Trevor's TK build CAUTION: question heavy! [*ATA]

Nice recovery on that knee pack!!

Make sure when you trim out your waist belt that the ends are trimmed to the proper length. ATA's waist belt has traditionally been too long. The ends should be trimmed down to about 45MM or roughly 1 3/4 inches from the last box to the end.

Edited by gazmosis

Here's my progress from after the knee belt yesterday.

100_1645_zps2defe1ce.jpg

100_1644_zpse3644a39.jpg

100_1643_zpsbb1b819a.jpg

My concern is with this stupid split rivet. I can't get the arms to bend down all the way. It makes it loose as you can see in the pictures. Any split rivet advice?

Also, as far as rivets goes, the ones I put in my knee didn't get as tight as I would have liked. I couldn't fit the hammmer into the small opening to get a good bang, so I tried to use pliers, but it still didn't clamp all the way down. Advice?

Now onto making the little kidney cutouts. Wish me luck!

Edited by bigtrev503

The knee pack was attached with cap rivets, and the way I put mine on was to stick a metal rod inside the thigh under the rivet and bash with the hammer from the outside using the rod as an anvil.

You can easily attach the crotch strap permanently to the split rivet because I promise that you will never need to unsnap it at both ends. You already have snaps on the butt plate for disassembly.

Problem with that is I only have enough split rivets to do the job. No extras. Can this be bent back out? I'll attempt to bend the arms back to get it out... grr. ANyways, check my kidney corners before sanding!

100_1646_zps9817a08d.jpg

100_1647_zpsb81f987d.jpg

100_1648_zpsa9460ded.jpg

100_1649_zps944e6695.jpg

Off to pry my crotch apart!

Meanwhile, what to do about this? Snap tool cant reach deep enough in my butt haha

100_1650_zps5e61812a.jpg

100_1651_zps2ab59a1c.jpg

Aren't there any set tools included with your snaps? I didn't use pliers on any of mine, only the small metal rod and plate that you hammer the snaps with. Works like a charm.

The kidney corners look fine. Just make sure the depth line up with the butt plate.

Progress: 

Crotch strap changed to be fixed by the split rivet. Loose rivet no longer a problem

100_1654_zps336eed8d.jpg

Kidney corners sanded with my fancy sandpaper that just came in the mail. No need for polish:

100_1653_zps247bdd14.jpg

100_1652_zpsc35654c8.jpg

Next concern: I read in this thread http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23186-my-2mm-ata-build/page-3

that the kidney and ab/cod needs to meet up at the top of my kidney corner. Do I round the end up to meet it, or what?

Here's mine:

100_1655_zpsbf875bfa.jpg

Aren't there any set tools included with your snaps? I didn't use pliers on any of mine, only the small metal rod and plate that you hammer the snaps with. Works like a charm.

Nope. It came with the pliers and a little red ring to set the male pieces. What to do? Hammer it?

I would try to improvise something. Maybe a cut down nail could be used to hammer down the snaps. You'll find something that works I'm sure. It's quite simple really.

I think you made the kidney corners a bit too large btw now that I see them together with the ab. But don't worry too much about it. Just keep looking at original armour and do your best to make it look the same.

I think you made the kidney corners a bit too large btw now that I see them together with the ab. But don't worry too much about it. Just keep looking at original armour and do your best to make it look the same.

I'm fairly certain I made the measurements correct and bent the plastic right up to the lines I made. If anything, they're 1 to 2 mm too small.

Could be. It was just something I noticed. I have no comparison up at the moment. Either way it is better than no cut out at all. :)

Here's today's progress: 

Made plastic snap plates for shoulder bridges. Made elastic shoulder bridges

100_1663_zps97a70359.jpg

Lined up plates for their 24 hour gluing

100_1665_zps13cb52d6.jpg

100_1664_zps11ac2041.jpg

Got the bells sorted (right vs left) and glued in the little strap that I will put a snap in tomorrow when its dry/cured

100_1662_zpse4d0cabb.jpg

100_1661_zps40cea172.jpg

Next, I think I'll install side rivets and glue in the snap plates that correspond with them. Oh and butt snaps.

Interesting query: How does one go about determining how long the crotch to butt strap should be? I'm sure it's different for everybody and I'm a fairly small dude. I know the cod and butt shouldn't be touching each other but what's the way to go about that?

Edited by bigtrev503

Interesting query: How does one go about determining how long the crotch to butt strap should be? I'm sure it's different for everybody and I'm a fairly small dude. I know the cod and butt shouldn't be touching each other but what's the way to go about that?

I connected one side and put on my kit with the undersuit and had my wife pull the elastic until it seemed ok. She marked the elastic for me and it was easy to place the next snap.

-Eric

I connected one side and put on my kit with the undersuit and had my wife pull the elastic until it seemed ok. She marked the elastic for me and it was easy to place the next snap.

-Eric

So... it requires someone willing to touch your crotch. Hmmm this suit presents new and interesting challenges every step of the way haha

Right. Well, I called my girlfriend with the crotchy request and she accepted. I can't imagine what I'd do if I was single. "Mom, I need you to help me... with something." 

Hahah anyways I got a lot more done. Here are the progress pics so far:

Exterior left side

100_1666_zps557c380a.jpg

Exterior right side

100_1667_zps02b336ce.jpg

Interior right side 

100_1668_zpsfa15c699.jpg

Interior left side

100_1669_zpsc8275efe.jpg

100_1670_zps5e0f97c1.jpg

100_1671_zps123c1b85.jpg

Been dressed like this all morning haha

100_1672_zpsfaf53415.jpg

And, kind of hard to see, is the strapping I have so far. Had to take out the kidney and ab to attach the rivets and snaps. Tomorrow full test fit!

100_1673_zps18ef686d.jpg

Ok, one concern. Where does the butt plate sit on your butt? Should the top line of the butt be where the top of your pants are, or a little higher? I might have to adjust my shoulder strap a little. Hopefully not. 

AAAAAH!!!!! I need help. I got hardcore flaring going on. I don't know if you can see from the pics. Keep in mind the chest to ab and crotch to butt connections aren't in yet. Just a test fit before I continue.

100_1677_zps8e3b0af4.jpg

100_1678_zps8d646fb1.jpg

100_1679_zps289585dd.jpg

What should I do? What are my options??!!

Here's my internal setup so far:

100_1680_zps5c3f66fa.jpg

100_1675_zps135620ff.jpg

100_1674_zps0d3a98c0.jpg

Belt corners before bending 

100_1676_zpsdb36ca7a.jpg

Butt snaps. One Is glued directly to the plastic. Can you tell which one? Neither will anyone else haha. The glued one is for show

100_1681_zpseeb6de0e.jpg

100_1682_zps7a5cad2b.jpg

I really need help. If I can solve this flaring thing, I can be done in the next few days!!!

Edited by bigtrev503