ANH Pipe Kit build

So I've actually been doing this build for a few months now, and I decided that maybe I should post a W.I.P thread for my E-11 ANH blaster. :P

A few things before I start though:

- I did the majority or the drilling with a pedestal drill. While having to vice and unvice the pipe constantly may have caused a little bit of warping (I haven't noticed any yet) and took a long time to keep doing, I feel that it increased drilling accuracy a lot more.

- I am using the DoopyDoos pipe kit, the DoopyDoos M38 Scope replica, and a length of aluminium pipe to do this build.

- To be honest, I think that PVC pipe would have been sooooo much easier, it just would have been simpler to cut and drill everything. Anyway, that's for the next blaster I do. :)

- I'm sure I was going to say more but I have forgotten. :P

Before I started doing the pilot holes and using the hole punches I tried blind drilling with the pedestal drill...results were poor

IMG_0138.jpg

Then I made some pilot dents with a hole punch thingy

IMG_0135.jpg

Then I had to do bigger ones dry.gifResized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0137.jpg

The bigger dents seemed to improve the accuracy of the drilling quite a bit. smile.gif

IMG_0139.jpg

But then, unfortunately, the drill bit exploded (I pushed down too fast. :/) and I am lucky that I was wearing safery glasses, as it decided to explode in the general direction of my face...but there were no injuries, luckily.

The holes seem to be slightly off-centre, although without the templates on it I don't think it will be that noticeable (at least I hope not sad.gif)

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Basically all of the holes drilled.smile.gif However the one on the end (far left) I do not know the purpose of... why is it there? It doesn't have any special markings or anything other than the measurements...apparently it is for the folding stock to clip onto, but seeing as how I have a DoopyDoos kit..I don't see the point of it

IMG_0151.jpg

I was super-excited when my resin kit arrived. I had to dust the pieces ff though, there was a lot of resin residue on them. Nothing major though.

All laid put before dusting and stuff.

IMG_0149.jpg

And the shot with the half-finished pipe. smile.gif

IMG_0152.jpg

****This is where I am at now****

I have hit a bit of a snag. sad.gif The resin parts don't fit properly onto the pipe.

The front of the stock sits too high and can't be glued that way at all. Even after drilling out the 12.7mm hole it still sits up off of the pipe, even when I put the knobby bit into the hole. It almost seems like it actually has to go past the hole for the rest of the parts to line up properly to the templates. Although the part where the folding stock barrel mount cylinder goes does say 'adjust if necessary'.

IMG_0460.jpg

The two parts of the stock don't join properly if I want the back half of it to join properly to the little cylinder thing.

For the two parts to connect the back half of the stock can't attach properly to the cylinder holdy thing.

IMG_0462.jpg

If I try to make all of the parts of it connect together and stay together it does this...

IMG_0463.jpg

Anyone got any idea what I am doing wrong? Or any advice to get it all to work?

Edited by Spectre

Hi John! It's not fitting because you've got the folding stock sitting way too far back. This bit here:

IMG_0460.jpg

Is supposed to sit forward of the muzzle like this:

Picture5-4.png

That's why it's sitting so high instead of flush on the pipe surface.

That larger hole is for the folding stock clip, you are correct, however this spring clip is well under the folding stock mid section and is not present on the doopy doos kit. Since this bit doesn't exist on the resin kit you don't need to worry about it. It's for functional folding stocks only.

Are you using 40mm or 38.1mm pipe for this build?

Oooooohh, I see! Wow I should really start looking at movie screenshots. :P Thank you so much for the advice! :D

Yeah I thought so, does it matter that I have drilled it though?

I'm using 40mm pipe. :)

So more like that?

IMG_0504.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0506.jpg

I think that tomorrow I will start roughing up the pipe with sandpaper/small dents (with the dremel) after I clean it and start attaching some pieces. smile.gif

I do have another question:

The ejector port part, the cylinder that goes in the pipe, it won't actually go into y pipe. It goes about 10mm or so in but then gets stuck. Would that be because my pipe has been pushed out of shape? Or should I just get a mallet or something and slam it in? I'm a bit hesitant to do that in case it shattrers the resin, and even if it doesn't how would I get it to the ejector port from the end of the pipe?

This is as far in as I can get it without applying a lot of force, but if I make it go in further I cannot pull it back out.

Also you can see in the first picture that I sorta botched up the hole at the end of the cocking lever. :/ But oh well, lesson learned for my next build. :P

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

How does it fit if you slide it in from the muzzle end instead? It could be that your pipe has been distorted a little or perhaps the wall thickness of the pipe is too much and so the inner diameter is too tight for the outer diameter of the bolt?

Whatever you do don't hit the resin with a hammer! You'd be better off to sand down the bolt a bit to make it fit better.

Nah it doesn't fit in from the muzzle either. It could be either distorted or too thick internally, the vice might have distorted it on any of the occasions that I had it in there. I'll try sanding it down a tiny bit at a time tomorrow, and see how I go.

Yeah I didn't think that was the way to go. :P

sand the back side of the bolt where you won't see it inside the tube, and then it will fit.

I also put a length of PVC inside the bolt for the inner front barrel.

3/4" fits inside the bolt. then I use a piece of 1 1/4" pvc for the rear part of the bolt and sculpt the detail for the breech

blade.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand I just realised I haven't got a Henglster counter or power cylinders. sad.gif

I think DoopyDoos has them, but the picture is of a Garfield thing unsure.gif Not sure what's with that. You can see what I am talking about HERE. Or is that what I need and they just have a indeed, silly picture on it?

Also I'm gonna need power cylinders, so I'll search around the boards to see for what I can do for them.

So this is where I am at now. smile.gif

Resized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0511.jpg

Resized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0513.jpg

IMG_0514.jpg

IMG_0515.jpg

Nearly done! I just need to add the scope, end cap, t-track, henglster counter (when I order one :S) and power cylinders and wires. smile.gif

The fore section of the stock didn't quite sit right, and I couldn't move it any further forward because of where I put the handle, but I think it has set good and proper now.

I had to sand down the cocking bolt quite a lot, as well as the cocking base. It all fits now though.

For the 'spring' I got a length of wire and wrapped it as tightly as I could around a shovel handle, then shoved it into the pipe.

I feel that it looks quite good. smile.gif

IMG_0516.jpg

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0522.jpg

Resized to 86% (was 960 x 720) - Click image to enlargeIMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

• 1 month later...

So while I am trying to find a Henglster counter I might as well try and make the power cylinders. I was going to make the bracket out of a piece of ABS, but unfortunately as I was bending it (using the boiling water method) the little arms on the end that hold up the cylinders snapped off. :/ I'll probably have to make it with metal, but I haven't got any I can use for now, so until I get my Henglster counter or locate some aluminium my build is stalled again.

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

Edited by Spectre

Look to the Vern for power cylinders.

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=16924

Odd the droopy kit didn't come with counter and cylinders.

Aloha,

-Eric

• 1 month later...

So this has been dead a while and I didn't want this thread to end up like countless others that sorta float around almost finished. laugh.gif

Tonight I re-attached some parts to my blaster since they fell off. unsure.gif

I got my dad to help me drill the holes cos I was afraid of cracking the resin, and it did slightly crack at one point (not enough to do any irreperable damage though) but in the end it's all good.

The rear sight and scope rail are now screwed on, as are the scope, counter bracket and Hengstler counter. Just gotta repaint it and then wait for thew power cylinder kit to finish it. cool.gif

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Screws holding the scope to the rail and the counter bracket to the rail.

IMG_0021.jpg

Screw holding the scope rail/rear sight to the blaster. (a little off-centre :/)IMG_0022.jpg

Screw holding the counter to the bracket/scope rail.

IMG_0023.jpg

Edited by Spectre