Dremmel cutting bit recommendations please

I am currently awaiting my armor kit to arrive so in the meantime, I want to make sure I have all the necessary supplies ready so I don't get held back.

I would like to know exactly what model Dremmel cutting bit would be most effective/appropriate for trimming the small areas in the teeth of the helmet as well as the eyes. This bit would be used on ABS plastic.

Also - could someone answer for me if the score/snap trimming method works on ABS?

Score & snap works well on ABS, especially for long, straight cuts. Obviously the thicker the ABS, the more you should "score" before you attempt to "snap".

for the eyes and teeth i used this to remove the plastic from the inside

http://blueroofdesigns.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/attach-sander-2.jpg

for cutting nothing beats this

-------

the diamond cutting wheel IMO is the absolute best plastic cutter for the dremel ;) i use it on HIPS, PVC , ABS you name it.. smooth cuts and less mess than the fiber cutting disk. i should have a video showing it in action up in a few days..

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 1/12/2011 at 9:55 AM, dashrazor said:

for the eyes and teeth i used this to remove the plastic from the inside

http://blueroofdesigns.files.wordpress.com/2009/07/attach-sander-2.jpg

for cutting nothing beats this

-----------

the diamond cutting wheel IMO is the absolute best plastic cutter for the dremel ;) i use it on HIPS, PVC , ABS you name it.. smooth cuts and less mess than the fiber cutting disk. i should have a video showing it in action up in a few days..

The same I use....for the same reasons

TMC

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I use the fiber reinforced wheel or diamond wheel for cutting out the eyes from the inside (draw a pencil line for where you want to cut based on screen images). Then use sandpaper to smooth the eye openings.

For the teeth, I use the drum on the back side of the teeth to take the thickness down. Then I use this Dremel bit to grind out the teeth gaps.

-----------

I use this bit on high speed to cut the slots, then use low speed to round the corners. Kind of making a capsule shape like a long medicine tablet shape.

Works great. I can cut the eyes and teeth start to finish in 15 mins.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

On 1/12/2011 at 4:39 PM, firebladejedi said:

My advice would be to leave the dremel well alone!!

Ditto! One slip with those things and you'll be crying. Very useful yeah but hard to master straight off the bat.

Hand held tools like files and scissors are far more easier to control

The Dremel can have a life of its own as it spins one way and you get a massive difference in the 'grip' or tension in the plastic you cut based on the way you try to move the dremel discs. Same for the sanding wheels

After a while you get used to it and it's ok to master, but I'd rather use heavy duty scissors, drills and files to get the detail I need.

Your hands are the only thing that can make a mistake :)

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed