Spilt Rivets - how do you fan them out?

Do you mean bifurcated rivets?

I think thats what he means.

I used a small screwdriver to "open" those types of rivets, although i dont know if mine are thinner and weaker than yours John.

I thought you needed a specialized tool use the split / bifurcated rivets.

Why? You just need to bend the legs outward. I haven't done this on mine yet, so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but to me it seams really straightforward.

Why? You just need to bend the legs outward. I haven't done this on mine yet, so maybe I shouldn't say anything, but to me it seams really straightforward.

I would think it depends on the thickness of the "legs". I've seen special anvils and special attachments to close them on a press in a couple of sites. One guy hand made something he attached to some vice grips and created his own jury rigged hand press. Other said just use a flat anvil and they should spread properly.

I would think it depends on the thickness of the "legs". I've seen special anvils and special attachments to close them on a press in a couple of sites. One guy hand made something he attached to some vice grips and created his own jury rigged hand press. Other said just use a flat anvil and they should spread properly.

I haven't seen that, so if they have really big industrial strength rivets that might be required. With mine i doubt anything more than a pair of pliers and/or a swiss army knife would be needed.

I'll give it go

Yes, bifurcated rivets. My legs are quite thick and would take a lot of force to splay flat

I think mine are meant to curve and not go totally flat...?

The legs do travel upto about 2mm from the head mind, so they should splay ok I guess

They come in various styles and the ones I have are tough SOB's. I use a thin chisel to start getting the legs spread, then use a hammer to flatten them against my vice. It can get very tricky in certain areas so be careful you don't damage any plastic if you try my method.

I've since found some nice brass brads which have the same head size as the bifurcated rivets and I am using them from now on. Anyone else who is (or wants to) use brads, make sure you cut off the excess length of the legs so they don't protrude past the edge of the washers ;)

Here's another idea:

Take split rivet in your right hand.

Open window.

Throw the split rivet up in front of you.

Switch on handheld fan in your left hand.

Hold fan so the rivet will be hit by the air flow when it comes back down (timing and coordination is tricky, I know)

Watch how the rivet gets fanned out the window!

Here's an illustration:

----------

Then go get some brads and bend them using your fingers :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

:):):)

On 4/20/2011 at 11:01 PM, R2Dan said:

Here's another idea:

Take split rivet in your right hand.

Open window.

Throw the split rivet up in front of you.

Switch on handheld fan in your left hand.

Hold fan so the rivet will by hit be the air flow when it comes back down (timing and coordination is tricky, I know)

Watch how the rivet gets fanned out the window!

Here's an illustration:

------

Then go get some brads and bend them using your fingers :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

I just did my split rivets and did as Mark said and used a screwdriver and a pair of pliers. I used the round "rod" of the screwdriver in between the rivet legs pushing it down with the pliers to spread the legs just so much that they hold the washer in place. Then I only used the pliers to bend the legs down completely over the washer.