Getting my AP Kit soon

Hey there FISD, Since I'm quite a beginner with all this armormaking I'd like some tips about what preparations i could make before getting my brown box of happiness. I already got most of the tools, just gonna order some glue and get a better pair of scissors, but is there anything else i would need to get?

Regards

Alexander

EDIT: Also are there things in the kit that i would have to replace to get EIB?

Edited by 1mpulseS0D

Heres a few things quick

Blaster (Doopydoos has full kits and Hasbro or pipe conversion kits)

Leather holster (Can be found here in the Commisary)

Belt (Commisary)

Snaps (http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/Fasteners/Snap_Fasteners/Snap_Fastener_Buttons/index.html is where I get mine)

Split rivets or brads

A small sheet of ABS white plastic or HIPS for making snap plate. I got mine from a local sign shop. But some hardware stores will carry it.

Accurate Hovi mic tips. I believe the AP ones are not EIB acceptable (Commisary)

Replacement green tinted welding shield for the eyes depending on what the AP comes with. Any local welding supply house will carry these.

Humbrol or Testors model paint for the helmet and ab plate details.

Boots (TKboots)

Fabric for strapping: 1 inch black webbing get like 10 feet to start.

1 inch black elastic 5 feet for sure

1.5 inch white webbing for the shoulder connections. Just need a foot or 2.

Get some plastic weld too. Its nice to use on the inside of the armor in addition to the E6000 or whatever other glue you are using. I wouldnt use it too much on the outside as it can be visible and does "Melt" the plastic in order to do its job.

Ill add more as I think of it. You will find that you always forget something and need to make another run to the stores. lol

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Will the standard ones that comes with the kit stand up for 501st standards?

Yes, but not EIB. But new EIB proof Hovis are really not expensive. You can get them from a member here for about 50 SEK (£5) + shipping.

And the lens, will they be good for the 501st standard? Since I'm only 16 i got two years to make my suit EIB ready :) Just going for a 501st ready one right now, though trying to get all the hard-to-replace stuff EIB ready from start.

I think you will have less trouble if you make it EIB/Centurion ready from the start, so you won't have to redo so many things later. And yes, the lenses in the AP kit (acetate) is good enough for all standards.

Since your new and just starting out, and im in a good mood, :DI will gladly send ya a set of accurate Mic tips and a strip of the welders lens material for just the shipping..which id say is about $5. :) Pm me your addy and ill let ya know my Paypal for the $5

Since your new and just starting out, and im in a good mood, :DI will gladly send ya a set of accurate Mic tips and a strip of the welders lens material for just the shipping..which id say is about $5. :) Pm me your addy and ill let ya know my Paypal for the $5

That's really cool of you Lou! :duim:

you can also look up TK 4510 for belts, AB button decals.

on an AP lens, I put one way mirror film on the inside.

like a sandtrooper lens... works great in the sun...

It's from TK4510 I'm ordering the glue and paint from, will probably order belt too :) And since I'm ordering paint for the helmet can't i use it for the buttons too?

Edited by 1mpulseS0D

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I used a dremmel for was on the teeth and eyes of the helmet. For everything else I used Tin snips. Red handle and Green handle (Lefts and rights)

Safer, cleaner and much easier than a dremel or a knife in my opinion.