Trooping at conventions/hot places

Hi all, I’ve seen a few threads on what the under-suit could be or should be. But I was wondering what would be best for trooping around at a convention for say 6 hours stretch at a time (going to GenCon 2012 this year)? I’ve been looking at UnderArmour’s Heat products that apparently keep you cool and dry. I haven’t yet found anything else. Can anyone that has done the convention circuit or trooped in hot places let me know what the most impactful item is not just for the under-suit, and fans in helmet but other stuff that can help?

Thanks!

I don't think UA designed their gear with plastic full-body armor in mind. :P

When doing long-duration troops and/or hot-weather troops (C6 & DragonCon fall under both categories), you will get hot and you will sweat - no ifs, ands, or buts. Doesn't matter what type of undersuit you are wearing, or whether or not you're using helmet fans (although they do help prevent lens fogging).

The key is to drink plenty of water (but not so much that you have to pee every 30 minutes) and take a helmet-off break (which seems to do wonders for making your entire body feel cooler) every so often. If you can find a shady or indoors location to take the helmet off and grab some water, that is best. But even if you can't, it's far better to break character by de-helmeting in public than having to have other people peel your armor off of your unconscious, heat-exhausted body.

I've got UA's heat wear and it's light weight and does a good job of wicking away the sweat from your body and having it collect on the inside of your armor. The nice thing about it is that when there is even the slightest breeze or air blowing it, you can instantly feel it and it can cool you down nicely. I would strongly suggest getting a squirrel fan for the helmet though, Brian is right: if you can keep your head cool, then the rest of you can survive much easier!

Thanks guys, it seems that a good solution for the helmet is key. I think I'll go with the UA heat wear as well. I'm always getting queasy in heat (various medical issues) so I was concerned about this. Besides I plan to do some poppin' and lockin' in my armour that's going to build up a sweat. Haha.

When I did Vader I had the Master Relicas Helmet and it was a sweatbox as it is COMPLETELY enclosed my entire head and neck. Having a couple fans in there made actually kept me cool. If you keep your head cool, it works its way down. UA is for sure the way to go. Like Ryan said, even the slightest breeze or air blowing it, you can instantly feel it and it can cool you down nicely.

Good Luck! :Stormtrooper_walk_south:

• 2 weeks later...

I have to check out these other brands but I typically use UA for workouts etc. and I feel pretty comfortable using them because I know what I'm getting. Still, I will keep my mind open.

I recommend either the UA stuff or something comparable. Eastbay sells some cheaper alternatives that are pretty nice. I have a set.

Also, you can go with a one piece dive skin. That's what I generally use. Thing is, you will sweat no matter what you wear underneath. Once you put that plastic over you, it doesn't matter where you're at you will sweat.

Just make sure to think not only what is on the outside of you, but what is on the inside. If you suspect trooping in any hot environment, you need to make sure you are hydrated properly. The human body is amazing in the ways it monitors and controls heat but it needs the tools to work with. Just make sure you hydrate the night before. Lots of water...the night before. The day of, unless your troop is late in the day, really won't work as well and WILL give you bathroom concerns.

I suppose drinking at a pub in my kit would be a bad idea as well. :blink:

I've done that plenty of times. Good thing about pubs is that stools are very easy to sit on in a TK costume.

Another plug for Eastbays brand top and bottoms. It's what I used. Works great, good price and the logos are small and are hidden by your armor, unlike UA's which needs to be blacked out.

For the heat, fans in the helment do help a little, I have some, but getting plenty of water and taking breaks it the key to make these events fun and safe. As it has been said above when trooping in hot environments, you need to make sure you are hydrated properly. The key is to drink plenty of water and take a helmet-off break every so often. If you can find a location to take the helmet off and grab some water, that is best. Listen to your body and take breaks when needed. That way you will have an enjoyable troop and stay safe in the heat.

Do you guys find fans interfering with your mic in the helmet? I just got my squirrel fan today and it is AWESOME but not sure if it is too loud that I will be forced to use PTT vs. VOC.