Should the thermal detonator be required?

Daetrin

Considering that in a bunch of screen shots it's apparent that not all troopers have a termal detonator, should this really be considered required for an ANH TK?

Thoughts?

Even though it not always be there, I just can't fathom a TK without a TD... one opinion.

Thx, Ed

Considering that in a bunch of screen shots it's apparent that not all troopers have a termal detonator, should this really be considered required for an ANH TK?

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Not necessary at all. I mean, it looks way too bare without it. I've recently been wanting to either find or fabricate a grapling hook for my kit, just to be different. My only concern is some kid would grab it and try to run off with it or something.

If anyone knows of a good tutorial on how to make one or a place where i can purchase one, please post it or PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

think it?s a similar question like the TD?s should have a backpack

imo the termaldetonator should be part of every perfect ANH trooper

otherwise you can say damaged armor, taped armor is required for a real ANH trooper :lol

• 4 months later...

I remember seeing TD's(Sandies) without Thermal detonators but not Regular TK's. I know that several TD's also didn't wear bacpacks. THink of the Falcon scene when they take off and get attacked by troopers. I think it will probably be one of those "fun" little arguments that will always go on. With or without????????? Hmmmmmm........Decisions!!!!

I remember seeing TD's(Sandies) without Thermal detonators but not Regular TK's. I know that several TD's also didn't wear bacpacks. THink of the Falcon scene when they take off and get attacked by troopers. I think it will probably be one of those "fun" little arguments that will always go on. With or without????????? Hmmmmmm........Decisions!!!!

I was wondering if you cn get 501st TD approval without a back pack :unsure:

I was wondering if you cn get 501st TD approval without a back pack :unsure:
You'd be surprised how easy it is to get TD designation currently. You don't even actually have to be dirty. I don't remember the requirements, but they're lax. MEPD has done a great job of raising the bar on the TD costume.

FWIW, the Legion TD requirements are under review and I'm quite certain the bar will be raised to include dirt among other things. Dirtless variants will all fall under different costume names (e.g. Heavy Weapons Troopers). And it can easily be argued that the current MEPD standards being high is what inspires people to reach them.

No question about it troops - in the coming weeks the FISD staff will be offering up higher "deployed" standards of our own - the better to promote higher standards for TKs.

• Like 1

FWIW, the Legion TD requirements are under review and I'm quite certain the bar will be raised to include dirt among other things. Dirtless variants will all fall under different costume names (e.g. Heavy Weapons Troopers). And it can easily be argued that the current MEPD standards being high is what inspires people to reach them.

No question about it troops - in the coming weeks the FISD staff will be offering up higher "deployed" standards of our own - the better to promote higher standards for TKs.

All and all it's fine by me bout time we have more TD's that look like TD's I cant wait to get my sandtrooper Rolling this year and i hope to have my ANH Vader Ready also ::crosses fingers::

FWIW, the Legion TD requirements are under review and I'm quite certain the bar will be raised to include dirt among other things.

When the Legion changes it's requirments do they effect everyone or just new members. I know there were some issues about Rubies boxed Vaders made it in even though that doesn't meet the standards. But once they were approved they were allowed to stay in.

Indeed. The higher standards for deployment have really given me something to strive towards.

When the Legion changes it's requirments do they effect everyone or just new members. I know there were some issues about Rubies boxed Vaders made it in even though that doesn't meet the standards. But once they were approved they were allowed to stay in.

I personally think it should apply to all members regardless of what the standards were 5-7 years ago, you have to keep evolving, or you will just be passed up :unsure:

I have to disagree. Say you dump thousands into a costume and you were accepted for membership a year or two ago. The Legion then changes the standards. During that time you may have lost your job, had life altering event, i.e. divorce, marriage, child birth, injuries, etc., you may not have the cash to invest to upgrade your costume to retain your membership. What then? You get kicked out? You get put on some kind of probation? Sure, I think the person should make the attempt to meet the new standards, but it's wrong to push it down their throats in those situations.

Remember, we're a club and this is all for fun. Higher guidelines for detachments are great and having certain guidelines for membership to ensure quality is a core 501st value. But if we start becoming elitist and so strict about every little thing, the fun factor will be gone.

• Like 1

Remember, we're a club and this is all for fun. Higher guidelines for detachments are great and having certain guidelines for membership to ensure quality is a core 501st value. But if we start becoming elitist and so strict about every little thing, the fun factor will be gone.

Good point! I think for most guys, there will be a certain amount of pride that will make lots of "downlevel" costumes get upgraded without any coertion from the Legion at all. But for guys who have been trooping for years but just can't swing the upgrade costs, kicking them out of the Legion seems a little draconian.

However, back on point, I think the thermal detinator should be required.

Here is some food for thought. What if we required a "cannon belt accessory". Then if you wanted to have a grappeling hook you could still meet deployment standards.

Just my 2 cents.

In the end it's up to the LMO. I suspect though that the standard would read that the costume standard required equipment includes the detonator, and the grappling hook + comlink are authorized optional equipment. This doesn't mean that you have to troop with the TD at all, but it does mean that you need to have it to be accepted, as you may have to do a canon event.

• 7 months later...

Alright I gotta toss my two creds in here...

I think if it's in the film and in three or more places it's gotta count!

Now it doesn't mean that it's preferred, but if it's in the films that much, intentional or not...

it is technically, by our own LMO's definition, canon.

Now that being said...who wouldn't want explosives strapped to their butt? :lol:

• Like 1