energy sinks

TK:TK

I was flipping through the "The Complete Visual Dictionary of Star Wars" yesterday, and - I am ashamed to admit - I learned that the drop boxes actually serve a very valuable function. I never realized that they were "energy sinks" to help the armour absorb blaster hits.

Amazing.

This explains why I have not yet been felled by a blaster bolt.

But really, what does FISD call them? Do we go along with the authors who may have been dreaming up details after the fact, or do we stick with "drop boxes"?

But really, what does FISD call them? Do we go along with the authors who may have been dreaming up details after the fact, or do we stick with "drop boxes"?

I always thought they were blaster bolt magnets...no wait, thats the chest plate.

drop boxes, but it does support the theory that the TK's didn't actually "die", the armor absorbed the blast, but the body was knocked out from the blast :)

Like wearing a bullet-proof vest. It may stop the bullet from perforating your thorax, but it still has all its energy. So no collapsed lung, but it's still a lot like getting hit in the chest with a Buick. Yer gonna be smartin'. :D

As for it being called an energy sink... A lot of people misuse the term "sink" in that context. I think what they mean is dissipater or disperser. A "sink" is an attractant, and I've never seen Stormtroopers having blaster bolts arc toward their hip joints. :P Unless they mean they somehow magically pull the energy from a blaster bolt through the material of the armour after impact. I still prefer some other function for those things.

--Jonah

Actually, they're just white pieces of ABS that hang off your belt. :D

I don't believe it one bit. pshhh ABS. Its more like Plastoid Composite. I think its funny how people say Star Wars Isn't real. I always tell them: "Well then how did they film it?, What you think someone can make all of that stuff up? NO".

Haha B)

Actually, they're just white pieces of ABS that hang off your belt. :D

True enough - anything else is just speculation and your imagination is as valid as anyone else's :)

My CO always uses the visual dictionary terms to explain stuff - like what I call ears he calls communications relays (or something like that)... I can't stand the visual dictionary terms

Here's my theory - The "armor" never protected a TK from anything (blaster fire, rocks, spears, arrows...nothing...that much we do know from the movies)... There were no visual aids to help you see in the helmet (as the visual dictionary discribes) "I can' see a thing in this helmet!"

Luke also still needed to use a Commlink to talk to 3PO...

Also what did Luke say to Leia -- "huh?..Oh..you mean the uniform"

TK armor was just a scary looking uniform - not armor for protection...

Also - to further disporve the "energy sink" theory - Why didn't any of the Sandtroopers have them? I guess the Empire wanted them to die...? :P