perpetuating grudges along generations.

I choose the 501st not for screen accuracy or opportunity, but for that specific human experience.

Edited by Nicky

Well Nicky, I have to say your points are all very well seen. And I can't say I disagree with any of it. I hate to look like I am playing the part of angry American. I apologize for seeming combative, as I too wish to be on good terms with everyone, especially here on the FISD. I love all my brothers and sisters in the 501st regardless of their nationality. Sometimes I read things and it awakens old feelings brought on by years of stories passed down by my late grandparents. Unfortunatley, I cannot find peace with everyone. My country is still at war, because some others felt the need to attack and kill my people, innocent people, on our land. I wish everyone could live the in the way you talk about it. Until then, I hope the allegiances we have built over the years with Europe and Asia (and Canada :duim: ) will keep growing stronger.

It's cool Tyler. You're a passionate person and I applaud you for following your heart. Nicky you have all sorts of merits as well. I think we can all agree to disagree on some points. But on one point I think we all agree on is that we respect those that come before us - and that we respect our brothers and sisters in the 501st regardless of nationality, religion or politics.

For now this picture is simply a tribute to the soldiers that fought because it was the right thing to do and for their bravery.