RS Upper Leg (Thigh) build.

Hey guys. So we got a little time to build up a screen spec suit. We thought we should share the process.

OK, the Right Thigh. This has been reported back to us as a problem area, so here is how it goes together.

Here we see the top.

IMG_0852.jpg

...and the bottom. Note how it is miss-aligned, about 8mm, but there is quite a bit of filler/glue around the area on the original.

IMG_0851.jpg

Gluing the cover strip to the first edge, the original used for reference.

IMG_0853.jpg

IMG_0854.jpg

Here we can see the miss-alignment on the original and replica. Also note the addition of a small piece of ABS to the raised detail section join from the inside.

IMG_0858.jpg

Here is how I cut the knee ammo belt corners, right off the screen used suit. You can also see the inside of the rivet here too.

IMG_0856.jpg

and heres the almost finished part.

IMG_0857.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

Left Leg. Here we have the front cut to size, for the cover strip.

IMG_0860.jpg

This one is a little more straight forward.

IMG_0861.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

IMG_0863.jpg

Both together.

IMG_0865.jpg

IMG_0867.jpg

IMG_0868.jpg

Interesting to note that on this set the cover strip on the right is 24mm and 22mm on the left.

Saw this on facebook. No doubt it will be very useful for many.

I didn't have any problems with my build. The natural lines of the thighs of the original suit all seemed pretty clear to me.

You can see why they put the ammo strap on the right thigh to hide the bad join. Same thing for the left shin too. The left inner and outer parts differ in size too and the sniper plate conveniently hides that mis-alignment too.

The mis-match of parts must have happened during the clean up stage of the plaster moulds before the fibreglass plugs were made back at Elstree. I doubt Brian would have sculpted them that way.

Good one Rob , this will certainly help furture RS builders , i have been following the archive photos on my RS PVC build , and i helped a fellow trooper out the other night on his RS PVC thighs ;)

Iam basing my RS armour on the first trooper in this classic pic .

tantive4rare.png

Looks like i will be swooping in the return edge of the top inner left thigh ;)

Love it Rob thats what i will be doing on my RS left forearm ;) , Umm could be his under suite bunching over , but my money's on the trimming seeing that they were not shy on that forarm LOL ;) just love all these findings on origanal suits .

Thanks for sharing Rob.

You pointed out that the joining strips were different sizes, do you think they are both the original strips as the one that has been riveted on looks as though it may have been a replacement?

Good one Rob , this will certainly help furture RS builders , i have been following the archive photos on my RS PVC build , and i helped a fellow trooper out the other night on his RS PVC thighs ;)

;)^_^ I was very happy about it

Edited by DarthChridan

@ Dan ;)

Also i have noticed the Origanal left thigh elastic looks like its been removed and replaced at some point , maybe the same time as the rivits going got put in .

I don't think the cover was fully replaced, just fastened back down. It's not a huge difference, most likely a cutting error, as they are both uniformally the same width top to bottom. I think it just show how they were put together quickly.

Hey Paul, so we're the gloves cut down, or is it bunched up? My gloves tuck in, but trimming the excess would make sense.

Hi Rob,

The gloves look to be bunched up. You can see this in the movie just as Vader enters Tantive IV with these troopers behind him in the opening scenes.

Remember these are domestic rubber gloves with latex guards glued on. They had to be put on after the armour was on and tucked inside the wrists, but I guess this trooper got a bit lazy :P

I had previously made ​​a mistake :huh::mellow: ...but Steve has helped me a lot...thanks mate ;)

I just noticed, that the edge under the cover stripe it does not fit......

and here it fits-

http://i1133.photobu...ld/IMG_0860.jpg

Before-

LinkerOberschenkel1.jpg

After-

DSCF5359.jpg

Now I have to live with it ...

I think dennis had the same 'problem', because, it's the same on his right thigh part on this edge....

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7161/6413006439_e9feb3f298_b.jpg

Edited by DarthChridan

@ Paul LMFHO ;)

@ Dan , i only lernt this from the Higher above mate ;) , but glad to help you out troopers helping troopers thats what we are all here for :)

• 2 weeks later...