Size of return edges on the chest, ab and kidney plates?

I've spent the night browsing a variety of different threads, but I've been unable to find the answer that I'm looking for. I would like to know the following:

Around the neck of the chest plate is there a small return edge? (1/16"-1/8")

On the ab plate at the top, what is the typical return edge size? Is a return edge necessary here as it's not seen?

On the kidney plate, should a return edge be present on the top/bottom? If so, what are the return edges sizes?

On the sides of the kidney and ab plates, I've seen no return edge. Is this correct?

On the top/bottom edges of each piece, where a return edge is present, the return edge tapers down to no return edge as you move towards the sides. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance

This is what I found when I was trimming my armor.

Return Edges

minimal on bottoms of bicep’s and bell’s. 3-5mm tops of bicep’s,

5-8mm on the sides of the back and chest plate, sides and tops of the ab section,

6-10mm for the bottom edge of the back and chest plate, top of butt, top and bottom of kidney

(depending on strapping method being used).

3-6mm for thigh tops (transition from thick and thin for better definition in certain areas).

5-8mm tops of shins/calves, no returns on bottoms.

Hope it helps. I found this on one of the build threads. Believe it was under the ANH category.

Ab plate top - My screen derived armor has about 1/4" on it.

Chest plate around neck - no return edge.

Kidney plate bottom. If it is cut from the butt plate I don't see how a return edge is possible. I do not remember seeing a return edge in the movies.

kidney plate top / chest plate bottom - 1/4" on my screen derived armor.

Kidney sides - no return edge (correct)

top/bottom of each piece -

-forearms don't have a return edge at the wrist. I believe some people have one back by the elbow.

-Thighs, return edge at top. Bottom should already have a return edge.

-Greaves have a return edge at top. No return edge at ankle.

-Shoulder bells, slight return edge at the bottom.

-biceps have slight return edge at top. Not sure about bottom. Mine does not.

cod and butt no return edges around the bottoms of them.

This is the best of my knowledge. Whether you have return edges or not shouldn't matter for approval.

On the kidney plate of the ATA set, there are return edges present on the top and bottom of the piece. The both are very clean. I could not tell if this edge was part of the vacuum forming process or was part of the sculpt.

Thanks for the replies

Honestly, I think this is the part that scares me the most about trying to build the armor. These little touches that in my mind have the greatest possibility of disaster. I think I'm okay with the ideas of trimming my armor, and even sizing it, but the finishing touches scare the hell out of me.

Just to chime in:

I have no return edge on the top of my ab because I had to cut it to fit under my girls comfortably and anyway it's hidden under the chest piece.

I have pretty much none on the collar of my chest piece because the plastic didn't really fold that way (no return in the flashing) as far as I could tell. I would probably have to have trimmed it anyway just a bit.

None at the bottom of my greaves. None at the bottom of my forearms. I'm pretty sure there's none on my entire butt.

Arm and leg pieces have about 1/8" return left from the flashing. Shoulder bells have about 1/16" around the bottom and almost none at the sides.

Kidney-back connection has about 3/8."

But I'm not perfect....

Funny, I was just looking for this information for some mods. Thanks for the info!

On a note for being afraid to do this, on the parts with the smallest return you can give the illusion of the return by sanding at an angle. On the bigger returns, like the bottom of the chest armor, I have used my sealing iron.

Edited by Darth Emphatic

• 4 months later...
On 8/2/2012 at 10:28 AM, Geaux Saints said:

Ok....I know I'm going to sound like a DA here, but what exactly is a return edge?

Its the outer edge of the armor turned inward toward the wearer.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed