AP ANH forearm question

I have decided I want to but the seams together. I have large forearms and want to know if the 15mm strip is standard? If I use a 17 or 18 mm is it going to make that much diff. I plan on using this to join the 501st and would like to know if this size is set in stone or just a reference. I have been reading many posts that say 15mm should be used for the strip. Thanks.

Yep, I also used 20mm on the forearms. My recommendation is, if you have to shim, add it to the back only if you can and leave the front as canon as possible.

I have decided I want to but the seams together. I have large forearms and want to know if the 15mm strip is standard? If I use a 17 or 18 mm is it going to make that much diff. I plan on using this to join the 501st and would like to know if this size is set in stone or just a reference. I have been reading many posts that say 15mm should be used for the strip. Thanks.

Before I "But seamed" my AP forearms together I taped them together with "Blue Painters tape and tried them on with my black "Underarmor" top to see how the fit was. This way you can see if you need to add shims. Also, Some people glue one side of the forearm and use velcro on the other.

I used a "15 mm" strip on mine. I first had wider strips then I removed them and cut them down to "15 mm" Your choice.

Before I "But seamed" my AP forearms together I taped them together with "Blue Painters tape and tried them on with my black "Underarmor" top to see how the fit was. This way you can see if you need to add shims. Also, Some people glue one side of the forearm and use velcro on the other.

I used a "15 mm" strip on mine. I first had wider strips then I removed them and cut them down to "15 mm" Your choice.

Forgot to mention. Make sure you line the AP forarms at the front. Glue one side at a time. Let sit for a day or two then do the other. Make sure you you use tape and clamps.

Andy

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I have them together and they look great. I have another question. They almost fit me perfectly. However, I think they would be a little more comfortable if they were more round than oval. Has anyone ever warmed them up some way and rounded them out after they are put together? Or would this take away from the look. For example, if you look in them through the wrist hole, they look oval. I would like that to be round like my forearm is in circumfrance.

Thanks for all of the advice so far. I have them together and they look great. I have another question. They almost fit me perfectly. However, I think they would be a little more comfortable if they were more round than oval. Has anyone ever warmed them up some way and rounded them out after they are put together? Or would this take away from the look. For example, if you look in them through the wrist hole, they look oval. I would like that to be round like my forearm is in circumfrance.

BE CAREFUL DO NOT use a heat gun, ABS has very high rubber content, it will just distort and you will ruin your parts, leave it as it is. it's better to trim off the lip if you have some, many leave the trim which sink into the skin, the original didn't have any lip on the forearms and biceps

Mark

Edited by ABS80

BE CAREFUL DO NOT use a heat gun, ABS has very high rubber content, it will just distort and you will ruin your parts, leave it as it is. it's better to trim off the lip if you have some, many leave the trim which sink into the skin, the original didn't have any lip on the forearms and biceps

Mark

Although I have a different kit, it's also ABS and I was also considering slightly reshaping the forearms for a better fit. I hear what you say about the heat gun, but what about using boiling water for (I assume) more even heating & less local distortion? Would that make a difference, or is it best just to leave as is?

IMHO it's a very dangerous game. I heated up my side-gap shims and ruined a piece before I got it right, and all I was doing was giving a flat piece of ABS a slight bend. I found when you give it too much heat it gets weird bumps and is a little unpredictable.

My $0.02 :)