Has any one thought about doing this to their helmet?

Instead of using decals I was going to paint my helmet and perhaps even cut out the slits to allow air to flow (the inside is going to be painted black with rubber truck bedliner.) Would 501st approve such a crazy design!? Might even make a buffer zone about 1/10th an inch thick that is black that will not allow anyone to see in the helmet through the slits but will allow air to flow.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

MiDri said:
Instead of using decals I was going to paint my helmet and perhaps even cut out the slits to allow air to flow (the inside is going to be painted black with rubber truck bedliner.) Would 501st approve such a crazy design!? Might even make a buffer zone about 1/10th an inch thick that is black that will not allow anyone to see in the helmet through the slits but will allow air to flow.

------------

I cannot see the 501st clearing slots cut into the helmet in the manner you describe. Why not fit a set of squirell fans and fit your lenses with slight gaps top and bottom to allow for air flow?

Edited by gmrhodes13

I cannot see the 501st clearing slots cut into the helmet in the manner you describe. Why not fit a set of squirell fans and fit your lenses with slight gaps top and bottom to allow for air flow?

The idea was more so to make the helmet what it should have been if it was a functional piece. They appear to be fake air vents, so i figured why not make them real air vents?

Ya this is a old idea, trooperDad was the first to do this. from what i remember the work he did was so great that many didnt notice them, tthey had to be told that they were cut!!!! His thread about this mod is in here around when the detchment was formed.

Kiyotei in my garrison also did this. Unless you're up close you can barely tell. IIRC he just did this in the back, not the tears.

One guy in our squad has grey mesh in those areas. He's in the Legion and it looks great on his bucket unless you really look at it. It's an FX bucket though, so not that accurate to begin with. ;) haha

I did the slots on 1 side of the back decal vents on my helmet. Mounted a small fan there blowing out for ventilation. The noise is minimal & the vents aren't noticable, unless you know to look for them. Personally, I'd avoid doing that on the front vent decals.

There are a couple of guys in the ECG who have done that. With the dremel, it looks so clean you can't even tell the holes from the sticker unless you are close. They even put the fans there.

TK-2126_MD said:
Ya this is a old idea, trooperDad was the first to do this. from what i remember the work he did was so great that many didnt notice them, tthey had to be told that they were cut!!!! His thread about this mod is in here around when the detchment was formed.

Blaze said:
pictures or it didn't happen :P

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13