My First ATA Helmet Build -WIP[*ATA]

dinkyfish

Just got my ATA kit and thought I'd post my progress here, as a record for myself and also for any constructive comments from more experienced builders. I'm planning on making a ANH stunt helmet into a TK version. I'll be aiming to incorporate a lot of the Imperfections of the originals into the one helmet. eg...

-a mid placed wonky brown, with one end a bit short of the front trap

-hand painted details, with airbrushed tube stripes

Just started trimming today, and I've erred on the side of caution and cut well away from the lines, just in case I overshoot. Is this too much to leave or should I trim it back a bit more? I'm not quite sure how the neck trim will sit so I thought I'd start here and trim down until I have the right look.

IMG_3744.JPG

Lines done for the back piece.

IMG_3739.JPG

IMG_3740.JPG

Any constructive comments appreciated as this is the first try at a helmet for me!

Edited by dinkyfish

for the faceplate bottom leave some of the extra material on and glue the rubber over that.

for the cap and back trim along the faint line for cutting.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Trim out the eye flashing a little more. Actually a lot more. I made that mistake at first... afraid to cut too much... but not all the way, you need some "socket" depth showing. Maybe 3/8-1/2 inch? (Guys feel free to slap me if I'm way off.)

First of all, you want as much visibility as possible. Second, if you can make it all curve nicely on an even (curved) plane, not too bumpy, your lenses will lie flatter.

Get your brow trim fitted and fit the face plate before you trim anymore from the forehead. Don't worry if the trim looks wonky - wonky is good!

A quick wipe with white spirit or tupentine will bring that trim back to life.

Trim out the eyes a lot more. Just leave 1/4" flashing and see how that looks, then trim more if you want. The bigger you make the eyes look, the better.

question: how much gap should there be between the brow and the faceplate?

Personal preference. I tried to get about 1/4" white to show but once I screwed in the screw holes it kind of moved forward and was level with the top of the eye sockets. But if you look at reference photos from the films, the gap is all over the place.

I like the wonky trim, it has a kind of a "one raised eyebrow" look.

I'm actually referring to the gap between the trim and the face plate, ie how tight the brow should be on the forehead.

in the photo below, about 2mm gap just at the end of the brow trim, in the area above where the ears would go. Sorry bout the confusion!

IMG_3758.JPG

Is this gap too big, Do I need to move the face plate forward, or will the ears tighten up the gap when installed?

Use the brow trim to gage how close it should be. You don't want it super tight, just enough. The dome doesn't match the face plate perfectly, so don't try to force it flat. Take you time with the ear's, look at some reference pic's. You could trim the eyes out alittle more and the teeth too. take a look at starwarshelmets.com there are lot of pic's on that site. Have fun! :)

I'm having a very hard time trimming the ears! This is not easy! Thought I over trimmed the back of the right ear....

Can get it to sit flush... like this

IMG_3760.JPG

but the front won't sit flush then.... and similarly if the front sits flush the back has a wide gap....

IMG_3759.JPG

Help! Not sure where to go from here, I'm afraid I'll trim off too much! Does the back look too thin yet?

Looks like you are almost there.I would leave the back of the ear for now and slowly remove alittle at a time from the front cheek tube area. After you get it closer you can fine tune it

Yeah, 99% of photos and views of your bucket will be from the front. Get the front-facing part of the earpiece as close as you can, and don't worry as much about the back of the earpiece.

Some guys use bondo or whatever to seal up the cracks if they're significant. Not saying I recommend this.

Your almost there, just sandpaper is all that is needed. Just a bit more on the front of the ear in the cheek tube area. You don't have to take anymore off of the back.

Edited by SCTrooper