Weathering a TK

I have used the rubber soles on my boots to weather my TK, and it has become naturally weathered by bumping into stuff and rubbing against the blaster during transport, but I have never heard of "carbon scoring" before, so please enlighten us :)

Rubbing your brow trim against it also works. Same thing as using the boots really, but less dirty. :P

Ā 

Some things on my suit is done with permanent marker rubbed out before the ink settled. But I don't recommend that. Too easy to mess up and too hard to remove.

Attaboy, it doesn't get any better than natural weathering, although that takes a lot of time and provides that you attend a lot of troops, or use your armor alot.

That being said, I really like the look of the screen used suits, specifically during the raid on Tantive IV (scenes that were filmed near the end of the movie I believe, where the suits had been banged up after a lot of use during the filming).

I wanted to make my armor look as though it was shot with a blaster haha. But I guess I would have to put a hole in it!

Sadly, if you want to go as accurate as you've said you want then you shouldn't do that.

Where do you want the chipping? The only thing on the original suits that showed signs of paint chipping were the stunt helmets. Not the armour or the hero helmets.

Ā 

So obviously you would need to paint a khaki-base layer on your stunt helmet, mask off the chippings and the paint it all white before removing the masking to get the desired result.

If you want it to look used I sand the raised edges and the recesses with varying grades of sand paper hen cover the entire armour with wood stain then remove with white spirit as much as possible then blend using a fleece or scouring pad. Buff with news paper...... done. It is more time consuming than I make out and do each piece separately. I take all the shine off with a very fine wet n dry paper like a 2000 grit. I even kick the armour and helmet around the car park to give it that natural worn in look. Once it is weathered you don't have to look after it! On the helmet I hit the raised painted areas with sand paper to wear off bits here and there.

If you are nervous about the sand paper and wood stain just do it a stage at a time. You can always add more later.....

The above process is a very nice one, I have seen the pics. I am in the process of doing some moderate weathering on mine and I used a similar process. Ultra fine sandpaper to remove most of the shine, putting an emphasis on areas I wanted to show more wear. Such as raised edges and recesses, areas that would naturally collect grime. Then I rubbed it down with newsprint, which gave it a very natural used look. For those areas of emphasis, just rub a little harder and it takes on the look of carbon scoring. If your character has been around for a while, his armour should tell a story. From across the room I still look like a shiney whitey, but the closer you get, you can tell I have been around the block as few times. I like weathering, as for me, it brings the armour to life, it gives it a history. It makes it more real. :smiley-sw013:

Edited by Sparrow