Split rivet help

First of all you might want to put some elastic on it and then a washer so you get your crotch strap. Then you can use anything you want to split the legs. I used the rod on a screwdriver and a pair of pliers on mine.

First of all you might want to put some elastic on it and then a washer so you get your crotch strap. Then you can use anything you want to split the legs. I used the rod on a screwdriver and a pair of pliers on mine.

I was planning on putting a snap plate on the crotch tab and connecting the butt and ab plate with elastic that way. Will that work?

Yeah, that works but is a bit overkill. You still want to use a washer on the inside though.

Using a snap plate in there instead of using the existing screen accurate rivet is bulkier and a waste.

I put a washer on mine, used the screw driver shaft to get ample separation, then used a small hammer to lightly tap the legs flat. Finally I used white duct tape to cover the legs. For my snap plate, I put it just behind the rivet as I could not figure how to best bend the legs securely within the male snap piece.

Liking the idea of the elastic directly under the washer like Locitus mentions though...hindsight...

Edited by chookaboom

Liking the idea of the elastic directly under the washer like Locitus mentions though...hindsight...

That's how the originals were strapped in the crotch. :)

There are tools specifically for this, but I don't think anybody actually uses them because a large flat head screwdriver does the job pretty well.

These pictures of of the side, but it's basically the same.

DSCN0999.JPGDSCN1010.JPG

Once I had the elastic and washer on the rivet I just used the large screwdriver in the picture to wedge between the wings and pry the river open a bit. Once it was open enough I just pounded them down with a hammer, and presto, you've got set rivets.

As I recall I also had to hammer on the screwdriver a bit to get the wings to spread out initially. I angled the screwdriver in by 30-45 degrees and gave it a few taps in either direction.

I put a washer on mine, used the screw driver shaft to get ample separation, then used a small hammer to lightly tap the legs flat. Finally I used white duct tape to cover the legs. For my snap plate, I put it just behind the rivet as I could not figure how to best bend the legs securely within the male snap piece.

That's how mine is... sans washer (doh!!). You don't want any more snappy sticky-outy things in that crotch than you need.

Don't forget to use what Brent did above in the picture and use a metal weight or something as an anvil and cover it with some cardboard. You'll need something to pound against and you'll need to protect the plastic from scratching or damage, so don't smash it against a concrete floor with no protection for the armor