My RS Prop Masters build / armour / experience with the new seller

No doubt you'll be surprised that I haven't spammed the heck out of the forum with millions of photos of my build. Well, I've been unusually busy of late and, strangely for me, I've not been able to take an extended period of time off to just sit down and build my armour.

Add to that a rather annoying postal loss which has stopped me adding the final press stud fastenings to my armour, and the whole thing has been a bit stop-start. Nearly finished though and I will post photos of the construction and a final suit-up here when I'm done.

Nevertheless, I did want to quickly offer leave some feedback on the armour and dealing with the chaps at RS.

Much in line with my excellent experiences with other UK armour suppliers (TM, CfO), the service from RS has been absolutely spot-on. Quick communication, regular updates on everything, very flexible and immediate help on hand for minor problems (of my own causing).

A+, chaps.

And the armour?

It's a first generation cast direct from original ANH armour. It's a trooper's dream. And most importantly, they've done a great job of capturing all those never-seen-before details.

Looking at the state of Simon's suit, I imagine it was tricky work, but they've done very well. I sometimes find myself just sitting and staring at certain parts of it, e.g. the biceps, the thighs.

That said, it's a little bit more of a challenge to build than a TM. But that's to be expected. TM is a pretty much perfect design, built from scratch so that every part matches and includes quite a lot of allowance on the moulds for tailored trimming. Paul has spoiled us over the years.

The RS is a direct cast of one suit, built in a certain way, with all the little quirks. The lower leg assemblies are not for the faint-hearted, i.e. they consist of four outer parts and zero inner parts. An absolutely authentic part of Lucasfilm wardrobe department history on one hand, a little bit tricky to build on the other.

I know the guys added a sculpted left arm to replace the duplicated right arm in the kit. Maybe this is another possible sculpted option to offer in the future? Maybe offer the 100% authentic quirky version for authentic replicas and the option of a set of shins that can be built as they were meant to be originally?

My intention is to do a bit of mixing and matching and have both my authentic replica and then combine my suit with parts of a TM suit for trooping comfort.

Anyway, I don't want to end on what sounds like a negative. I absolutely love the RS armour as it is. All in all it is unbeatable.

The first geenration cast from ANH is what we'd long dreamed of. And luckily, it fell into the hands of Rob and Simon who look to have a very reliable setup. It's been a pleasure dealing with them.

Pictures soon.

I have seen the RS armour for myself and it is beautiful. Unfortunately being a bigger guy I will never get to wear such an awesome looking set but I may purchase one a build just to display..

I look forward to seeing your pics Rich, when you get round to blitzing us with them laugh.png

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I finally got something finished to show you ...

An ANH helmet, built by Rob (after I ballsed up my first one) and painted by me. I went for a clean freshly-painted-straight-out-of-the-props-department look with no fake paint chips. Wanted it to contrast my other helmet which I'm still hoping to save and finish as a chipped-look ESB helmet.

On this one, it's just three coats of gloss pure white.

DSCF2679b.jpg

DSCF2680.jpg

DSCF2682.jpg

DSCF2683.jpg

DSCF2681.jpg

DSCF2684.jpg

DSCF2685.jpg

My clothears belt also arrived so all I am waiting for now is my snaps issue to be resolved, so I'll soon have a complete suit. Nearly there ...

ohh yes mate iam a liking , no more ear ake ;) , what did you think mate when you were putting the armour together ? , i know its being a bit of a challange here but getting there with the PVC , i am waiting on my Clothears belt and holster , and a few other bits , cant wait to see some of your pics of the armour mate :) , Happy new year to you and Coney xxx .

Rich

Looking pretty darn sexy there mate B)

The RS lid is just....beautiful.

I'm not ashamed to say that I've spent many, many hours with one of these in my mits and I've not been able to take may eyes off of it.t2807.gif

Great review by the way, and I'm looking forward to the build coming together matey :duim:

Thanks for looking, chaps. I do love my helmet. I'd like to tackle another myself one day but I was glad Rob put this one together. It's perfick! :D

what did you think mate when you were putting the armour together ? , i know its being a bit of a challange here but getting there with the PVC

In ABS it goes together great.

On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being TM (perfect fit, everything goes together totally easy) and 0 being anonymous armour (ROTJ-derived armour which has been f**ked about with so often and comes in a really heavy grade plastic and is a complete nightmare to build) ...

... I'd say RS 1.5mm ABS is a 9/10. The finishing strips take a little bit more clamping and I had to reshape one edge on the return edge of a thigh if I remember rightly but that's about it.

And just look at those biceps! And those thighs! GRRRR! :wub:

Happy new year to you and Coney xxx .

Cheers, mate. Same to you and yours. See you in spring maybe.

• 2 weeks later...

With the excpetion of the thermal detonator, my build is complete ...

DSCF2857.jpg

DSCF2860.jpg

DSCF2864.jpg

DSCF2865.jpg

DSCF2866.jpg

DSCF2868.jpg

DSCF2870.jpg

DSCF2871.jpg

DSCF2873.jpg

DSCF2874.jpg

DSCF2875.jpg

DSCF2876.jpg

DSCF2877.jpg

DSCF2880.jpg

DSCF2882.jpg

DSCF2883.jpg

DSCF2884.jpg

DSCF2886.jpg

DSCF2887.jpg

DSCF2888.jpg

DSCF2889.jpg

DSCF2890.jpg

DSCF2893.jpg

DSCF2849.jpg

Stunning work mate! But why the sale? I though this would be your new primary trooping kit.

Good luck either way. Whoever snaps this up will be very happy. :duim:

I feel a great disturbance in the force :-(

Hope it works out for you!

Thanks, man. It will. And I'm sure we'll find a good home for this lovely set of armour too.

Top job on the armour build mate you look like you just left the set :)

Cheers, mate. It was a lot of fun to build. No need for adjustments. If you build the RS the same way as the originals, it simply is a stormtrooper!

Hi mate , awsome build a true ANH Stormtrooper , Rich did you trim a lot of the bottom of the shins ?

I tried to follow the natural line as much as possible. With these I find that they need to be cut with a steep arc. The U-shaped bits at the sides which cover the ankles swoop down low, but at the front and the back the cut goes quite high, so they look long but fit nice and low over your boots.

If you don't cut the steep swoop, they'll be left too long I think.

I know you always trimmed a bit off the bottoms on your TM so you might have to do the same on these for comfort. From memory they are pretty much the same length along the finishing strips.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...