Cast from Original (CfO) - ROTJ Death Star stormtrooper build - Going for the hattrick! [*CFO]

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I even found an hour or so to start trimming ...

Ā 

I took advantage of the fact that the kit comes with a protective film and marked the trim lines with marker pen, safe in the knowledge that I could just peel it all off when I was done ...

Ā 

DSCF1335.jpg

Ā 

I started with the larger torso parts, obviously leaving no return edge because all these parts ahve the PVC trim fitted to the edge ...

Ā 

DSCF1331.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1332.jpg

Ā 

A couple of trimmed parts ...

Ā 

DSCF1333.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1334.jpg

Ā 

Then I decided to try fitting a bit of PVC trim ...

Ā 

DSCF1337.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Bit quiet on the work front today so I managed to make progress on my kit.

Ā 

I cut all the PVC trim to size. Just need to stock up on super glue before I glue it on. No mistakes as far as I can make out so far so I had plenty to spare.

Ā 

DSCF1351.jpg

Ā 

I also trimmed both sets of thigh armour and glued them both at the front. Theyā€™re still drying on the shelf. This stuff goes together very well indeed. This is the first kit Iā€™ve put together with an overlap method so itā€™s going to be a breeze compared to all the cutting of cover strips.

Ā 

DSCF1339.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1340.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1341.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1342.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1343.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1344.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1345.jpg

Ā 

I discovered I still had a set of Jesseā€™s clips so I pressed on and assembled my thermal detonator.

Ā 

DSCF1346.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1347.jpg

Ā 

Even put a belt together.

Ā 

DSCF1349.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Wow Rich, you're really racing through thIs build. I'm glad it goes together well. I spent quite a bit of time getting everything to match correctly. There are few bits here and there but it goes together pretty well compared to most. :)

Wow Rich, you're really racing through thIs build. I'm glad it goes together well. I spent quite a bit of time getting everything to match correctly. There are few bits here and there but it goes together pretty well compared to most. :)

Ā 

At the moment it looks like the biceps are going to be the only challenging parts! :laugh1::P

Ā 

Seriously, I've found working with the 1.5mm gauge stuff really easy. It's a good thickness in general. Flexible but still thick and sturdy enough. The thighs matched up well anyway.

Ā 

I'm enjoying myself as ever. :D

Oooh, too cute, with loop ^_^

http://img.photobuck...11/DSCF1347.jpg

...but you have no fear to put together the parts without the use with masking tape at the overlap area?!...is that E-6000?

Cheers...

Edited by DarthChridan

Oooh, too cute, with loop ^_^

http://img.photobuck...11/DSCF1347.jpg

...but you have no fear to put together the parts without the use with masking tape at the overlap area?!...is that E-6000?

Cheers...

Ā 

Yes, it's E6000 and scrapes right off when dried. Like this ... :D

Ā 

Some finished parts from yesterday:

Ā 

Ā 

DSCF1352.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1354.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Iā€™m not quite sure what to do with the backs of the calves yet. I have quite thick ankles and Iā€™m pretty sure I wonā€™t be able to close the backs without some extra material. I have cut them with a lot of allowance so far and might just try leaving them with the extra material. It looks a little weird so I may trim to the natural line and then insert some kind of shim to make it look neater. Iā€™ll leave that until Iā€™ve got my boots on though.

Ā 

DSCF1355.jpg

Edited by Rick330

I put together a belt assembly this morning. Again, no claims for the accuracy of the fastening method. This is designed to be functional on the inside and look as accurate as possible on the outside. The visible rivets are in pretty much the right place; on the inside I went for a system of snaps so that I can easily replace the belt material if I wish.

Ā 

DSCF1356.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1357.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1358.jpg

Ā 

DSCF1359.jpg

Edited by Rick330

Quick note ...

You'll no doubt see that my inner drop boxes are quite a bit smaller than the outer drop boxes. The CfO kit does not include inner drop boxes so I bought a set of Kevin's. It looks like ROTJ drop boxes were a bit longer than ANH. I'm not entirely certain though. Maybe someone can chime in.

Measure your drop boxes and I'll tell you if they are the same as on Simons ANH suit or not.

Ā 

The CfO boxes are 126 mm x 65 mm.

Ā 

The inner drop boxes are these: http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=8638&st=0. They are designed specifically for TE derived armour.

Ā 

The question is though, were the drop boxes on ROTJ suits the same size as the ANH suits? I don't know whether it's my eyes or what but they seem to vary in length in the screen caps.

Another quick question ...

Ā 

Visible rivets (on the belt and sniper plate etc.) - paint them white or leave them plain? What's the consensus?

Ā 

I would paint them white, but leave the rivets on the belt holding your holster unpainted.

Ā 

Also, the clips on your 02 canister are not the same as used in ROTJ. I don't know exactly what they used for these, but they are thinner and close together than the ones used in ANH.

ROTJ02.jpg

Ā 

I would paint them white, but leave the rivets on the belt holding your holster unpainted.

Ā 

Also, the clips on your 02 canister are not the same as used in ROTJ. I don't know exactly what they used for these, but they are thinner and close together than the ones used in ANH.

ROTJ02.jpg

Ā 

OK, cheers, Paul. Phase 1 of the build is without a holster but it looks like most (all) of the troopers on the Death Star had them so I will eventually get one.

Ā 

I realise the clips are far from accurate. Had a set of Jesse's posh clips lying round and admit to cutting corners on that one :blush: