My ears.

So I got a nice new set of 4 bumped stunt ANH ears for my lid which came with flat bumps (No idea why it came like that). I've tried for the past 3 days to get these suckers to sit right, but they just won't go on properly. I'm almost ready to give up.

So a quick question regarding them. If I can't get them to fit despite cutting, trimming, sanding, filing etc. Would I be able to just cut off the ring with the bumps and glue them to my old ears? Or would this STILL = FAIL for 501st UK garisson exceptance?

Obviously before I take any drastic measure and hack off the bumps, I'll seek the opinion of the seller. But I'm open to suggestions from other more experienced armor helmet makers.

PLEASE NOTE this is in NO way the fault of the seller, he is a top bloke, it's more to do with my lack of experience and skill with this sort of thing and possibly the weirdness of my TK helmet.

Kind of lost on this. Do you mean your new ears won't lay right? If that is the case that is easy. Just trim and lightly heat so that you can get them to fit to the bucket better. Also depends though on what bucket you have and what bucket the ears are for a little. But, you can still work with it. I would really replace the whole ear piece before I went cutting parts of this and replacing with that. I mean, you could do it but you would really need to be careful that it doesn't look like it is all pieced together. Got any pictures of it?

vbw5uyv.jpg

One side fits better than the other, but it just won't fit right. I don't want to take much more off it as I'd be left with a huge gap at the front AND the back.

Also examining the ears side-by-side. The circular part on the new ears are smaller than the ones that were on it previously, so the screw holes are also in a different place.

I'm still not sure what make the bucket is.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

On 2/4/2011 at 2:04 AM, Sonnenschein said:

Doesn't look bad at all.

For best results always screw them on, as the plastik bends

Also, take a look at this ------- Many useful tips there!

Good link for that! ;)

Yeah, doesn't look to bad! A lot of that will lay down when you screw them on. If you still want a better fit then trim and heat if necessary. I don't think you will have much of that to do if you screw them on there.

Since the replacement ears that you purchased were meant for a different style of helmet and the helmet that you are working on is an FX style helmet, the new ears were not made to fit the contour of the FX style lid. Thus the "hair pulling" experience that you have had for the past three days.

If I may suggest two options:

(1) just cut the center part out of the new ears (the bump with the four ridges), glue them to the original ears, fill, sand , smooth and paint and you should be good to go.

(2)Or you could take the original center bump that is flat that came with your FX style helmet, buy a dowel rod and file or sand down the dowel rod until it is a half circle. Then cut the half circle dowel rod into four sections that will fit onto the flat center to make up the four ridges. Glue them, sand them and paint them.

If you use either of these methods, you should have no problem getting your 501st clearance, or at least for your ears.

screw the caps on, redrill if needed, no big deal. then with a pencil lay it against the side of the helmet, put the tip of the pencil against the earpiece at the widest gap, take note, now run the pencil down the side of the piece keeping the tip at the relative position of the gap, trim off the plastic. what your basically doing is scribing the contour of the helmet onto the piece. make sense? it does in my head.

Thanks for the link and the advice. At the moment I can't screw it down because of the different position of the bottom circle screw hole. Also as this set of ears is a slightly different shape and lie, I'll need some new longer screws, so I'll get those first before I even start on the other ear.

As for heating, will a hair dryer be hot enough or will I have to use a heat gun?

Follow up question. Does anyone know the size (Diameter) the screws are or are they all different?

If they ARE different, anyone know a good place I can buy 6 screws with nuts to go on the end?

Preferably UK sellers.

Cheers for the help guys, much apreciated.

Ok here's a pic of the helmet.

y0XUc1T.jpg

The ears were made by John Danter. Top bloke.

I've managed to get one of the ears to fit a bit better now, thanks to the advice from you awesome lot. Once I get the 3 screws on (Only 2 on at the moment as I need to drill a new hole for the bottom circle screw), I think it'll be alright.

Here's 2 pics of the new ear on.

sUKSkIo.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

The bumps are glued on this one, as is the vocoder. They just forgot them.

Really? Glued on? Well I'm learning more and more every day I'm here.

Tomorrow I'll start work on the other ear and wait patiently for all my other stuff to turn up; Snaps, webbing, elastic and belt.

Then on to the armor fitting!

I could be wrong here but that doesn't look like a genuine SDS. It looks more like one of those recasts from ebay.If you get stuck, you can send the helmet to me and I will put you a new pair of TM ear caps on for you. PM me if you need some help :)

Thanks for the offer, much apreciated. I'll see how it goes tomorrow with the ear and if I reach the point where I want to tear my hair out, I'll get back to you. :lol:

As for the recast SDS helmet, it really wouldn't suprise me now. After the other issues I've had with the armour and looking at it over closely, the lines are not clean in some areas, especialy the 'O II' on the back.

There are a few other dodgy areas on the armour, but as I was a noob going in to it I didn't really know for sure what I was getting and that's my fault for not doing more research before I bought it.

I'm a full advocate for not believing what anyone on ebay says.

Next time, I'll get my armour from a trused member of the FISD. But that won't be for a long while yet.

Bit of an update for you. I worked on the ears some more today. Hurray for a day off work!

So I've now 'fitted' both ears and they don't look too bad...from the front. Not so hot from behind.

I still think I should replace the screws for longer ones with a better head.

Also still need to drill and screw in the bottom circle ear part which I'll do later on. Oh and of course I need to paint the grey on the bumps.

Any thoughts?

------

Have you put them on the right way?

The ears slope backward, toward your neck. Sorry if you have, just trying to figure out what's up

My ears are meant to fit TE type lids. Although lots have been used on MR lids quite successfully...?

But that looks cool to me. Check the films out. They were all over the shop :)

Edited by john danter