Stormtrooper Suit & Helmet Surfaces

I've been looking more at this photo and I noticed this rivet showing which seems to match the one SiMan owns. The brackets have been repaired and the rivets are not usually in this position, so this could quite possibly be the same suit. It certainly looks like a rivet with a washer behind it if you look closely.

SiMansuit.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking more at this photo and I noticed this rivet showing which seems to match the one SiMan owns. The brackets have been repaired and the rivets are not usually in this position, so this could quite possibly be the same suit. It certainly looks like a rivet with a washer behind it if you look closely.

SiMansuit.jpg

Ā 

Ā 

Nicely spotted!! :duim:

Steve,

Ā 

This particualr suit has been repaired using new strapping brackets which have been attached using pop rivets and repair washers. You can still see some of the original brackets and screws in place, but most have been replaced and the old holes are visable.

Ā 

The top of the abdomen does have a very thin return edge. It's not enough for a bracket in the middle so it has been placed lower than usual. This is not uncommon on the real suits and screws can be seen 'on' the armour rather than hidden on the return edges.

Ā 

It looks to me as though the armour in the promo shot has already been repaired and I can see the washer and rivet. Usually there would be just the screw head showing originally and no reason to have a washer on the outside.

Ā 

It's a shame we cannot see the shoulder straps in this photo. This would confirm if it was the suit SiMan owns. As you know, Sandtroopers did not have shoulder straps and SiMans suit does have modified straps attached. There is no doubt that they were added in the same period as ANH as the attachments fitted to them are the same as others used on the suit.

I thought the cod piece and the ab plate made them match up

But youve seen it in the flesh so I'm sure you're right

Ā 

I've often wondered what these guys making accurate bracketed armour are going to feel like in a year or two

Doesnt look very strong to me :)

I've often wondered what these guys making accurate bracketed armour are going to feel like in a year or two

Ā 

Ā 

I've given this a bit of thought (being one of "these guys").

Ā 

I think the material is more resistant to tearing than the original material but that of course does not mean it will never break.

Ā 

If the connections break and my brackets are ripped out, I think my first step will be to carry out some typical running repairs with rivets and washers (as seen on the suit above).

Let nature run its course and make sure the repairs reflect those on screen-used suits.

Ā 

If that failed I personally would retire my suit to a manequin for display. But I'm fortunate enough to own two suits of armour. I realise not everyone has this luxury.

Ā 

The other alternative is to add some non-authentic (but more sturdy) strapping with snap plates.

There's nothing preventing anybody going this route straight away whilst still using the 1mm plastic. Place the connections in the same places and the suit will "behave" similarly on the outside as a suit with authentic strapping.

Ā 

Whether or no the screw holes on the return edges will tear with time I don't know, but I'm 100% convinced of the durability of the material itself. It's thinner but it's much less brittle than eveyrthing else I've had in my hands.

I'd go as far as to say I think it's more durable than the 2mm stuff. I had a very hard time trying to tear it.

But youve seen it in the flesh so I'm sure you're right

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Hi John ,

I would say with my 1mm TM ANH accurate Replica armour , dependes on how heavy you troop in it ,if you are trooping day in day out i would say at some point you might get a split here and there where the brackets are screwed ,like i say it really depends how you treat it , ie if you are aresting people , people hitting your armour all the normal stuff that happens on a troop in TK ,to how strong it will be , but hay that makes it in my book more screen accurate but just make sure if you do any repeir work do it to how it was done back in the day , but i also like deslpaying mine on my manaquin , so that why i will only troop in mine on special events.

Ā 

Match up to what?

Ā 

Ā 

Hopefully they will still look like screen used armour. That's the whole idea of using the original strapping system. No matter how good or bad it is, we want our armour to be just like the originals back in 1977, not something shiny and perfect to make the public happy :D

Matches up to the cod piece of the armour found. It had a lump sticking out on the cod nad sack area if I remember correctly...?

Also the ab plate was a weird one, neither here nor there but something in between.

I think the consenus was it used to be a TD, brought back and painted over or cleaned up etc for those promo shots.....maybe?

Ā 

And yes, TMs 1mm stuff is really flexible.

I'm all for anal extremes too, just check my video collection, and my snowie is no exception.

I'm just saying, I'd love an authentic brass tacs TK too, I doubt I'd troop in it thats all.

Those brackets are great, but LFL didn't plan on visiting hospitals, garden fates, video games releases etc etc in their suits.

Ā 

If they hold up great. I hope so cos it's nice to see :)

Ā 

But like you say, if they break, fix it the way they fixed it. All adds to its authenticity.

Ā 

Plus, if the can jump down compactor chutes, fall off balaconies and land on the floor after being blasted, maybe they're stronger than they look :)

I think the last photo shows off the difference between the painted helmet and hand plates compared to the off white of the armour brilliantly.

This is also the first picture where I see the knuckle indentations (right hand on right TK) in the hand plate clear as a day, compared to the other photos we've had up in various threads.

Edited by Locitus