AP ANH Build Progress

Hey everyone! I got my AP kit a couple days ago and started (well you could say it's a start) yesterday. I'm trying to go for ANH Stunt with my build. Since I'm still young, I'm on a very tight budget and have basically no experience with tool working even though I took tech (woodshop) in first year high school and passed...hopefully with the help of the kind people on this forum I can get my build done in time for Halloween '12.

This will be like a picture/story build with questions!

Day 1

After waiting one day of shipping my AP kit arrived!

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

I know I don't have tools with me at my house so decided to pack all my armor in a large duffel bag with wheels and head to my gfs house. I know her dad has all the tools I need and they offered to help me. Unfortunately when I arrived there and inspected for any damages the bag left may have left a mark on my helmet! (photo was taken later that day)

P1070177.jpg

With that mark being found my gfs dad said that I should tape everything I'm not cutting up so nothing else would be scratched. Since I cant say no to him nor can I persuade him we headed off to our local home depot to buy painters tape. We got a really great deal, 3 rolls of blue painters tape for the price of one!

After we came back here's what we've accomplished for day 1.

IMG_0868.jpg

IMG_0873.jpg

This is the tool ill be trim/cutting with. Has anyone seen or used this before? Yes, we also went to Canadian tire to get this tool since it was on sale. I've tried cutting a piece of scrap plastic with this and it seems to do the job. One good thing about this is that you can't cut yourself, I've tried!

IMG_0884.jpg

That's it for day 1 guys! Ill get a picture of what the cut turned out like. There are also different kinds of blades for this tool. I'm only using it for general trimming and then grinding/sanding down to what the end result should look like.

Other info:

I went out today with my uncle and bought some under armor for my suit, first time wearing compression wear and I must say, its tight!

Decals/ holster, darker lenses and elastic belt from Mark will arrive next week since hes waiting for them to arrive.

Any feedback would be much appreciated!

Wow that's alot of tape! I was also afraid of scratchy when I first started but I found that it was easier to just tape the exact parts where I needed to cut. But hey I guess you can never be too careful either. The first cut is always the hardest but once you get into the groove of things it'll become much easier. Also when in doubt ask away.

Congrats on your armor, be sure to get some lexan curved scissors to trim your armor ,they are easy to control. I used a dremal rotory tool to to trim the parts that could not be trimmed with the scissors. Be careful cutting with that tool you have there.

You can just use an exacto knife and a metal ruler, go over the area twice, and literally snap it with your hands (or pliers for those tough areas). I use the knife from Rona, can't remember what it's called. For curvy spots, I still use the knife but some swear by lexan curver scissors (never tried). Don't be afraid to mark the line with pencil or from the inside (where no one can see) I even use a marker. You should see the inside of my armour, it's like I drew a grid with permanent markers etc. :P

Where Wayne is coming from is that tools generally speaking are hard to control especially if you don't have some experience with them. They tend to get away from you and result in a serious mess imho... lots of ABS dust. Bad for your lungs.

Edited by bigironvault

Ahh, I understand, thanks for letting me know. I don't have an exacto knife at the moment but I do have an olfa knife which is a utility knife with those extra snapable blades. I thought you had to have a deeper score to snap, is two enough?

This tape-a-holic is jealous she didn't think of that! But don't stress the scuffs and bruises too much - they eventually get polished off. That little bruise on your bucket might polish right off too.

Score and snap what you can, lexan scissors where you need to, and pencil all works just dandy. You don't need any tools (though i admit to using the dremmel sometimes) except glue and a sharp knife. Measure about seven times, cut once, shave off the parts you missed with the blade... sand... lol.

I prefer score and snap also. I tried with both a box cutter with the snapable blades and an exacto knife. I found that because the exacto knife had a thinner blade it cut more easily through the abs. Just make sure you take your time with the first few scores so you cut exactly where you want. The blade can get away from you if you're not careful.

Day 2...

Today I've practice cutting spare abs with an olfa and I think it turned out pretty good when I actually started on the real pieces. So far I've only done one ear and the shoulders since I did not have any time today. For some reason i was not scared doing my first real cut and was able to do a better job than i thought I would. I have spare time tomorrow and will hopefully cut out more pieces with pictures. Note that i still have to sand/grind pieces to get it to the desired look.

Here's picture of my....right ear?

IMG_0892.jpg

Does the ear end up looking where my black line is or what i have trimmed out? Also, do i cut where the red line is?

IMG_0894.jpg

Here's a pic of my shoulders, should I keep the return edge?

IMG_0895.jpg

2nd shoulder bell. I'm proud of this cut since I only had to score the entire edge once without having to lift the knife. snapped off after one score. :duim:

IMG_0897.jpg

I would also like to spray paint the inside of my helmet black tomorrow. Can I use this type of spray paint?

IMG_0896.jpg

More progress tomorrow!

Other stuff:

what parts do you guys find most easy to start with?

Are both AP shoulder bells identical and doesn't matter which goes on which shoulder?

Tandy snaps sale all through this month! Going tomorrow to get me 100...

Edited by Znerlrak

Day 3.

Wow what a busy day I had. I got myself a bag of 100 snaps at Tandy Leather since they were on sale. Then, worked on trimming my pieces close to where I want it for 7 hours!

Here are the results:

IMG_0905.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

Most of the pieces are cut except for the length sides where it must be trimmed to fit me. Also the ends of the arms (forearms,& biceps) need to be cut to shape.

If you saw the photo with all the tap above here it all is now...

IMG_0901.jpg

Ive taken the time to draw where all my snaps may go and have come to a total of 54-60 snaps in total for the entire suit. Luckily I have 100 which is more than enough. I still need to buy some elastic and webbing before I can start snapping. Here's my drawing, snaps are blue in BLUE.

IMG_0908.jpg

Overall it was a pretty good 7 hours. Next up spray painting inside helmet black, & gluing pieces together with cover strips!

• 4 weeks later...

Karl,

please let us know how things are progressing and what questions you have. LOTS of great support on the site here and we want to be sure oyu are getting the info you need. Also, if you have a specific question about a specific item, sometimes it helps to post a specific thread in the Assembly/Mods and Painting area (or other if appropriate). That way your questions are not lost in the details of the build.

Keep it up and keep the images flowing!

cb

Cut less than you need, you can always cut more - you can't put more back. :P

AMEN, learned that the hard way on the forearms. had to do a little shimming to get them wear-able. I still may expand my right one even more.

Yeah, I only used 2 snaps for the chest and ab, but also two for the back and kidney. Why do you recommend more than 2 for the back?

I like the two straps to sit on the outside of the kidney and back seam to keep the seam line straight (horizontal) so it doesnt rock or overlap ona troop.

Here is more progress pictures so far what I have done:

- Chest,Abkidney, and back connections (ab kidney conections still needs some work.)

- right Shin

IMG_1015.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1013.jpg

In the next update, ill have the a kidney connected right and another shin done. Also the butt plate attached. Feel free to make any constructive comments. :)

So far it looks good.

When you try out the Shin, or want to look where to trim it, do it with your Boots on.

It could happen, that you will have a Big Problem later, that they do not fit anymore, or even worse, you can`t close them in the Back.

Edited by Mogwai

• 4 weeks later...