FX helmet gone bad

as i said in a pervious post that there seems to be some what of a gap between the face mask and the bak of the "flower pot"

2nU4tR4.jpg

l9NYDc9.jpg

as u can see it not the smallest gap. So here's a solution if i bring the face plate bak and over lap the rear

Image unrecoverable...

and then rivet an glue the ovlerlaped peices would this work? and could u notice that it had been done. (i.e does it make the bucket look abnormal)

Edited by Sly11
Edited to restore the image by Sly11, 2020

The two end won't completely butt up against each other. Take a look at the pre drilled screw holes in the ear caps and the bucket sides and you will see there is still space.

What about a picture with the ear cap taped in place. That way we can chime in with concern about the gap if the ear cap does or does not cover. The brow trim might help cover up space if it exists as well.

That's strange. The front and rear plates of my FX helmet absolutely butted up together on both sides. I actually put the front and back together with tape and then squeezed the top part in and everything stayed edge-to-edge.

There should be a dimple on the front and back pieces where the screws will go. Are they there? It looks like they might've been trimmed off.

Before I did anything else, I'd contact your armor supplier and tell them the issue you're having. The instructions mention the dimples as being where you attach the ears. If you tell your supplier that they supplied you with pieces that cannot be assembled as instructed, they may do an exchange for you. It's worth a shot.

I'd be frustrated if I had to start with wrong pieces. For the money you spent, you shouldn't have to "make it work," you know?

I agree with TK4205 about shimming over bringing the bottom in. But, I just built an FX helmet that had correctly trimmed face and back plate pieces, and I had a HECK of a time getting the "ears" right. Sanding, trimming, heating and bending. I can't fathom the headache you might have hiding the shims with the ears.

I'd be worried that this first minor issue may start a chain reaction of modifications.

T

Here's a link to an image on gotarmor.net. It shows what the roughly taped-together helmet should look like, and it also shows the dimples.

-----

Thought it might be helpful to see the dimples I was talking about.

If you can't ever get replacement pieces, I think you could totally make it work. Your second sent of pictures dont look that bad. If there's only a gap OVER the ears, you could disguise that easily. I thought there would've been a bigger gap on the sides, but apparently, the ears cover it nicely.

Good luck!

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Like Thomas stated, I would try getting a replacement before I did all that work. If the supplier doesn't answer you and just leaves you hanging, that's something we should all be aware of.

just had a look at the rest of the armour apart from the o2 canister which is a bit hit n miss (ment to be grey or white?needs painting?) the rest of the armour doesn't look too bad apart from a bit of trimming that i will need to do on the top of the shins to match them up. Hope to be going off to b&q on friday so hopefully i'll have somthing done by the weekend. Dremmel tool good investment i take it.

feel a bit gutted about the helm. but we'll have to wait n see if seller gets bak to me.

It it's an FX helmet, the faceplate and the rearplate should BOTH be on the outside of the dome, just like you originally tried it. The faceplate goes inside the dome on the more movie-accurate helmets.

Dark Side Sith Lord is correct, but specifically for his helmet. His comments also mean that he has a nicer helmet than we do. :lol:

T

had a quick retape doesn't make much differnce there's a massive over hang.

Yep, this is a trim job gone wrong. The small contoured caps for the earpieces are meant to cover the two screws that go into the ear cap, one for the front and one for the back of the bucket. The front and back "should" be very close (within about 1/4"). I agree that you could make this work, but do not assume this is how it normally should be. Thomas' gotarmor pick is a great example of how the FX should look, dimples and all, prior to the dome going on.

You "MIGHT" be able to make it work, using the outside for the rear and the inside for the front. I realist the FX is made to go outside/outside, but this might help with the gap, and possibly give you an option to swap out the brow trim for something more accurate as well. Since the gap already exists, a quick tape job would at least let you see if it would work.

:trooper:

Well I'm used to giving wrong or useless tips whenever I try.

Anyway, did the ear pieces cover this gap when put on there? If its a matter of worrying about it colapsing because of the gap, maybe you could just glue down a sheet of plastic behind the gap from the inside of the helmet?

If that doesnt work, stalk the seller of it, saying over and over - Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? Can I have a new one? - Until he gives you a new one.

The costumer is allways right :peace:

i got a reply to saying

"Hello Mark,

I found your email at last with all the pictures. I had over 300 unread in my inbox. What I see in the pictures sent to me is really bizzare! I have assembled 3 of the helmets myself from this batch of material and evn though they are a tight fit they are not like yours. The ones that I have assembled are a tight fit. The are trimmed just right, they dont give any margin for error.

I will assemble 2 more helmets tomorrow. I will see if the same problem occurs. All of the plastic parts should be identicle. There should be no gap like what you have showed me. "

then he waffles on a bit

"Yours is a case that need further investigation. If it cant be resolved then i will refund you your cash or I can send out a new helmet to you it is upto you"

so i've ask for him to send me a new one.

we'll see what happens i'll keep u informed.

On a better note i started get get some tools together today so i start to trim some peices up (not gonna mod anything thing yet), think i picked up a barging from woolies of all places. Just £20 down from £40

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l249/Jes...019/toolset.jpg

I think the supplier sounds pretty reasonable. And from the response I just read I'm sure he will send out a new replacement helmet. ..BUT..I think from a manufactures point of view it would be prudent to investigate the batch first, other wise you would be leaving yourself open to replaceing helmets for every single person that ever messed up their assembly... Lets face it, if someone messes up their bucket because they went too far doing a trim job, we can expect the supplier to pay for it. I'm sure there have been many times over the years were people have tryed this. B)

You certainly have a point there. If the supplier and the manufacturer are different people I can see how this mistake could be made, but I can't see the manufaturer sending that lid the way it looks in the picture.

• 3 weeks later...

Uh... Jester, the faceplate should go UNDER, not OVER the forehead. At least that's how it is in ANH helmets derived from the originals. If you install the faceplate properly, the gap should be close to nonexistent.

Uh... Jester, the faceplate should go UNDER, not OVER the forehead. At least that's how it is in ANH helmets derived from the originals. If you install the faceplate properly, the gap should be close to nonexistent.

It's correct. FX goes OVER the dome, not under. It's another fun inaccuracy of the FX bucket.