Rebuilt Sterling L2A3

Brent

I've been keeping my eyes open for Sterlings and found this one on gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker...?Item=284279869

pix549256866.jpg

From the photos it looks like the body might be slightly bent, so I contacted the seller and he said:

it may actually be bent slightly.

the gun is i believe a re-weld cut receiver.

it is lumpy in some places, i'm guessing these places

are welds that may also have warped some areas of the receiver.

making it not perfectly straight.

i will take a straight edge and lay it across the gun later today

and check how much it is off.

What should I expect for a deactivated Sterling in the US? It seems a bit pricy considering the defects (also: "The charging bolt has been replaced with a Steel Plug that is Welded to the Receiver in the open cocked position : Bolt handle is also welded to the receiver").

I haven't been looking all that long, but so far everything is either cut up in to small parts, re-welded together like this one, or converted to a longer rifle.

Has anyone had much experience with these re-welded Sterlings? If I were to pay a premium for the real deal, I would want it to be as in tact as possible, including the paint. Do better ones come up in the US, or does a Sterling just mean a more involved restoration job?

I'd wait and get something right . I got an air-soft version of one and while it's OK it took Wyatt a bit of work to get fully set. I think I paid $450? Thought that included scope, counter, etc.

I guess much gets down to how pristine they are, and are they real of later made. Also, how fast do you want to get one? I basicall saved my pennies and then waited and waited for one to come up that was in my budget and pounced.

For that kind of money I'd buy one of the functioning Sterlings from SOG or Century with a 16" barrel for less than 400 and deactivate it myself or pay Uncle Sam the $200 sin tax and cut the barrel down to the proper length.

In thier last Dealer Flyer, Southern Ohio Gun had the 16" Sterlings with functioning underfolder for $369. That and one of these forms http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-1.pdf filled out with a $200 check and some time and you've got the real thing. Just make sure you get the stamp back before you cut your barrel down.

Wow - thanks Nathan!

Brent - if you go this route lmk. We could do a few at the same time and save on shipping at least. Maybe others in the garrison would be interested too...

In thier last Dealer Flyer, Southern Ohio Gun had the 16" Sterlings with functioning underfolder for $369.

Interesting. How do I find more info? How difficult is it to have one deactivated?

The Sterling at Unique Canes looks like a nice option as well. It would be nice to retain the look of the bolt and spring tough.

Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Hmmm $410 for a deactivated sterling from that Gunbroker site listed in the first post.

Also a folding stock for $45 and other random bits including a kit and a steel tube with template.

Aloha,

-Eric

Hmmm $410 for a deactivated sterling from that Gunbroker site listed in the first post.

That's actually the same sterling I posted about initially. So far it looks like he's had no takers and keeps relisting it at the same price every few weeks.