ObiHahn's DLT-19

• 2 months later...

A little resurrection of my old thread here.

I have repainted my DoopyDoos DLT-19 since last time, I never was too happy about the "metallic" effect of V.1, so here's V.2.

I even managed to get better pics of some of the details that DoopyDoos put into their casts, like symbols and writing on the bipod.

4256611002_7a5f9d7bf8_b.jpg

4256628984_2d084fc83e_b.jpg

4256613242_ae17cbec3f_b.jpg

4256615130_0b8d83348a_b.jpg

4255851821_a9ffbc0e9f_b.jpg

4255852439_0c3c44b1e4_b.jpg

Great job, and thanks for the great pics! I'm scratch building a DLT-19 right now to pass the time until my armor comes, and your pics have been a great reference. Especially appreciate the close-ups! :D

Hey Dennis,

Looking great! I have a question for you tho (or anyone really) I see that you've used the Woodgrain look for the butt. Do you know if it were black would it be canon? I have a Hyperfirm coming and I like the black look better, but was wondering if it was canon or not.

Thanks man!

Hallo Dennis,

Wie geht's meinen freund?

That's a better paintjob now... On my bipod, I have the same symbols, including the eagle and the dpq writing (or something like that).... Unfortunately, I have some bad news, before Xmas I managed to accidently break my bipod into 3 pieces... (long story).... so i'm waiting for a replacement part from DD... luckily the main body of the DLT was not damaged... phew

Ouch, Shiv my buddy. That's bad news...breakage problems. Yuck! I hope you get your replacement bipod soon.

@Dean: need more closeups of certain parts? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

@Matt: AFAK the black is ANH canon, but the rules aren't that strict. I like the black as well, but I like the woodgrain/Bakelite look better (as seen on Braksbuddys "looksirdroids" page) and decided to go for that color instead on my BFG.

And thanks all for your praise!

I thought ANH canon was bakelight. I'd have to see hires of both Mos Eisley as well as looking at the one Han had. I wonder if they were identical, or if they were painted between Tunisia & England.

IIRC back when these guns were made they did not use wood but bakelite for the stocks.

IIRC back when these guns were made they did not use wood but bakelite for the stocks.

The MG34s they used in the movies were late WW2 models, all those had bakelite stocks instead of wood, as far as I know.

I have a screenshot of Han somewhere where the stock and the whole gun looks plain black. I'm not sure if I ever saw clear screengrabs of the sandtroopers' MG34s from the earlier Tunisian shoot.

Here's Han on the Death Star:

http://forum.501stforum.de/upload/storage/...81262970159.jpg

And here's the guy searching the Falcon:

http://forum.501stforum.de/upload/storage/...w1262970197.jpg

It's very hard to tell from both these, I'm afraid. But they're the best TK DLT-19 movie reference I got.

Ouch, Shiv my buddy. That's bad news...breakage problems. Yuck! I hope you get your replacement bipod soon.

@Dean: need more closeups of certain parts? Let me know, I'll see what I can do.

@Matt: AFAK the black is ANH canon, but the rules aren't that strict. I like the black as well, but I like the woodgrain/Bakelite look better (as seen on Braksbuddys "looksirdroids" page) and decided to go for that color instead on my BFG.

And thanks all for your praise!

Actually, you could help me out. I'm looking for the dimensions of each leg of the t-track and the thickness. Doesn't have to be exact. Just get me in the ballpark. I'll be making my own and that measurement is a little tough to get off photos, as most of the best shots are just MG34s. Thanks!

Actually, you could help me out. I'm looking for the dimensions of each leg of the t-track and the thickness. Doesn't have to be exact. Just get me in the ballpark. I'll be making my own and that measurement is a little tough to get off photos, as most of the best shots are just MG34s. Thanks!

Here's what I measured on mine in millimeters, I tried to be as accurate as possible:

- all t-tracks are 10mm wide and 7,5mm thick/high, with a 3mm "base" and a 4,5mm "fin"

- front end of barrel has 8 t-tracks, with a length of 128mm each

- rear end of barrel has 8 as well, with a length of 183mm each - bear in mind that the 2 t-tracks on the underside of the barrel have to be split in two parts to accomodate the bipod mount.

Hope that helps. It's what DoopyDoos has on their model only, so not claiming any movie accuracy here... ;)

Does anyone currently make these for E-11/MG-34? I ask in that Stomper used to but is not shipping from what I understand. Smitty used to sell some but it wasn't 100% accurate.

IIRC there was a site that offered them but I can't find them anymore. Not sure about anyone else, but I need a nice set for both my weapons and would prefer to pay a little more $$ to get better quality/accuracy than what I used in the past.

Here's what I measured on mine in millimeters, I tried to be as accurate as possible:

- all t-tracks are 10mm wide and 7,5mm thick/high, with a 3mm "base" and a 4,5mm "fin"

- front end of barrel has 8 t-tracks, with a length of 128mm each

- rear end of barrel has 8 as well, with a length of 183mm each - bear in mind that the 2 t-tracks on the underside of the barrel have to be split in two parts to accomodate the bipod mount.

Hope that helps. It's what DoopyDoos has on their model only, so not claiming any movie accuracy here... ;)

Thanks for helpin' a trooper out! I'll post pics of my project once I get a little further on.

• 1 month later...

Reviving my old thread here a little...

I recall people asking how much the DoopyDoos DLT-19 weighs. I since had the opportunity to weigh it, and it comes in at 2,3 kilograms almost exactly. My resin E-11 weighs 1,1kg, so that's not an awful lot more for a gun double that size.

I have a question while at it...

Doopydoos puts the cocking handle in the wrong position, too far towards the barrel. They made it removable with a screw thread, which I like a lot, but now I was wondering about how to install it closer to the grip/trigger like it's supposed to be. I have no clue how to find a threaded piece that fits the screw part of the handle, and on top of it I'm not sure how to install such a piece in solid resin.

Any suggestions/ideas?

I have a question while at it...

Doopydoos puts the cocking handle in the wrong position, too far towards the barrel. They made it removable with a screw thread, which I like a lot, but now I was wondering about how to install it closer to the grip/trigger like it's supposed to be. I have no clue how to find a threaded piece that fits the screw part of the handle, and on top of it I'm not sure how to install such a piece in solid resin.

Any suggestions/ideas?

When you unscrew the handle, is there a threaded hole in the receiver or is there a threaded bolt sticking out (the the cocking handle has the hole?).

If the hole is in the receiver, that's easy. Find out what thread pitch the cocking handle has, and drill a new hole in the new location, tap the threads and screw the handle in, and patch the old hole.

Resin can sustain tapping of threads if you do it carefully, I've done it many times before,

If there's a bolt sticking out, cut it off and patch it up. Drill a hole in the new location and tap the threads, and go buy a longer bolt with the same threading. Cut the head off the bolt (allowing for half the bolt to reside int he handle, the other half residing in the receiver), and screw it into the handle, then screw the handle into the receiver.

Or, simply drill a slightly larger hole in the receiver, glue your bolt into the hole, and screw the handle on top.

Thanks Terry, these are good suggestions.

The hole is in the receiver, the handle has the threaded bolt.

Only question is, how do I cut a thread, what tool will I need?

And will the resin thread alone be sturdy enough to hold the bolt/cocking handle after repeated unscrewing?

DoopyDoos cast a metal nut into the receiver to hold the handle bolt. I guess placing another nut in the appropriate spot would be the most stable solution...I'll see if that is doable and if I'll find a nut with the correct sized hole.

• 2 weeks later...

After quite some time I now finally finished modding my DoopyDoos DLT-19.

I added quite a bit of details, changed things around and gave it a whole new weathered metallic paintjob since I unpacked it from the delivery box over 5 months ago. It's a great base for an accurate BFG, but some things bugged me and I had to remedy that...

Things I modded:

- opened all necessary holes with a dremel (like under the front sight or drilling out the cocking handle)

- repositioned the cocking handle

- added the details on both sides of the receiver

- added the rear barrel sight

- dremeled the missing detail into the raised middle part of the barrel

- added wire to the t-tracks

- removed the strange square disc on the bottom of the grip and added the correct holding ring detail

Here's the final look and some close-ups on the details:

4422812355_9448c8c52d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4422812355_9448c8c52d_b.jpg

4423578266_8d0bebc014_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2722/4423578266_8d0bebc014_b.jpg

Barrel detail and t-track wires:

4424720098_488d4070b1_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4012/4424720098_488d4070b1_b.jpg

Rear barrel sight:

4424722298_c8408bf86a_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2759/4424722298_c8408bf86a_b.jpg

Receiver box detail: