TK-8280's EP III Clone Build Chronicles

Hello all... I know this is an off topic and dosn't have much to do with TK's, but since everyone here is an open ear, and I feel closer to this community than any other that I belong to, I wanted to share my CT.net clone build with you all...this has been an on going project for over the last 9 months...this will also show many of you how much work go's into making a clone look semi-real...

So here my story...after 8 months of making mistakes, and waiting for miscellaneous parts to arrive, I came to the cfonclusion a couple of months ago that I have enough stuff to finally finish putting one of my sets of clone armor together...I have been working on it vigorously in the past 2 month except for when I put together my AP for ROTJ Elite...so now i'm trying to get it going again... :) but before you see anything thing that I have done now we must first look at the timeline following up to this point :unsure:

I bought two sets of R2-V7 clone armor off of a fellow 501st armorer about 8 months ago or so...and the The first bonehead mistake I made about 6 month ago was to Paint the armor before assembling, this means that after I trimmed the excess mold remnants off the suite I gave it a front and back base coat of flat black #1, then proceeded to paint a gray coat#2 over the front then a silver #3, then another black #4, and then two coats of flat white #5 & #6 :lol: for weathering... But soon after when trying to assemble the armor I found out that hot glue doesn't stick very well to painted plastic :blink::rolleyes: ...so now I have had my forearms come apart on me twice...I solved this by sanding the heck out of the areas being glued and buy using CA/super glue...I also had to teach myself how to bondo the seems to give them the seamless look...

I want to give my armor that "authentic" I just stepped out of the movie look, so it has taken me a long time of trial and error to get my armor up to the point that it is at today :) ...[/b][/size]

I have peretty goo ideas on the best way to attach the shoulder straps...I have motre authentic strapping for my elbows, and have OSCS knee's that solved my strapping delema :)

I think I have too much attention to detail some times...because I have been working on this armor for so long, and sometimes it just doesn't seam like I will ever have it put together :( ...

I know that this is a TK community but either way any comments and or criticism is welcome, and I know that some of you do clone as well :D

B :)

Here are some concept pics that I am using...

vdclonetrooper28hp0ue.jpg

WHITECLONE.jpg

Here is what my armor sets looked like when I got them

" raw and Un-trimmed"...

NEWCLONEARMOR1.jpg

I started the weathering process with my shoulder bells & Hand plates...They were the easiest to start with in my opinion :unsure:

My shoulder bells about 60% done...

CLONEARMORBUILD25.jpg

My bells about 80% done...

CLONEBUILD66.jpg

My hand plates when I started thweathering process

CLONEWEATHERING4.jpg

Hand plates 60% done

CLONEWEATHERING6.jpg

Hand plates 90% done

CLONEBUILD61.jpg

My back plate time line :)

NEWCLONEARMOR2.jpg

Ruff cut holes...

CLONEARMOR2.jpg

sanded holes...[/b]

CLONEBUILD30.jpg

more flat black to conceal the sanding...

CLONEBUILD32.jpg

My back detail kit...

CLONEARMORBUILD14.jpg

The back plate painted with most of the detail kit in place...

CLONEBUILD49.jpg

My back plate 90% done! :D

CLONEBUILD63.jpg

The chest plate time line

this is a pic of the chest plate that has been painted with a base coat of flat black and flat white with the two holes painstakingly cut out of the right chest area

CLONEWEATHERING5.jpg

the chest plate after some weathering

CLONEARMOR3.jpg

the chest plate today with the 501st color scheme

CLONEBUILD62.jpg

My More authentic looking OSCS Knee's about 60% done :)

CLONEBUILD64.jpg

CLONEBUILD65.jpg

The contrast between the standard knee that came with the armor "left" and the more authentic OSCS knee "right"

CLONEBUILD67.jpg

CLONEBUILD68.jpg

My Bicep, Elbow, and Forearm pieces before assembly and weathering

CLONEBUILD48.jpg

My right forearm after putting the more accurate com pad on...notice the shim in place for butting the two ends together for the "seamless" look :)

CLONEBUILD73.jpg

CLONEBUILD74.jpg

my other seam on my right forearm already bondo'ed & partialy sanded

CLONEBUILD72.jpg

My left forearm with one of the seams already secured

CLONEBUILD75.jpg

the other side is preped for glueing

CLONEBUILD76.jpg

My elbows which I am going to re-pain becfause i was not happy how they turned out

CLONEBUILD77.jpg

CLONEBUILD78.jpg

My elbow detail strapping

CLONEARMORBUILD29.jpg

Hey Bernard, this will be so much interesting ...

Keep up the good work .. I've seen a lot of TK build thread .. but no Clone thread before!

Yes, Clone armor is a whole different beast so to say :unsure:

Having seen the helmet in person, I have to say the pics just don't do it justice! Can't wait to see it all come together!

Thanks Keita! it will be great seeing you at my small armor party tomorrow :) Hopefully we will finish up your AP for elite status also B)

You didn't get the OSCS elbows? How's the paint sticking to that rubber. Looks like it might be peeling off. My knees and elbows are still in their box waiting for that OSCS armor to come out. I have one of Jason's Neyo helmets to put with it.

You didn't get the OSCS elbows? How's the paint sticking to that rubber. Looks like it might be peeling off. My knees and elbows are still in their box waiting for that OSCS armor to come out. I have one of Jason's Neyo helmets to put with it.

not yet, and I'm re-thinking getting them at all, it seams that there is NO paint that will stick to these OSCS items :unsure:

not yet, and I'm re-thinking getting them at all, it seams that there is NO paint that will stick to these OSCS items :unsure:

i've been using tubs of acrylic paint called "citadel colours". they're for painting Warhammer figures. i'm sure you must be able to get it Stateside. This paint adheres really well to O.S.C.S. stuff.

i'm sure it'll crack over time but for now it looks like it's holding it's own.

Also the blue they have is a really good shade for the 501st. its called enchanted blue

501st3.jpg

i've been using tubs of acrylic paint called "citadel colours". they're for painting Warhammer figures. i'm sure you must be able to get it Stateside. This paint adheres really well to O.S.C.S. stuff.

i'm sure it'll crack over time but for now it looks like it's holding it's own.

Also the blue they have is a really good shade for the 501st. its called enchanted blue

501st3.jpg

yeah that looks good, I hope I'll find it...I am using this shade of 501st blue because my garrison mate uses it and I didn't want to have a different shade of blue if we are to be from the same legion :unsure:

Bernard,

Steelblitz (over @ CT.NET) was told by his resin supply rep that Tulips brand fabric paint works well on this rubber. You can pick it up at Michael's in the fabric paint isle.

I used it on my OSCS belt and elbows and worked great. I airbrushed it on without having to thin it out. Great part is, you can use acrylic paint on top of it with no problem!

IMGP1669.jpg