Martin's TM ANH Stunt build [*TM]

MartinSivertsen

For what it's worth, I would stick to the heavy duty snaps. Especially the shoulder connections. The knee plate, just glue the middle part first,clamp it then let it cure. Then glue the sides, clamp and cure. Trying to glue it all at once is difficult, believe me I have tried.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The knee plate, just glue the middle part first,clamp it then let it cure. Then glue the sides, clamp and cure. Trying to glue it all at once is difficult, believe me I have tried.

Agreed. You don't need a heatgun, just some strong clamps. And don't mount it too high like people used to. Let the angles line up with the angles on the shin, so the bottom of the knee plate is horizontal.

Thanks for the tip, guys.

Ā 

I tried a vice to hold the front of the kneeplate flush into the shin, and then push the sides in to meet the edge on both sides, but it seems like a little of the shin is visible over the sides of the kneeplate, but I guess that's acceptable, as seen on this picture of SW1's 1mm TM suit (built by Troopermaster):

Ā 

DSCF2979.jpg

Ā 

ji9op.jpg

Ā 

bUpFQ.jpg

Ā 

894bC.jpg

I've painted the ear screws and the split rivets on the side of the abdomen white, glued the cover strips on the backs of the thighs and installed a few more snaps.

Ā 

What I'm missing now (from top to bottom) is:

- Padding (MICH pads ordered from the bay of e)

- Chin strap

- Frown mesh

- Neckseal (ordered from TK409)

- Glueing on the plastic ribbed shoulder straps

- Sewing/installing snaps for the shoulderbells on the white elastic

- Maybe making some hooks to keep the biceps up by hooking onto the elastic at the bottom of the shoulderbell

- Maybe installing some foam padding in the forearms to keep them in place

- Thigh garters (already been in touch with MightyTank here on FISD)

- Belt: connecting canvas to plastic, and riveting on holster (waiting on canvas belt that's hopefully on it's way in the mail)

- Fasten thigh ammo box

- Glue on kneeplate

- Glue on rear cover strips on shins (Still waiting on an answer as to how I can avoid the shins riding up the boots and the boots slipping out, have the shins tight or loose at the ankles over the boots?)

Ā 

And I think that's about it.

Hoping to be done by next week and send in an application to be approved!

I don't know if there's a special technique to keeping the shins where they are. I don't have a lot of issues with that and I never thought about that when I built my shins. I use tk-boots btw. I wouldn't let that be a showstopper.

That puts my mind a little at ease regarding the shins, thanks guys.

I also saw a thread TKittel made regarding this where he used velcrostrips.

Guess it's just a matter of finishing the shins and dealing with the problem if and when it should arise.

I have the same problem with the knee plate shin riding up. I saw another suggestion which is to put a snap on the elastic of the boot and one inside the bottom of the shin and that would hold it in place.

Ā 

So many options lol. These forums are great

Glued on ribbed shoulder straps:

Ā 

RxnJf.jpg

Ā 

Sprayed my mannequin on strategic locations:

Ā 

XZ6Sw.jpg

Ā 

Forced the armor on him (he has a wee bit shorter legs than me. I think. He is my height, but he is standing on his toes.)

The thighs are supposed to sit a tad lower and the calfs a tad higher.

The boots aren't on him , as they are impossible to get on.

And his calfs are too thick (or they don't have the right swoop on the inside), so the shins won't close fully.

Going to have to do something about that. Remove some of the meat on his shins maybe.

The pieces fit well on me, and that's what counts.

Ā 

SmTWr.jpg

Ā 

zJhUB.jpg

Ā 

sIBsk.jpg

Ā 

Noticed something I might have to deal with though...

I have fixed the chest to the abdomen so that it sits symmetrical along the edges, but the abdomen is crooked, and the codpiece ends up being misaligned.

I hate to think it, but i might have to rip out and re-install the snap-plates on the chest and upper back to rotate the midsection slightly and get the codpiece to center. Anyone have any experience with this?

Edited by MartinSivertsen

I think I can see whats causing the problem, try removing the strap in the middle of the chest piece connected to the ab , see if this corrects it. I was looking at my armor and noticed the box in the middle of the ab was in the center but TM armor it's offset to one side if you know what I mean.

I was looking at my armor and noticed the box in the middle of the ab was in the center but TM armor it's offset to one side if you know what I mean.

That box i supposed to be there. only ROTJ-linage armour (I'm guessing idealized kit have that too) has that box in the center.

Got some really nice pads that i installed it the helmet, so now it sits snug and nice.

Fitted the shoulderbells with snaps and elastics.

Glued on ab buttons (finally!).

So slowly but surely.

Ā 

Here are the helmet pads by the way:

Ā 

22jeK.jpg

Ā 

And now I've tried to fasten the thigh ammo belt, not sure if I'm completely satisfied with that

Used Troopermasters personal (now SW1's) 1mm suit as reference on this:

Ā 

DSCF3040.jpg

uppC4.jpg

Ā 

DSCF3039.jpg

0wZMY.jpg

Ā 

DSCF3041.jpg

s1oSl.jpg

Ā 

yOq3a.jpg

Ā 

And I managed to eventually get some fractures in the thigh ammo belt from forcing it tight around, don't really know if or what I should do about that:

Ā 

CnhBb.jpg

X0VmL.jpg

NBnb4.jpg

Ā 

It looks really crooked in reference to the cover strip, not really sure if it should look like that or if wonky is the way to go.

WNr9B.jpg

Wonky is the way to go ;)

Ā 

You need to heat acrylic capped ABS if you want it to bend. Stressing the plastic will just make it crack. This does not happen with regular ABS. It's the acrylic capping that makes it brittle.

Ā 

I have a few spare ammo straps if you want me to send you another?