Questions about AM(FX) / bucket

I emailed tupperware to ask about the black(TX) sets that were pulled recently, and it mentioned in his reply that lite kite were available, as well as full kits, but the full kit says:

"Will include ABS cement, ABS polish, Instructions, and an Original FX helmet with the newly re-shaped dome top for now. (A new helmet is being made, but is still in the earliest of production stages – hopefully to be available in the future)."

The difference is a little less than a buck fifty, but you also don't get cement, polish, and velcro. So the question is, should I just stick with a lite kit, and pick up the extras on my own. Also I know the FX is no longer accepted, but does anyone have info about the newly re-designed one, or an I better off putting money towards a more acceptable one.

Also, I know the AM is meant for bigger troopers, but can be modified to fit smaller guys, my frame is 5'10" 190lbs, I wear Med t-shirts, and a size 34 jeans... I think that is considered pretty average. My other thoughts were going with an ATA, I haven't done a lot of research on them, but maybe if you think it would be a better suit for me just let me know. Unless of course you have a better idea for me, I don't think I can afford TE2, but if you know something comparable in price to the AM, send me a PM.

Thanks a lot guys!

I have to be honest I've yet to see a picture nor held one in my hands. Ward...you've been holding out on me - doh!

I'd like to see it before offering comment.

The difference is a little less than a buck fifty, but you also don't get cement, polish, and velcro. So the question is, should I just stick with a lite kit, and pick up the extras on my own.

Yes... stick with the lite kit and get all the other stuff on your own. You don't want to use ABS cement (use E-6000), you'll throw that Velcro away anyway, and you don't want the bucket. The only thing you might use is the polish.

The current AM helmet is as you described. It's the FX helmet with a new dome. The original FX dome had a very "flat top" and a sharper transition from the sides to the top. The newer one is "rounder". Personally, I wouldn't get that helmet as the face plate is still quite big and there's so many other helmet choices. Armor wise, I love my AM kit.

I would say if you want more accuracy in terms of shape, go ATA. It a styrene kit and needs to either be painted or polished since it's a matte finish HIPS styrene plastic.

If you want an affordable and shiny idealized TK made of ABS, go AM with a different helmet (people have been using AP, ATA, TE2, MRCE or other helmets to go with them).

This is somewhat on topic of this post so I don't believe I'm ninjaing the OP's topic..

I'm in the same boat as to looking for a bucket. I'm probably going the lite kit route for the AM set and I really don't know which one I'd want. I'd prefer one assembled if thats possible. Any recommendations, since I know many require you to put them together.

On 9/5/2010 at 7:53 AM, Tyran said:

I'm in the same boat as to looking for a bucket...

Probably more than you want to spend... bu-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

This is somewhat on topic of this post so I don't believe I'm ninjaing the OP's topic..

I'm in the same boat as to looking for a bucket. I'm probably going the lite kit route for the AM set and I really don't know which one I'd want. I'd prefer one assembled if thats possible. Any recommendations, since I know many require you to put them together.

I know in my talks with RT and TM they have both mentioned offering assembled helmets. However, part of the fun is assembling the helmet yourself. Like the armor itself you can adjust the fit and look of the helmet in the construction to exactly how you want it.

Even if you feel you don't have the skills to do it, consider it a learning experience. There is a wealth of info and helpful people here on FISD to help you in the build.

The FX (now AM) bucket is stil 501st-acceptable, but it's definitely on the decline. Furthermore, if you plan to build your kit with EIB in mind, you'll need to get an entirely new bucket.

As far as preassembled buckets go, both RT and TM offer preassembled buckets - I happen to own both models and bought them preassembled. In fact, I don't believe RT Mod offers them any other way. As for TM, occasionally he'll post a For Sale thread for fully assembled buckets - but it's a matter of keeping an eye out and jumping on it when the opportunity comes up.

Does Rob sell just his RT-mod bucket by itself or does it come only with the armor kit? I would love to get his assembled helmet with the kit but its $980 with shipping. The AM lite kit is about $400 with shipping. Being out of work sucks. :angry:

Alright well I'm going to a little armor building party saturday and I'll still build the helmet so I have something to wear. I will look for another helmet later.

And that works too. It usually takes a few troops to dial in the suit anyway, so there's nothing wrong at all with this approach.

On 9/9/2010 at 12:45 PM, JimCem99 said:

Does Rob sell just his RT-mod bucket by itself or does it come only with the armor kit? I would love to get his assembled helmet with the kit but its $980 with shipping. The AM lite kit is about $400 with shipping. Being out of work sucks. :angry:

I was able to order just a helmet from Rob(RT-mod) earlier this month. As long as every thing goes according to plan, its scheduled to here before the end of the month :dance:

I seriously had my heart set on one of the "finished" AP buckets Mark had up for sale not too long ago (man those things were pretty), and was a breath away from dropping the cash for one. Ultimately, I couldn't bear to part with necessary funds after the exchange rates...

In hindsight it was a good move, cause along with an assembled RT-mod bucket I was also able to snag this little beauty---------before it was too late. And the left over cash will now go towards a new Black AM kit.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021