Mic tips with speakers - wich ones to get?

My TD build is almost complete. One of the few things missing is sound gizmos. Im currently thinking of a mix between ROM/FX and a set of HOVIs with speakers. Ive been trying to find out what my options regarding the HOVIs are but Im lost.

I want the HOVIs to be of as good quality as possible and ofc be as loud as possible. Does anyone have first hand experience with dif HOVIs? What sets them apart? How does Stompers HOVIs (does he still sell them) compare to those from 501st creations? Are there other HOVIs out there that anyone would recomend? What are the dif tech specs (cantt find that either)

Cheers in advance

Henrik

I have yet to purchase my sound system for my TK, but originally I wanted to get in-helmet speakers like you. From what I have seen and heard they just don't cut it unless you are in a small quiet place. I have been convinced to go with a chest speaker.

I have yet to purchase my sound system for my TK, but originally I wanted to get in-helmet speakers like you. From what I have seen and heard they just don't cut it unless you are in a small quiet place. I have been convinced to go with a chest speaker.

I hear ya (couldnt resist!). It seems theres a quite a few with that opinion/experience. However, there seems to be a few happy with HOVI speakers as well. In the end I might use HOVIs and a hidden speaker (or switch in between the two). For now, I just want to know what HOVIs I should aim for :D

I have Stomper's Hovis - which I don't believe he is selling right now so you can pretty much rule those out - in my old suit. They can be heard, but you have to be at conversation distance. If you have to talk over a crowd, forget it. Just not enough throughput.

For my new suit, I have a Aker 1506 voice amp that I mounted in my chestplate. Nice and loud - even with the volume set at less than maximum.

I have the 501st creation ones. The can sound a lot louder than one might think, but the feedback from having the microphone so close to the speakers limits the power you can feed then, thus decreasing the volume to somewhat that is similar to conversation levels. Very nice set of speakers otherwise.

I run a rom/fx with a set of hovi speakers from airship. They are magnificent quaility, but again, they are only loud enough for indoor use. An when i say indoor, i mean in your house.

I am accualy going to be running the hovi speakers AND a chest speaker. Airships speakers are very reasonably priced. An i highly reccommend them as well as a rom/fx.

Thats my 2cents

• 1 month later...

So where should I get chest speaker then? I went to radio shack and they thought I was nuts. Lol :P

I just ordered one of Jim's amps and got it in yesterday and it's easy to use, and plenty loud. http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=11907

He's got a bunch of options, including one with a wireless headset.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have to ask here cause I can't find the definition otherwise, but what are HOVIs?

Also are there any in-helmet systems that produce enough sound to be heard at more than conversational sound levels?

Hey Guys,

Which of these voice amps produce the 'static burst' before and after sound fx? Are you guys mounting them behind the chest plate mostly? Do you ever get any feedback having it so close to your helmet? Can you PM or send me a link on which one is best to buy?

I went to radio shack and was not sure if the ones they have in stock do the trick if you know what I mean....

Thanks a Million!

Markansas!

Before I bought an Aker Voice amp, I used the radio shack amp and there was a bit of feed back. However, the Aker combined with my hyperdyne fx board is awesome. There is no static burst before I talk but using a push to talk might add that, I haven't tried.

aker voice amp : http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26880&highlight=

Hyperdyne : http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_elec_troopVoicePro.php

I have the amp in my chest plate and I haven't had any feed back as of yet

Before I bought an Aker Voice amp, I used the radio shack amp and there was a bit of feed back. However, the Aker combined with my hyperdyne fx board is awesome. There is no static burst before I talk but using a push to talk might add that, I haven't tried.

aker voice amp : http://www.501stforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26880&highlight=

Hyperdyne : http://www.hyperdynelabs.com/products_elec_troopVoicePro.php

I have the amp in my chest plate and I haven't had any feed back as of yet

How does the Aker voice Amp preform by itself? Good Enough to pass as a Stormtrooper? They Hyperdyne and a couple others I looked at from the UK are just a bit out of my price range, not to mention sold out.

thanks!!!!

The Aker voice amp by it self is superb! I don't think anyone that has one will have anything bad to say about it :)

Can you tell me which Aker Voice Amp you own? On Amazon I have a few choices: 10 watt model mr1506 (white in color) and mr1508 (in black), 12watt model mr1505 (in black).

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

Markansas!!

Can you tell me which Aker Voice Amp you own? On Amazon I have a few choices: 10 watt model mr1506 (white in color) and mr1508 (in black), 12watt model mr1505 (in black).

Thanks so much for all the advice!!!

Markansas!!

Markansas,

Make sure to buy directly from me here. That is my amazon store that has them listed on amazon. "TK electronics" You will get a much better deal through here then through my amazon store.

If you want to hide in your armor then the MR1506 black 10watt is best. On your belt then the White MR1508. In a pouch then get the MR1505 12watt amp.

Email me for more info at familyjim72@yahoo.com

Markansas,

Make sure to buy directly from me here. That is my amazon store that has them listed on amazon. "TK electronics" You will get a much better deal through here then through my amazon store.

If you want to hide in your armor then the MR1506 black 10watt is best. On your belt then the White MR1508. In a pouch then get the MR1505 12watt amp.

Email me for more info at familyjim72@yahoo.com

Thanks Jim! I sent you an email just now!

Update:

I ended up using the 501st-creations hovi's with the ROMFX. Working good so far. Even used the suit outside. No problem what so ever. No feedback either.

I've also mounted the ROMFX-speaker behind my chest plate for bigger (more noisy) events. Not had the chance to try that out though.

• 2 months later...

I get feedback with ROM-FX when attaching the speaker behind my chest plate, haven't been able to install the whole system because of that... Any tips or suggestions how to prevent that? John advised me to use something isolating under the mic...

I put a ring of foam under my neckline to damp the sound on my snowtrooper

I also only ever use small circular mics not the hollow Box shaped ones like biker use

In the UK skin mics like the ones Madonna uses on stage have become popular

These need to be touching your lips so feedback is almost non existent

For TKs.....

Have you seen my mic tip tutorial or suggestion? Put speakers behind hollow hovis and cut a hole in your lid to let the sound out

Cover the internal speakers with aerosol caps or domes that I now make. You can get good 2" speakers being used this waySpeakerTutorial.gif

Edited by john danter

So where should I get chest speaker then? I went to radio shack and they thought I was nuts. Lol :P

I personally would avoid Mic Tip speakers they are not loud enough, if you go with a Rom FX you get a speaker a good one too with the sound board, i used to attach mine to my Belt and it worked super fine

I put a ring of foam under my neckline to damp the sound on my snowtrooper

I also only ever use small circular mics not the hollow Box shaped ones like biker use

In the UK skin mics like the ones Madonna uses on stage have become popular

These need to be touching your lips so feedback is almost non existent

For TKs.....

Have you seen my mic tip tutorial or suggestion? Put speakers behind hollow hovis and cut a hole in your lid to let the sound out

Cover the internal speakers with aerosol caps or domes that I now make. You can get good 2" speakers being used this waySpeakerTutorial.gif

Tried and tested method this from many years back