TM cheek bump

puro

Assembling the TM helmet kit as we speak, just wondering about this detail:

---------

It's not that imminent in the picture but shows clearly when seen in the daylight. Do people sand it down before adding decals or is there a purpose to leave it as is?

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

This bump is seen on original helmets and is a deliberate feature of the TM helmet.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

When TE and Gino casted the first screen used ANH helmet, they removed that detail from their moulds as a way of distinguishing between real helmets and replicas. And thus, all helmets derived from those moulds lack that detail and many SW fans have become used to seeing the lack of detail in that area. The bump, as mentioned above in the TM helmet is supposed to be there, and you'd be a fool to remove it! ;)

Thanks for this info! Didn't know that. I'll leave it be then.

My bucket isn't gonna be the most screen-accurate anyhow, since the inside is black and I prefer the non-hand-painted decals. It's always kind of a balance of what looks good (to the general audience) and what is accurate (ie. hastily done in the 70's). And I don't mean to flame anyone with this opinion, honestly.

JoeR: There's plenty of good build threads out there, I am too lazy to document! :D

It's always kind of a balance of what looks good (to the general audience) and what is accurate (ie. hastily done in the 70's).

I'm a big fan of both approaches.

For me there's nothing more fun than trying to replicate a screen used costume but I think it's prefectly legitimate to want to have an idealised, cleaner looking costume with maybe some more robust/comfortable base materials.

That's why I still like wearing my 2mm glossy TM armour with TK Boots, decals on the helmet etc. I kind of think of it as what the props department might have done with more time and money.

Even on my more accurate 1mm costume, I've made some compromises for trooping purposes, e.g. I've replaced the thin more accurate lens material with dark welder's shield, simply because I don't want people to see my eyes inside my helmet when trooping.

At the end of the day, you have to find your preferred approach and your own balance.

I'm going to "re.create" that detail on my ata helmet.

Just cut it out of thin styrene (0.25 mm), glue it into place and sand the edges a little... et voila!

Nice! :D

Assembling the TM helmet kit as we speak, just wondering about this detail:

It's not that imminent in the picture but shows clearly when seen in the daylight. Do people sand it down before adding decals or is there a purpose to leave it as is?

If you want to keep your lid accurate, then don't do a thing to the bump/wart.

My 2 cents! :smiley-sw013:

Have fun with your build, post more pix when you can!

Arnold

TM has done a huge amount of research into his armour, that combined with the fact that ALL the other replica suits are based on a ROTJ set of armour make his suit more accurate than any other out there for ANH or ESB.

I sure he did.. but from pics I've seen of these cheek bumps.. his still look wrong.

On the screen helmets, they are more like a oval line than a bump.

Yes, most makers have the ROTJ origins, but the helmet have ANH origins.. so I feel that that has more credibility.

Though if I had the cash I'd get a set of TM.

but I feel the TM pulls are too sharp. :huh:

Arnold

TM has done a huge amount of research into his armour, that combined with the fact that ALL the other replica suits are based on a ROTJ set of armour make his suit more accurate than any other out there for ANH or ESB.

This is from the recently discovered helmet in the UK

------------

The oval shape is what you would get if you carved an oval into your face plate mould. It's just a recessed line . Not a raised blob

Edited by gmrhodes13

Just to clarify a couple of things.

The detail in the tear is supposed to be there.

The detail was not removed by TE as it was still present on the mold when I received it.

It was filled in for replicas that were sold for reasons mentioned above.

But it is still present on my mold.

Here is a pic of what it should look like.

------------

More can be found here:------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Thats what I see, not the bump/blob thats on TM cheeks.

recessed line = accurate

bump = not so much ;)

On 1/14/2011 at 11:11 PM, john danter said:

This is from the recently discovered helmet in the UK

-------------

The oval shape is what you would get if you carved an oval into your face plate mould. It's just a recessed line . Not a raised blob

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 1/14/2011 at 6:18 PM, Locitus said:

When TE and Gino casted the first screen used ANH helmet, they removed that detail from their moulds as a way of distinguishing between real helmets and replicas. And thus, all helmets derived from those moulds lack that detail and many SW fans have become used to seeing the lack of detail in that area. The bump, as mentioned above in the TM helmet is supposed to be there, and you'd be a fool to remove it! ;)

For some additional info to the thread TE did reintroduce a bump back into his Molds.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

I think he just put it back but didn't care it it was dead on accurate.

it he really took the time he could get it close.

On 1/15/2011 at 5:53 AM, riveting said:

For some additional info to the thread TE did reintroduce a bump back into his Molds.

---------

slightly diff than the on screen size & location, maybe due to the pull?

---------

glad your keeping the feature :)in

Edited by gmrhodes13