AP lid progress and advice.

---------

Hello everybody. Just wanted to get some opinions on my helmet build so far. I'd rather put things right now rather than when I have things like lenses fitted. Any criticism is more than welcome. So, how am I doing?

Many thanks,

Rob.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thank you for the comments. I used two rivets just for a bit more strength and so the face plate would'nt keep pivoting while I kept test fitting the ears. I know that only one rivet should be used for screen accuracy inside the helmet but I'm pimping out the inside anyway.

Edited by matt black

You did a good job on cutting the eyes and teeth out, lookin' good so far.

I've never seen anyone rivet it together before hand, I remember having to do several test fits and adjustments with the ears before I got a good fit. Not sure if the rivets will help or hinder. Looking forward to seeing how it pans out.

Thanks for the kind worde Matt. I saw the pics of your AP in the other thread. Looks like you did a lovely job. I riveted the cap and face plate together as I'm following the basic helmet assembly guide by TK-4510 and thats how it shows it to be done. :salute:

I see nothing wrong with what you have completed so far. Looks good. You can use however many rivets you want so long as the ear cap covers it. I never used a rivet on my helmet, just screws and washers, but whatever works.

Thanks for the kind worde Matt. I saw the pics of your AP in the other thread. Looks like you did a lovely job. I riveted the cap and face plate together as I'm following the basic helmet assembly guide by TK-4510 and thats how it shows it to be done. :salute:

Awesome Matt, Mike's guide is top notch, looks like we learn something new everday :)

Great work Matt! Keep up the good work!!

Edited by RogueTrooper

Thanks everyone. Great to know I have not made any mistakes yet. I've finished both ears now and I'm just starting on the lenses. Should have the helmet finished by the end of the weekend. WOO HOO!

Yes Mark I did. Does something not look right about them? Now that you mention it. I think they are sitting a bit proud. Should I use a larger drill bit on the ears so they sit a little more flush?

Cheers.

Edited by matt black

Yes Mark I did. Does something not look right about them? Now that you mention it. I think they are sitting a bit proud. Should I use a larger drill bit on the ears so they sit a little more flush?

Cheers.

They just seemed too small, I guess it's just a illusion since they are not painted white yet.

I would use a larger drill so they sit a little more flush, then use a exacto around edge of hole to create counter sink so screw sits nice and flush.

Mark

Ah you know what. You have made me realize, I used the wrong fitting kit. I got a fitting kit from Mark (TK-4510) ages ago when I ordered a load of bit's from him. I must have mixed up the kits somehow. Do you think it will matter that the heads are a little smaller? Man, you've got a really good eye!

I've done loads of work on the helmet and it's not far off done. I'm just about to paint the black lines aroud the grey parts on the ears. I know that you can get the black trim tape for this but I have that on another helmet and I have found that over time it slides down due to it being on a slope. My question is, I know I'm going to mess this up but were the lines on the screen used helmets perfect or were they wobley like mine are going to be?

Ah you know what. You have made me realize, I used the wrong fitting kit. I got a fitting kit from Mark (TK-4510) ages ago when I ordered a load of bit's from him. I must have mixed up the kits somehow. Do you think it will matter that the heads are a little smaller? Man, you've got a really good eye!

If you can change them I would, if I was able to notice them from the photos it's even more noticeable in person, my kit comes with same size screw as original, remember it's the small details that make the big difference!

Mark