Ok, I've done some troubleshooting and can explain the symptoms a little better now:
I have the following equipment
- Tony's Hovi tip speakers
- ROM F/X I received last summer
- Microphone included with the ROM F/X kit
- Duracell 9V battery measuring 8.9 volts (or others that are up to 9.1)
- Tony's hearing assist which doesn't appear to affect anything; I tested everything outside of the helmet (except the Hovi speakers).
- fans with a USB power supply (but again the battery wasn't installed, and I tested everything outside the helmet anyway)
What I found:
1. Using the hovi speakers, and 9V battery, if I turn the volume more than about half way up, it says the "ROM F/X" boot up phrase every time after I speak.
2. If i change to the larger speaker that came with the ROM F/X kit, it works fine with the 9V battery even at the highest volume.
3. If I use the hovi speakers and the 12V 8AA battery pack I received with the ROM F/X kit, it seems to work fine.
4. I've changed microphones from the ROM F/X one to Tony's and there doesn't appear to be a difference in the outcome; still the same as noted above with each option.
Therefore, it appears to be the combination of the 9V battery and the Hovi speakers.
But... it used to work fine with this combination. It just started doing that re-boot phrase one time when I was trooping after each time I talked. Strange thing that it worked fine before. I didn't change anything or move anything around that would have caused this to happen. It just "happened" one day.
I love having everything contained in the helmet, so mounting the larger speaker and power supply into the chest is not my favorite option.
Putting the large battery pack in the helmet might be an option, but not my favorite idea because of the weight, and my big head...
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.