• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vern, Karin is right. There is no need to be rude. Telling someone to shut it is rude. By posting pics of your build you are inviting comments and opinions from other members of the forum. If you don't like tthat then maybe don't post pics. The ears do not need to be that fat to have no gap and here is proof. This is my AP lid. Ears trimmed correctly and no gap.

Ā 

Ā 

0122v.jpg

By bsac15 at 2011-05-02

Ā 

ear rank is in front?

or do I see two ear ranks?

Ā 

only contrast I must also suggest is that this is a low brow for his build.

Ā 

my build is for a high brow.

see... it changes the ear trim on the vertical axis for the lower part of the tube.

and also the rear changes when you rotate the faceplate into the high brow position.

Ā 

it's almost a 4mm difference in rotation which causes an increase in thickness of the ear on the

front vertical axis.

Ā 

when you do a high brow ap helmet the neck opening also shrinks by over an inch.

since the faceplate has changed the angle of the ears the neck opening and the overall shape of the

face itself.

Ā 

that's why it has thicker ears people... it's not a low brow Ap.

Ā 

all your comparison photos show a low brow cut.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

No. the ear rank is in the back. It is a shadow at the front. The brow has also been raised from the standard AP line.

Ā 

017uug.jpg

By bsac15 at 2011-05-02

Ā 

I still don't see how having a high brow means that they ears have to be that much wider.

I can't see an ear rank in the front ear bumps of either Robs lid or the screenshot. It's just a shadow imo.

Ā 

Leaving the ears that fat, with the visible trim lines (that AP made on his ears to ease on trimming) does look funky, and I would not want any, nor is there any screen proof of any ears that fat. Not even the high brow "move along" helmet has that fat ears, but he has the highest brow we know of.

Ā 

But that's okey. It's your helmet Vern, and you do with it as you wish. But to all of you: Be civil.

Being nice and civil always applies to everyone. Some need to be reminded of it more than others. But it still applies to everyone.

Being nice and civil always applies to everyone. Some need to be reminded of it more than others. But it still applies to everyone.

Ā 

Some of us don't need to be reminded of it at all as we are already civil.

I've seen plenty of lids in my day... even RS props lids with fat ears... and nobody seems to notice that.

Ā 

the main reason why the ears are thicker is because in a high brow situation the faceplate is rotated down.

if I want no gaps in front or back you have to leave more materiel on the front, and take less off the back.

Ā 

this creates the need for a thicker front at the tubes on each ear.

Ā 

the owner of the bucket thinks it's beautiful because it has so little gap.

that's correct rob... from the vocoder to the ears it's an 'idealized' treatment.

Ā 

the main reason why the top of the ear needed to be fat on this cut is because the faceplate

is rotated downwards about 1/2" on each side, requiring a 1/4" extra material on the tube sections of the ear.

Ā 

the neck opening is also smaller as a result, the neck is almost 3/4" smaller diameter.

Ā 

I think the eye cut is very SA with darker welders lenses gaffed into place. this allows them to sit flush.

if they were screwed in, then the edges pucker.

Ā 

look at this photo:

Ā 

if I had cut off the extra material there would be a 1/4" gap!!!

Ā 

franckhighbrowhelmet005.jpg

Ā 

here's my observations on karin's lid... and it's nice looking because of some of the wonkyness

but here's my happy observations about the details on her lid

Ā 

keep in mind I do like the look she has

Ā 

p1010483a.jpg

Ā 

tubestripes too close to cheeks at ears.

vocoder is unbalanced on the right outer- makes it look very SA. (sometimes being off is accurate!)

fifth tooth paint could have been left off on right side (very rare SA element, another thing that makes it look cool!)

eye flashing could do with a trim (again a screen accurate element that most people don't have the courage to do@! wonky eyes are for prop

replicators!))

screen accurate lens acetate. (not 501 approved, but still cool!)

hovi mix tips? are they sskunky tips? look a little like ATA tips... hard to see from this angle.

Ā 

all I need to see is the back of karin's ears and I could give more compliments on the overall beauty that comes from

a wonky screen accurate lid.

Ā 

if a trooper wants even more accuracy they can put makeup on their lid and chestplate

you know... that tan/yellow grime as seen on the tantive IV?

Ā 

karin has done a really nice job of capturing the SA look here.

150 posts vs thousands. give up now. is this a challenge? wayne?

Ā 

put photos of your bucket in this thread wayne... otherwise shut it.

My AP and RS

P1000785.jpgP1000784.jpg

Now can I post here? or do I still need A couple thousand more post to qualify?

nice lids... can we see the backs!

Ā 

I'm not gonna pick your lids apart...they are fine.

Ā 

flashing, gaps and all... much different than an idealized treatment.

I see both sides of this debate. Im a fan of the zero gap ears as well.

Ā 

But as a newbie there are a few people who are vocal on the boards and I expect to see perfection with their gear. Especially with someone like yourself who puts painstaking detail into those blasters. I thought you would have just sanded down the ears so the cutlines are not visable and painted them. That way you keep the shape you want but remove the bevel that everyone is commenting on.

Ā 

Then again I think Im still under 50 posts so I dont count :)

ok... so what you're saying is that the line should be sanded off?

that's a little over the top for me.

a little easier to do in photoshop than to do it with novus polish for 10 hours

Ā 

you said you were gonna go all photoshop on me...

nice try my friend!

it was even a litte funny in fact.

Ā 

hey wayne... I'd like to see the backs of your lids.

Ā 

it's all a learning experience isn't it?

Ā 

ok... now everyone add to your post count here.

Ā 

cmon wayne... lets see those rear helmet shots.

Ā 

and thanks mathias for the lens aspect of this conversation. I just noted that her lid has the

standard Ap acetate. which I like by the way.

Ā 

all in good fun right?