Sterling Blaster(s) Mania

One of the very first things that got me back then - yes, 1977 - were the blasters. The trooper blaster. This weapon (in the fantasy world of SW) is still today my number one, most favourite movie prop of all times.

And I can't get enough. I have been waiting like many of you for countless years to have it, not even dreaming I could own one (let alone, three or more) back then. It was my child dream for many years to follow since 1977.

Here's two, more or less completed ones.

The "new" one is Ghost's (thank you Scott!), recognizable by the authentic ejection port. On Ghost's blaster I put some rubber grips. And I'll tell you what: I like rubber grips better than the supposedly accurate hard-plastic-ttrack. The latter is in fact "thinner", it it surely looks like it is. Instead, I like a fat blaster-front, just like I seem to see in the movies. Anyway.

I have three now, one not shown yet as I have to finish it.

I also like to keep them in their "natural", weathered status. As I think they were used back then on screen.

For your viewing pleasure. I'll be updating this one with more pics.

5268769087_131f2b88a7_b.jpg

IMG_1629 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

5269384442_b59cf5f1f4_b.jpg

IMG_1632 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

5269390744_91d1690a37_b.jpg

IMG_1634 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Edited by SoloDallas

i think those are most defiantly fake :D you should send them to me for proper authentication... :P JK

:P

I think I've managed with incredible luck to get them shipped here with no hassle... why dontcha come over here you? It'd be so much fun to troop with 'Mericans and Brits instead of... locals.

Ahem. Oh well. Thanks for looking mate! :)

just an awesome paint finish on those!

ah... the original parkerized metal bumps... sweetness!

rubber T Tracks? nah... it's been confirmed that they are indeed hard plastic drawer runners.

Edited by TK Bondservnt 2392

beautiful. the one thing i don't like about my sterling is that it's got no bolt and the receiver tube is solid steel. There's about 1" left at the end with a small piece of spring, but the rest of that channel is solid and the lever is welded on. it looks nice enough, but the poor thing was badly chopped up in the process of being deactivated.

Marky,

yes it is an M19. I love it. You said it, it's like mustard. You know what one of the first guys that started putting together deacs sterling told me, years ago? "You'll eat with it, brush your teeth with it, sleep with it". And he was right!

Stephen matey, yours ain't there yet! It's the one I mentioned I am working on. I plan on mounting another real M19 on it, with the Henglster box and all :D

Thanks for looking guys!

I looking at the possibility of making one if these I've got a couple of scopes m40 and m38 hengstler counters. But can't fathom if I add a rail to real sterling how is it attached. I'd like it to sit in the first hole and extend to rear sight. Also similar concern with connection of t-track.

How have you done this?

Marv, it's easier than it looks. What is tricky is the trimming of the t-tracks. And I'll talk about it in a minute. Now, the rail CAN be attached to the rear sight with a little screw, making a little hole on the end of the rail to go into the sight, and then inserting the screw inside the moving sight (you'll see you can rotate the moving component on the rear sight, inside the two protective wings). The holes of this moving part are of different dimensions, as it was supposed to be for further accuracy (one larger hole and one smaller). Choose the hole on the front, insert the screw so that its bottom sits flat on the receiver and then, place the rail on top of it. Add a bolt and you're done. The front of the rail is just bent inside the first hole of the top row of the sterling.

Now for the t-tracks, I thought that the rubber ones (as I said above) were looking better, but that was due to my poor skill in bending them. The bend-angle on them was too inclined on my attempt (as you can see on the blaster with the henglester). Now I'm trying to smooth that angle, and the t-tracks look a lot better, though I am not finished yet. I am using a Gino t-track, which supposedly is the most correct (hard plastic in lieu of rubber). The overall effect when done properly is really good. Furthermore, if they are trimmed right in length, they will stay in place without the use of any glue.

Edited by SoloDallas

Marv, it's easier than it looks. What is tricky is the trimming of the t-tracks. And I'll talk about it in a minute. Now, the rail CAN be attached to the rear sight with a little screw, making a little hole on the end of the rail to go into the sight, and then inserting the screw inside the moving sight (you'll see you can rotate the moving component on the rear sight, inside the two protective wings). The holes of this moving part are of different dimensions, as it was supposed to be for further accuracy (one larger hole and one smaller). Choose the hole on the front, insert the screw so that its bottom sits flat on the receiver and then, place the rail on top of it. Add a bolt and you're done. The front of the rail is just bent inside the first hole of the top row of the sterling.

Now for the t-tracks, I thought that the rubber ones (as I said above) were looking better, but that was due to my poor skill in bending them. The bend-angle on them was too inclined on my attempt (as you can see on the blaster with the henglester). Now I'm trying to smooth that angle, and the t-tracks look a lot better, though I am not finished yet. I am using a Gino t-track, which supposedly is the most correct (hard plastic in lieu of rubber). The overall effect when done properly is really good. Furthermore, if they are trimmed right in length, they will stay in place without the use of any glue.

Thank you for this, I had wondered if the t-track was able to sustain itself. I guess its like a coiled spring, I quite like the look of them slightly lifted from the barrel (as I have it is on my SDS blaster). I think you get to see more detail that way. Would you mind if possible posting a picture of what you describe about the attachemnt round the sight.

Do you know of any good sources to obtain an m19/m32 sight other than eBay? I have been looking but to no avail (although admittedly not for long). Curiously you may be able to answer a question to something that was nagging me, and that is about the feet on the m19/32 and m38/40 scopes. Are they set at the same length from one another? See if not I was thinking that the best way forward for my scope rail would be to have it so that scopes could be interchangeable, if I were able to come by one later.

Curiously you may be able to answer a question to something that was nagging me, and that is about the feet on the m19/32 and m38/40 scopes. Are they set at the same length from one another? See if not I was thinking that the best way forward for my scope rail would be to have it so that scopes could be interchangeable, if I were able to come by one later.

The feet are the same length apart on both. Recently I've seen them both mounted on the same rail from the Sherman. Got to love standardisation of parts to make life easy 68 years later.