Osothebear's ANH AP build [*AP]

OsotheBear

Oso,

Looking good so far. The legs are arguably the hardest part of the AP so take your time. It's difficult to tell the shins (calf) apart from your photos. FYI here's a shot of the right inner / left outer pieces - right inner shin in front with the deeper scoop.

TKBuild24.jpg

As for the size of the opening at the bottom, you'll never get your foot through if you glue the back of the shins too. Use velcro instead as follows. The inner joining strip is so the velcro sticks out past the vertical edge of the shin. When "stuck" together you effectively have a velco butt join.

TKcalf.jpg

Front / rear view of trimmed and glued thighs / shins without cover strips (with velco on shin)

TKBuild32.jpg?t=1328490592

Rear view of completed shin with cover strip hiding velcro butt join.

TKBuild34.jpg?t=1328490699

Finally, also best to align the top front of the shins when trimming and gluing. There's no return edge on the bottom of the shins, so it wont be hard to trim if one side is longer than the other.

Hope this helps.

C

Edited by craig225

Thanks Craig, this is great help!!! I'll make sure to align top to bottom and follow the diagram for the Velcro closure!

I think I have the shins paired ok !

Ah one more thing, It seems that before butt joining one has to cut a bit of the edges of every piece, some people say that one should leave 7 mm on each side to cover with a 15 mm strip for the arms , and leave 10mm in each side to cover with a 20mm strip for the thighs and shins and leaving 25mm for the back of the thighs, are those the right numbers, because I've seen people that leave 10mm and even 12 mm in each side of the pieces for the arms and even more for the legs?

Edited by OsotheBear

Glad to be of help Oso.

Yes, covers strips should be 15mm wide for the biceps and forearms (7-8 mm each side) and 20mm (10mm each side) for the shins and thighs. Depending on how much thigh room you need, you can easily trim or shim the rear join depending on if you need less or more.

Also, if you intend to glue the joins on both halves of your forearms, you may need more than 7-8mm on each side to get your wrist through the end - no return edge on the wrist end of the forearms by the way. If you need the forearm wider at the wrist end, still trim the 'outside' join (the join facing out, away from your body) to be 15mm in total (7-8mm each side) but trim less off the 'inside' join and have a wider than 15mm cover strip. I found I had to glue both halves of the forearms (rather than use velcro like on the shins) just to keep the halves aligned due one half of each forearm being significantly more curved than the other.

C

Edited by craig225

• 2 weeks later...

I got the chance to work a bit more this evening, thermal detonator...go!!!!

IMG_2825.jpgIMG_2827.jpgI think the originals were around 7 1/2 inches long, so the caps will add a bit more length IMG_2829.jpgGot a nice pair of clips from Paul troopermaster! they are really good, highly recommended!

Edited by OsotheBear

Coming alongIMG_2828.jpgIMG_2833.jpgIMG_2832.jpgIMG_2831.jpgIMG_2830.jpgIMG_2836.jpgI was advised to drill the holes after bending the strips to allow the clip to bend evenly, also I have rivets and these little screws, the rivets seems more sturdy option but I read somewhere that they were actual screws and bolts in the movie :huh:IMG_2826.jpg

Edited by OsotheBear

From memory I think I read that they used flat head screws, they must be the tapered ones that are countersunk

Ahhh , like the ones that go on the helmet ears?

I think so, I am trying to find the thread again LOL

That was fast, thanks man!!, It seems that they use all kind of screws,hmmm , I wonder if there's a specific requirement for EiB? I might just go with rivets

LOL well I did do a lot of re reading when I found out my armor was on the way, but still find I need to ask questions. There are no requirements for EIB or Centurion for fittings, a lot use rivets but those who wish for screen accuracy use the flat taper screws.

Hey Glen, thanks for the help!!!greatly appreciated!! I thought since I have the screws with a rounded head maybe I can sand those and make them flat !! ha! so I gave it a try and took one, wrapped it on a piece of cloth to avoid ruin the thread and press them on the vice, then I just sanded it down with the dremel , then some sand paper for the finesse and voila! flat head, the only thing is that I have to be careful not to get in contact with water since the antioxidant coat is gone and the zinc will rust eventually, but hey what the hell . I still between the screws and the rivets , what do you guys think?

IMG_2844.jpgIMG_2843.jpgIMG_2842.jpgIMG_2845.jpgIMG_2846.jpgIMG_2847.jpgIMG_2848.jpgIMG_2849.jpgIMG_2850.jpg

Glad to be of help, troopers helping troopers is the moto.

That was a lot of work, well done but, yes theres a but, the flat screws also have a taper so they recess into the plate which makes them flush.

It's an entirely personal preference what to use and even what you can find to use, me I'm going for the tapered flat head, but at the start of my build journey I would have settled for rivets.

Go with what you are happy with, oh and remember its not permenant you can always change it later.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking good, just depends how snug your arms are fitting, I tried to put my cover strip right to the ends of the ridges but then I have small arms

Oh btw after much more reading and learning (you never stop) the screen accurate screws for the TD bracket are black slotted domed screws, looks like I'm changing mine lol

Regarding the arms, there is a bit of room , but when I flex the arms it gets snug

About the same as mine, but when you are full kitted up I can't see you doing any weight lifting LOL

• 3 weeks later...