WooHoo Helmets arrived

I have 3 comments. (questions actually)

1 is a question, why not have the screen in the frown painted black?

2nd is another question, is the brow piece suppose to be angled at the ear?

3rd, isnt the rectangle piece "on" the ear suppose to be gray along with 1 or 2 striped painted in black on it?

Oh, and show us the inside :)

i intend to finish the helmet painting today, i need to paint the ears i know, i will also paint the mesh black, didnt notice that it needed to be black.

as or the trim, this pic shows it at a slant in the movie

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

guy on the left, isnt angled, its blunt. I compare it to yours, then his, and there is an obvious difference. just fyi :) and look, bubbled lenses! lol. I will never understand the debate over those, **shrug**

very nice.

but that is Hero style or stunt style?

I believe it to be a "hero style" bucket because of the brow placement :unsure: but the number of teeth on the frown is that of a "stunt" but I could be wrong, I'm not a helmet expert like other prop builders on this forum :)

guy on the left, isnt angled, its blunt. I compare it to yours, then his, and there is an obvious difference. just fyi :) and look, bubbled lenses! lol. I will never understand the debate over those, **shrug**

If my memory suits me right I believe that the hero helmets had the bubble lenses for the up close shots, and the stunt helmets had flat lenses :unsure:

Nice lid you have there, is this one of the fg that often pop up for sale or an abs version?

Typically the 'hero' version had a lower brow, 3 teeth per side, bubble lenses and 1 screw on the ears while the 'background' had a higher brow, 4 teeth per side flat lenses and 2 screws, although there were plenty of background lids with a lower brow like this. No 2 trooper helmets were really the same ;)

Nice lid you have there, is this one of the fg that often pop up for sale or an abs version?

Typically the 'hero' version had a lower brow, 3 teeth per side, bubble lenses and 1 screw on the ears while the 'background' had a higher brow, 4 teeth per side flat lenses and 2 screws, although there were plenty of background lids with a lower brow like this. No 2 trooper helmets were really the same ;)

Yup! :)

thanks for the comments guys, the helmet is made from ABS. Im going to paint the ears soon, had a bit of a sickness bug yesterday so im taking it easy today, also im thinking about painting the mesh black, any suggestions on weather i should do this.

I would certainly paint the mesh. Another option is you could get some screen door mesh, layer it a few times, and replace the stuff all together.

My concern on painting this (and heads up Joey!!!), is that it might not stick very well, and then scratch off. I was thinking about this last night, and the amount of effort required to paint it might not be worth it.

Any other thoughts guys??

:trooper:

I used the netting you get with onions in it. I folded it and painted it black with car spray. Cheap as chips.

I then Just hotglued it onto place.

------------

cheers

Edited by gmrhodes13

ok i have been painting for a few hours now, heres whats happened,

i removed the decals on the frown and painted them with the humbrol No5.Took my time and i think it came out allright. Also had to apint the ears as they were plain white as seen ealier in the thread.

BL2zfHy.jpg

i decided that the fly mesh i got was not good enough, so i found these old broken speakers from my car and i hope to use this as mesh instead

g4CfCQs.jpg

i have also found some smoked black safety specs so i will be trying them for replacement lenses as the ones in my helmet are marked badly.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

mrfurious said:
i intend to finish the helmet painting today, i need to paint the ears i know, i will also paint the mesh black, didnt notice that it needed to be black.

as or the trim, this pic shows it at a slant in the movie

------------

Looking good, and I agree the screws need to be white.

As for this picture, if you enlarge it, you will see the brow trim is straight horizontal, and the angle of the shot gives it that slanted look. This is Han and Luke, thus these are both Hero helmets.

The slant is due to the brow trim being something similar to window trim, and has a flat metal edge on the "bottom", and both side pinch towards the center. Since the plastic used for the helmets is much thinner than the window or metal material the trim was intended for, it bows inward, giving it a small curved look when viewing from an angle.

If you zoom in on the pic, you can see on Luke's helmet, (the one closer to the camera on the left), it stops just before the from gray trap, but does go straight up and down Han's looks angled due to the camera angle, but is also vertical.

Certainly not worth starting a war on, I have just come to notice things like this much more since I did when I started.

Great lookin' bucket!! Can't wait to see it when you are done.

:trooper:

Edited by gmrhodes13