Shepperton Armour

mrfurious

Does anyone here own any of the shepperton armour?

is it good quality

Superb quality, comes fully assembled and ready to wear, together with an undersuit. But.... it's not really encouraged. Lucasfilm is pursuing them in court, and, IMHO, the manufacturer told us too many lies to tolerate, regardless how good his product is.

Regardless what mr. Ainsworth says, it's a recast. the choice is up to you, but I'd suggest TM armor from Paul ("Troopermaster"). I haven't seen it in person but it's definitely the most screen-accurate kit money can buy.

I don't own a Shepperton, but I had one over for reference in making my own armor. you can see me wearing a Shepperton on my avatar (except for the helmet)

As the shep is a recast of TE's ROTJ suit, I would also advise another maker.

Yeah... It's been proven several times over that it doesn't match the armors we see on screen in a number of areas. We were supposed to pay Ainsworth for original moulds, for accuracy. He gave us a DIFFERENT story of the armor moulds in each revision of the SDS booklet, and now we know we get neither original moulds or accuracy.

OF COURSE it's a beautiful armor that CLOSELY RESEMBLES what we see on screen, and comparing it to FX would be blasphemous, but it's not the original and paying such insane amounts of money for something that offers you essentially the same thing as a TE suit (most excellent, by the way) for the price of several of them just doesn't compute, now does it?

Yeah Andrew is a really nice guy and his suits are really good and as far as Im aware it's the only screen accurate suit you can buy ready assembled.

I do own a suit but don't troop with it as I like it too much and won't trim it to fit. His stuff, as much as it pains me to say, is probably a recast that someone has done of his original pulls

Ironic but probably true.

I'd go for RT or yes TM armour here in the UK

I have the AA/SDS armour and helmet and I think they're great.

The weight is nice, the trimming has been done right, and overall they best evoke the look from the movie.

The color matching is appreciated. The plastic is milky white - not blue.

Is SDS expensive? I remember seeing a suit for sale about a dozen years ago that costs $6,000 (no joke - at that price I assumed that the blaster must really work). So, I was well over "sticker shock" when I saw the SDS prices. Besides, the SDS stuff is already assembled (not that it doesn't require a lot of personal outfitting). I have three small children and the opportunity to assemble a suit is nonexistent. The kit would still be sitting in a box.

One of the indulgent joys to owning an AA/SDS is the cache it offers. When I show friends the armour, it's wonderful to just be able to succintly say that it's made by the guy who made the originals. There's no long-winded treatise about other sculpts, or degrees of screen-accuracy. We can reverently sit and take it its coolness - until the kids start crying (see above re: the three small children).

It's a cleaned up ROTJ suit. It's not screen accurate.

Is this thing on? :lol:

I have seen an AA suit and I can say that for sure it is a recast of a suit I offered in ROTJ form YEARS ago. The suit is soft in details and is a total turd compared to a bunch out there. Save your money. He is using his name to charge totally outrageous prices. He first siad it was a suit off of the ANH molds, then admitted he threw out the original molds and is now using copies from skins he formed. But the kicker is, it aint an ANH copy. There are many MANY tells that give it away.

Again, glad you like it, I would pass though...

TE

I almost bought the AA armor and I'm glad I didn't.

#1. price

#2. I was able to get an AP untrimmed kit which can be put together the right way to look accurate enough, but will never be completely. Which is cool with me.

#3. I was able to get a real leather holster. (thanks Mike TK-4510!)

#4. I was able to get a nice canvas belt. (thanks firebladejedi!)

#5. I was able to get a Skullworx kit for my bucket (AP helmet will be stunt)

#6. I was able to get a set of Hovi-Mix Tips W/speakers (thanks Stomper!)

#7. I was able to get a great underarmor W/neckseal. (thanks TK-4205!)

#8. Dave's Videos ( thanks Dave for making it fun and inspiring to assemble our armor!)

#9. The treasure I'm waiting to arrive is a TE ABS Hero, which I'm sure it will be awesome.(thanks TE!)

#10. All of this was able to be aquired for the same amount of an AA kit!

Thanks to everyone on these forums!

Curtis :D

I would love to see one day a comparison shot with some armor next to each other, with an overlay pointing out the differnces between them.

This would be educational for all of us.

Ultimately we all strive for quality and the right prices.

Ive seen some nice comparisons on other forums with helmets.

It was a visual treat!

I love that post from curtis. This is because it is so informative and not just an opinion.

Nice one.

Thats my penny's worth anyway.

cheers all

B)

I would love to see one day a comparison shot with some armor next to each other, with an overlay pointing out the differnces between them.

This would be educational for all of us.

Ultimately we all strive for quality and the right prices.

Ive seen some nice comparisons on other forums with helmets.

It was a visual treat!

I love that post from curtis. This is because it is so informative and not just an opinion.

Nice one.

Thats my penny's worth anyway.

cheers all

B)

Thats a good idea Chef.

There's a boat load of pics on the MEPD somewhere comparing AA/SDS to TM piece by piece. I'll have a look for the link.

I would like to see that thread, I looked but I couldn't find it.

Thanks Paul,