I'd like some input as to the Protocal

Hi All,

I'm looking to tweak some of my gear, so I've been doing a bunch or reading, investigating and looking at pics.

Basically I've found a great site that for almost no money sells the parts for an upgrade that is being sold on this site for considerably more than the cost of parts and shipping. And all that needs doing is some basic connections. So for 1/6th the cost, and a few connections I can make the item(s).

Here's my question:

Do I point out the supplier, the specific parts and how to put them together, thereby more than likely annoying the vendor(s) on this site, or do I do nothing and enjoy my DIY-ing in private?

I love saving people a bit of cash but I enjoy not pissing off people more.

Any input is more than welcome.

Thanks,

matt.

PS - Right now I'm leaning towards not posting anything as if I can find the info / suppliers in an hour or so then anyone should be able to.

Edited by ELP

I think that this hobby should be an open forum. no hidden "trooper" secrets.

everything should always be put out into the light of day.

help us all out.

post the information you have.

if it upsets someone... so be it.

As a vendor, albeit a very small scale one, I have no problem with someone making what I sell themselves. They can even use my pics as reference or ask me for advice, I plan on creating tutorials for stuff I make. To me this forum is all about sharing and advancing this hobby, not a business venture. That's when it stops being fun.

I like to think most vendors here feel that way.

and I don't think you can expect someone to simply charge the cost of materials and shipping. A persons time is worth something, after all.

Thanks guys ... I'll wait for a few more people to chime in.

Sorry for being cryptic - it was just so I can get around saying "I can make XXX for XXX less", should I tell people how.

Ajax: I was in no way suggesting that a persons time is not worth something; heck the trial and error time / costs alone could be a prohibative amount, never mind the unit construction time. That plus adding in a factor for returns / lost items can drastically increase the cost of any item. There will also be profit and it was this amount I was / am concerned about.

I just don't want to step on anyone's toes as I'm new here and am not sure, as my kid says, "how things roll".

Edited by ELP

ive sold a few blasters and i have to say there is not a whole lot of profit to be made (at least the way i build) after various purchasing dremel bits, sanding belts, disks,paint,primer,electronics,scopes,metal,and other bits (not to mention a giant electric bill) even using a lot of recycled materials, on average i figured i am building for between 2-3$ an hour. not to mention i offer a lifetime of service and support on everything i make. if i had a way to make them faster/cheaper and mass produce, i could probably make a good profit, but i enjoy scratch building so it would take away the fun :D i guess it depends on the maker and there methods/product on what they charge. i know ive seen some things on fleabay that are way overpriced and poor quality. and i am always looking for cheaper trooper supplies so if you know something, let it out :D im broke lol

No worries, Matt. That's how we roll. :P

Now spill! I'm hoping its a low cost fan and/or sound system source. Those are some of the last pieces I need for my build and my budget is running pretty tight.

Disclaimer: I Have Not Received or Built This Unit Yet and Have No Idea of The Actual Effectiveness of the parts (though they are CSA approved - you can see the stickers).

I'll go into more detail once I receive and put together these little buggers but if you can's wait here's the info.:

I've found a place that I've got the part to make a cheap small 9v fan.

A very small fan, a 9V battery holder with switches and wires and I've got 2 of each parts shipped to me for ~$12 CDN.

It's out of Addison Electronics in Montreal.

$0.99 9v battery holder with wires: here

$2.99 very small* fan with wires: here

* - for our non-metric friends the fan is 1 3/4 inches long and wide and less than half an inch thick

basically you get these parts, connect them and ala-ka-presto: 9v bucket fan.

I specifically looked for a Canadian supplier so I (as a Canadian) wouldn't get charged for duty, exchange or international shipping. So I apologize to the non-Canuck troopers as you can probably find a similar supplier in your own country.

Again once I receive my order I'll put a few pics together and give an overall review.

Edited by ELP

good price, but if i were you i would use 2x 5v fans wired in parallel run of some AA batteries, the fan draws 70ma at 12v to achieve full power. The 12v motor will draw more current than the 9v battery can supply and the undervoltage will cause the motor to run hotter than normal thus shorting its usefull life

a typical brand new 9v battery has 500 mah so it should run a few hours tops 10 (in theory) if you use really good industrial batteries

also bear in mind that under heavy loads 9V batteries usually drop there voltage to about 7.5 volts and

After a while, the battery will heat up and eventually may explode. i recommend against doing this! unless you use a 12v rechargeable battery to bring the voltage up to the proper 12v DC

just my opinion :D

Edited by dashrazor

dash,

Thanks for the input. I spoke with the guys who run the place and after explaining what I was going to do and why I wanted to do it this is what they suggested.-----------

I'll e-mail them again and bring up your specific points and see what their reply is, and post a follow up.

Thank goodness I put up the disclaimer.

matt.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

On 6/10/2010 at 6:30 AM, ELP said:

dash,

Thanks for the input. I spoke with the guys who run the place and after explaining what I was going to do and why I wanted to do it this is what they suggested.----------

I'll e-mail them again and bring up your specific points and see what their reply is, and post a follow up.

Thank goodness I put up the disclaimer.

matt.

hey, they may tell you it will work fine. but there is no way i would put that in my helmet. nor would i ever use a 9v battery for any high current application. i would consider using a 9v for a sound circuit, but never a motor or fan. 9v batteries are quite pricey and wear out quickly witch is why most childrens toys (like cars and such) or cameras run on AA or AAA batteries... there just more efficient.

also remember "you get what you pay for" :D

Edited by gmrhodes13

On 6/10/2010 at 7:07 AM, dashrazor said:

hey, they may tell you it will work fine. but there is no way i would put that in my helmet. nor would i ever use a 9v battery for any high current application. i would consider using a 9v for a sound circuit, but never a motor or fan. 9v batteries are quite pricey and wear out quickly witch is why most childrens toys (like cars and such) or cameras run on AA or AAA batteries... there just more efficient.

also remember "you get what you pay for" ---------

Big D (dash),

So they responded ... Not by e-mail but by a phone call (Great customer service) at 5:47 am this morning (not so great service).

I guess they forgot about the 3 hour time change between Montreal and BC.

And let me say I am NOT a morning person, nor was I prepared to have a technical conversation with a person who had rather good English (my French is terrible) but a strong accent.

The gentleman assured me this rig was totally fine, in fact they sell about a hundred of these two items together every year. And yes my battery life expectancy would be about 2-3 hours, and if I was worried about over heating I should use dollar store batteries (as the cheap-o ones are far less volatile than the new high output ones). Uhm ... what else ...

He basically assured me that this was a common purchase and that my head wouldn't catch fire.

As I said I'm not a morning person, nor was I ready for a deep conversation on a subject I admittedly have little experience. So I guess I asked the same question a few times or maybe there was something in my voice that gave the impression I was pretty ticked off ... He suggested maybe I'd be better with a local electronics shop where I could ask the questions I had in person, I said "Oh there's a Radio shack a block from here", He said something in French and then said, "Then I'll be happy to cancel your order and you can shop there, Good Bye".

And sure enough there was an order cancelled e-mail waiting for me at 7:00 am (when I got up).

I don't think he was being rude (well maybe a little, as I am familiar with a bit French Canadian profanity and I recognized one word at the end); I regrettably was half awake, stumbling over what he was saying and too sleepy to suggest we have this conversation in 5 hours. My bad.

So I won't be able to crash test the unit ... Too bad.

Having said I looked around yesterday and the 9v +12v CPU / GPU combo seems pretty common for DIY trooper fans. There are tutorials, diagrams, eBay (and non eBay) sales, with no mention of deleterious effects.

But dash I'll take your words to heart and look for a different solution.

Thanks for the advice.

Edited by gmrhodes13

i have no doubt that a 12v fan would run on a 9v battery.. but suggesting you use cheap batteries to prevent overheating is laughable. i am no expert on helmet fans by any means.. heck my helmet doesn't even have one yet... :P but i have been working with diy electronics since i was about 10 yrs old.. and i know for a fact that running any DC motor at lower than specified voltages will cause it to run slower and burn out faster than normal.

there are several applications that correct voltages are not critical, say for instance some audio amplifiers that runs on 5 or6 volts will function perfect with a 9v battery.. but many circuits of this kind have integrated voltage regulation, a motor or fan does not have this..

like i said before this is only my opinion, but i think of it like this. i have invested a lot of time and money into my armor, and i am trying to save as much money as i can (my budget is almost gone :() but if you or someone you know has kids you know how much batteries cost. i would rather spend a bit more on higher quality fans and run them off the specified voltages. not only for more efficient power usage, i think i would cry if battery acid melted my helmet ;)

and i were to make a tutorial on helmet fans that use 12v fans with 9v batteries i would put up a disclaimer stating that running fans with lower than specified voltages "MAY" cause adverse effects..

there are probably 10s of thousands of different types of 12v fans but the amount of amperage they require can differ greatly from fan to fan some may be fine while others could cause an explosion in time. and someone inexperienced with electronics may just grab any 12v fan without taking this into account.

i think ill put up a video of a high amperage 12v fan hooked a 9v battery if i have time, i think it would be a good deterrent from anyone doing this :0Lighten: also i like to blow stuff up lol

This forum is built on transparency and sharing of information. Unless you're touting the wares of a pedophile (star fortress) or a rampant recaster, the more info you share the better the community becomes. If you look at all the members here who are lauded, they are being held up as exemplary for sharing what they know, not hoarding information.

Dash,

I hope you don't think I was doubting your advice. Seriously!

I was just pointing out that the 9v Battery + 12VDC fan is pretty common to see. Just because it's common doesn't make it right, or safe. Heck have a look on eBay right now there are at least 2 different units up for sale - one looks very similar to a set-up seen on this board (except it's being sold from the UK) and the looks like a fire waiting to happen.

I've already done a plan for a new fan set-up with your words of wisdom in mind. As you say the suits cost a lot and I, like you, am not willing to risk that 'investment' for saving a few bucks.

Again thanks for the informative response and setting me off in the right direction, and I look forward to your video.

all the best,

matt.

Dash,

I hope you don't think I was doubting your advice. Seriously!

I was just pointing out that the 9v Battery + 12VDC fan is pretty common to see. Just because it's common doesn't make it right, or safe. Heck have a look on eBay right now there are at least 2 different units up for sale - one looks very similar to a set-up seen on this board (except it's being sold from the UK) and the looks like a fire waiting to happen.

I've already done a plan for a new fan set-up with your words of wisdom in mind. As you say the suits cost a lot and I, like you, am not willing to risk that 'investment' for saving a few bucks.

Again thanks for the informative response and setting me off in the right direction, and I look forward to your video.

all the best,

matt.

oh no lol.. i just noticed the possible problem and just gave advice based on what i have learned over the years, if down the road something happened your helmet, i would have felt guilty for not telling you my opinion.

better safe than sorry... :)

mason