Rivet size

Um... hopefully none that show. Regular pop rivets will hold the drop boxes on if you have 2 part boxes. 3/8" split rivets work for the knee plate and battery belt on the thigh and also on the clam shell. Paint white after installation. Some people say there is a flowery kind of rivet used on the clam shell also. You can use 3/16" chicago screws for the holster through the belt. They look the best and still allow you to remove the holster for some events.

What are you riveting first? Where on the helmet would you be riveting? I don't recall rivets anywhere on a helmet.

Rivets are used under the ears to join the face with the cap and back. Two are usually used per side. One between the ear bolts and one at the base of the ears. They are not visible as the ears cover them.

I use 1/8" diameter x 1/8" long aluminum rivets with backing washers.

From looking at the pictures of the screen used lids on Starwarshelmets.com, the rivets that were used on the screen used lids were a bit larger than you would normally get at the hardware store.

I took the pix of the TD's from Starwarshelmets.com and printed them out and took a micrometer to measure the size of the rivet. Then, using that mesurement, I pin pointed something else in the same picture that was approximately the same size (which was the height of one of the teeth).

I then took measurement of the same tooth from my TE2 lid (which was cast off of an original ANH helmet) and determined from that measurement that the measurement of the rivet's diameter is approximately 3/8".

Without having the actual screen used helmet with the rivet to measure from, in your hands, this is probably the most accurate way that you can do it.

pz7aqJ0.jpg

LH5Z4z1.jpg

0h8mYZ6.jpg

Pop Rivets available in the U.K. back then would have been 1/8, 3/16 or 5/32 however , this measurement refers to the shank that goes through the hole, the head size would depend upon manufacturer. I guess a 1/8 or 3/16 rivet could have a head size of 3/8 . ????

It depends upon weather you want the inside or outside of the helmet to be screen accurate I suppose. :lol: Im guessing they were 1/8 pop rivets , as thats the most common size, with a 3/8 head . ??? but maybe 3/16.

Simons anh helmet has lost its rivets , it only had one per side by the looks of the holes, and the indent into the plastic indicates there was a strengthening washer on the inside of the rivet .

Edited by Rob .T .

Pop Rivets available in the U.K. back then would have been 1/8, 3/16 or 5/32 however , this measurement refers to the shank that goes through the hole, the head size would depend upon manufacturer. I guess a 1/8 or 3/16 rivet could have a head size of 3/8 . ????

It depends upon weather you want the inside or outside of the helmet to be screen accurate I suppose. :lol: Im guessing they were 1/8 pop rivets , as thats the most common size, with a 3/8 head . ??? but maybe 3/16.

From the measurement that I took from the picture and calculating the diameter of the rivet head to be approximately 3/8" and then looking at the hole in the middle of the rivet and measuring it, it is approximately 1/3 the size of the rivet heads diameter, thus making the hole size 1/8" ;)

for the helmet I used a screw and nut so that I could take it back apart if I ever wanted to. While they pop riveted it for the movies I don't see why I would ever do that. I use screw caps that cover the inside to make it clean. It also lets me take the helmet apart if I ever had to and not take a drill to it. I've seen holes get torn through things when doing that.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Sweet alternative!!

On 1/17/2011 at 9:21 PM, Tray said:

for the helmet I used a screw and nut so that I could take it back apart if I ever wanted to. While they pop riveted it for the movies I don't see why I would ever do that. I use screw caps that cover the inside to make it clean. It also lets me take the helmet apart if I ever had to and not take a drill to it. I've seen holes get torn through things when doing that.

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed