ridge m38 tank scope

I'm working on a new E-11 blaster, like everyone, I started studying some pictures of blasters screen used.

I was checking some reference pictures and watched a small flange on the m38 scope of some ANH stormtroopers and Sandtroopers.

Maybe it's an old topic, but I would like to know if there is information about.

Here some pictures. observe the red arrow that points to the ridge (I called CRESTA is Spanish ;) )

crestascope1.jpg

crestascope2.jpg

crestascope3.jpg

crestascope4.jpg

crestascope5.jpg

crestascope6.jpg

crestascope7.jpg

the scopes you point out on the tantive IV are all m19's.

the top section of the scope on the M38 is exactly 1" long... so the T Track section is about 3/4 of an inch long.

you can tell that it's GINO style profile T TRACK because it has the curved lower profile.

the M38 in the sand trooper photos shows also that the T Track was placed on the M38's at the front AND the rear.

as shown in your photo below:

crestascope1.jpg

and the m19 design with only T Track on the front

crestascope4.jpg

you can clearly see that karin's knuckle cutouts are on the above photo, as well as the fact that the wires are thin, and not

large looped shaver wires.

you can also see that the T Track does not allow the holes under it to be seen, so all your blaster replicas that

show holes under the T Tracks all along the barrel clearly shows that your T Tracks are not wide enough.

if you look closely you can see that the T Tracks are tapered to fit inside the holes by cutting off their width!

and you can also see the power cells on the mag well have silver tips!!

also if you look, you can see black bicep/shoulderbell elastic on the sandys...

if anyone wants this feature on their very own blaster... I can make it that way...

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

Have they also made resin copys from the real scopes?

If yes, this could be the sprue from moulding it, and they only were to lazy to cut that down.

See this often on cast steel parts at work.

This blaster were sold on a auction right?

crestascope5.jpg

This here:

baptystormtrooper1.jpg

But here is this "thing" not to see.

Well, two option's they changed the scope on this blaster or this part fall off.

as well as the fact that the wires are thin, and not large looped shaver wires.

Vern, How would you do the wires? I can see they're not curved, but the pic is blurry

crestascope4.jpg

if you look closely you can see a red dot.

people have mentioned before and I've seen photos where the inside wire looks like it's got

green insulation on it, and the outside wire has red insulation on it.

the wires in this photo seem to be attached to the hengstler below the silver plug pins

on the front of the hengstler body. they seem to be thin electronics part wires and I've seen 4 coils about the

size of a pencil.

actually it's just best to leave the wires off.

• 2 weeks later...

I think turrican has got this right and they are excess resin from molding the scopes, i have an M19 and an M38 and both came on the mounting brackets and neither had this part on, all the scopes i have seen for sale have not had it either , some of the scopes in the pics dont have it and their are M19s and M38s pictured so it seems the right explanation.

Good call turrican B)

I have the original m38/ and m40 scopes with mounting base for the sherman tank. there is no clip or LED assembly like

an M38 A. there is nothing on the original scope mounting, or assembly to account for this part.

none of the resin scopes I have have EVER had any casting sprue. the seam line is usually non existant on doopy do scopes.

since he uses the glove mould concept, not a 2 part mould.

it's obviously a piece of T Track.

steve, for one single time in all this blaster work I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point.

it's clearly a T Track.

Sorry for hijacking the thread somewhat: which E11 blaster is the absolute most screen accurate ANH blaster then?

Also why have i heard TDs don't have shoulder bells under their paldron when i can clearly see them in that screenshot?

Cheers

none of the resin scopes I have have EVER had any casting sprue. the seam line is usually non existant on doopy do scopes.

since he uses the glove mould concept, not a 2 part mould.

it's obviously a piece of T Track.

steve, for one single time in all this blaster work I have to respectfully disagree with you on this point.

it's clearly a T Track.

I can see where your coming from Vern but it looks to be an oblong block and i cant see a t shape there,then again my eyesite is pants !! lol

Regarding the molding we ask for a better casting on our props for display and costuming and cast the other way round so as not to lose the lettering and detail on top of the scope , on the movies they were only background props so they didnt need to have the amount of detail we require, they may have stuck the blocks on the original scopes before casting and inverted the scope in a i piece mold ,some may have been cut off and some were'nt......maybe :)

Edited by TANGO'D FETT

• 4 weeks later...

I stand by my concept of the cresta being a piece of T Track.

I have a scope here, and some T Track. I'll put them together and take a photo.

give me a day or so.

could it be that this is a feature on only one blaster and its the one used in all of these scenes, we know the tunisia scenes were filmed first so the second "piece" shown in that pic could have been removed or broken off then or soon after but before the other scenes were filmed ?

EDIT: Sorry just noticed the sandy's is one of the castings where the others are not. (rear sight & scope rail mounting gave it away)

Edited by gh05ty