Before I make a Big Mistake

Alright I'm stuck..

I keep going over and over in my head which buket I should paint black for my TX. I knnow this is a TK site and I've tried to get on the Spec Ops forum but I can't post over there. So it's up to you all.

I have a MRCE and a TE and I could get a ATA.

I like the way the TE looks but it's a bumpy cap and with it being black every little bump will be magnified. I could take the time to sand and smooth it down but there again that takes away from the look.

MRCE, I like it but it's just not quite right. I would have to do the ANH mod trick to get it up to speed. The cool thing is it is compltetly smooth and would probably shine up nice.

ATA I've been in touch with and he said he could pull one in black. I have only seen picture on here of the helmet and I haven't seen size or side by side shots yet. (StarWarsHelmets where are you) If anyone knows of a picture let me know.

So after saying this I guess what is going through my head. Do I mess with the MRCE or not. I've been watching the prices go up on the bay. I could probably turn it into some cash to pay for a different helmet. Are these really that rare or is just the Halloween effect?

Anyone have a differnet idea let me know. I'm just brain storming here.

Thanks,

Prices always seem to boom a little 'round Halloween time.

I'd get ATA to pull one in black if thats an option. Would it be Black high gloss HIPS? Flat black HIPS wouldnt do you much good cuz you'd still have to paint it anyway.

My recommendation: Get a plain ole' White ATA and gloss it black with Rustoleum. I've done it several times and they turn out great. I did one so glossy one time you could see next week's reflection in it.

Ithink your main question that needs to be answered is:

"Are u going for a idealized TX? or not.

If u want a Idealized look i think ATA or MRCE ( if u have the right ears then MRCE is propably the better one for the idealized look)

If not then TE or the ATA ( If u have the right ears for your MRCE)

Idealized or not ( what are u looking for?)

I've seen photos of a TX MRCE and it's pretty sweet, but I agree with Smitty. Save yourself some work and some bucks and go with the ATA pulled in black.

BTW, that's a pretty sinister-looking avatar you've got there. I like it. :duim:

Smitty, do you have a pic of the black CAP helmet you used to have?

I think this one is it. I cant tell from work because the server is blocked here. If this isnt the pic I'll fix it when i get home.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Thanks Brain Stormers,

Idalized :huh: I think I know what you mean here, I guess I want my cake and eat it.

I do have a set of ANH ears I could add to the MRCE. I was just going to shave the originals down to size. I'll have to look at this...

Have any of you guys sized up a ATA. How does it compare to what I have? Some of the pictures I've seen it appears to be smaller.

Also yep the ATA in black HIPS would still need painting to get the gloss. The advantage would be for Trooping if it got a serious scratch there would be black underneath.

I'm not affrad of using paint and buffing it out to a great shine.

I'm starting to get to where I can tell by site different makes of helmats (Thanks StarWarsHelmets.com). I know I hate FX lids...and I'm getting to where there seams to be more MRCE. Don't get me wrong I like some of the features of the MRCE (that's why i have 2 of them, 1 to mess with).

The avatar I got off the net somewhare. (Sorry I can't give the guy credit, but I liked it too)

Can you guys tell me what type of helmet this is?

post-4603-1254888278_thumb.jpg

This is where I'd like to be headed.

Smitty thanks for the input, My work server also blocks pics, I'll check it out when I get home.

This place is the best !

Bill thats the Artist Proof TX from Master Replica. Its what I was Modeling my TX bucket for. I sure would like to get my hands on some of those mirrored bubble lenses. Here's my finished TX

------------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Can you guys tell me what type of helmet this is?

post-4603-1254888278_thumb.jpg

This is where I'd like to be headed.

That looks like a MR Shadowtrooper, http://www.starwarshelmets.com/MR_Shadowtrooper.htm.

If you like that look then Id say the choice is easy. Go MR CE. The CE and shadowtrooper are very much alike and with a little work you would get something very close.

I just sold my CE but I actually thought about doing this to it, but I love white stormies to much.

That looks like a MR Shadowtrooper, http://www.starwarshelmets.com/MR_Shadowtrooper.htm.

If you like that look then Id say the choice is easy. Go MR CE. The CE and shadowtrooper are very much alike and with a little work you would get something very close.

I just sold my CE but I actually thought about doing this to it, but I love white stormies to much.

That's it!

I had not seen that on StarWarsHelmets.com, I don't know how I missed it.

Now to find some Hero mirrored lenses. Hey Smitty!

Thanks all for the help.

Keep us updated!

And for lenses, Id go flat if I wanted to troop. Im not a trooper byt I can imagine how it would feel after a while looking through bubled lenses.

Yes I agree Flat is the way to go. The Hero is just for looks.

I just got this in a email.post-4603-1254910317_thumb.jpg

Not making my decision any easier. It looks smoother than I was thinking it would be, so a glossy coat might not look too bad.

Still debating in my head.............

It will all come down to

1. Idealized or not like someone allready said.

2. Construction, the CE might take beating better if trooping, but I guess its also a bit heavier.

I do like the idealized look and can understand anyone who goes that route. In a way its how Lucas would have made them if he could at that time. But the personality of the wonky helmets are the designs i love. They are Star Wars. I can look at the beat up incomplete originals for hours...

Sorry for drifting of topic. Im sure youll be happy either way!

Smitty said:
Bill thats the Artist Proof TX from Master Replica. Its what I was Modeling my TX bucket for. I sure would like to get my hands on some of those mirrored bubble lenses. Here's my finished TX

-----------

Smitty that looks way cool!

Is that a ATA? What did you use for the lenses?

Now I'm just thinking do them both. MRCE and get a ATA. (Can you ever have to many lids?.........I think not) Great input!!!

Edited by gmrhodes13

for maintenance sake I would go with the black pull...less touching up.

Oh and to answer an above question...Obievon, I think your avatar is one of the pictures from Star Wars Helmet's site, flipped and cropped into close-up.

I can hardly wait to see your TX. Makes me want to forget my chest box (and all the fiddly little buttons) and go for my TK or TX right now. (we need a head slap emoticon right here).

Good luck!

Bill, that was a CAP helmet. Its basically just like an ATA but the ATA is just a wee bit smaller but still looks great. I think my next set of armor is gonna be ATA when I can swing the funds. The Mirror lens I used for that one was an item I got from THE MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE online called AFX FastShield. You can get it in all sorts of different colors. I paid about $25 shipped for the AFX fastshield.

Bill, that was a CAP helmet. Its basically just like an ATA but the ATA is just a wee bit smaller but still looks great. I think my next set of armor is gonna be ATA when I can swing the funds. The Mirror lens I used for that one was an item I got from THE MOTORCYCLE SUPERSTORE online called AFX FastShield. You can get it in all sorts of different colors. I paid about $25 shipped for the AFX fastshield.

Wow I just got stuff from them, never saw the AFX Shield. (Now I have ta get moooore stuff!) Thank's Smitty! :P (oh ya, very sexy lid too!)

I also love youre shadow trooper helmet. I think the flat lenses look cooler tbh.

Why is the ATA smaller? How many % are we talking about?

Cheers

As far as size difference goes, by itself, you would never notice. Put it beside a TE2 and its slightly noticeable. The ATA helmet is cast from a CAP helmet and the buck material experienced some shrinkage as it cured. So the mold came out smaller than its predecessor helmet.

I also love youre shadow trooper helmet. I think the flat lenses look cooler tbh.

Why is the ATA smaller? How many % are we talking about?

Cheers

You know I'm not sure. I've asked the question too and really haven't heard back on it yet.

I would love to see a picture of a side by side comparison.

I'm sure someone is out there with this info, this place hasn't let me down yet. :duim:

As far as size difference goes, by itself, you would never notice. Put it beside a TE2 and its slightly noticeable. The ATA helmet is cast from a CAP helmet and the buck material experienced some shrinkage as it cured. So the mold came out smaller than its predecessor helmet.

Thanks Smitty!

Isnt the AP also slightly smaller?

ATA and AP are roughly the same size from what I've heard.

Here's a pic of my TE2 and ATA side by side. Keep in mind the ATA looks even smaller in this pic because its a hero helmet and the brow sits higher up into the dome to get the low brow effect. End result:makes it look even smaller. So maybe its not a fair comparison but you get the idea.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

Oh, Mr no stripe! ;)

It shows your point. The ears being more trimmed might add to the difference in looks.

On the subject heres a pic from starwarshelmets that show how different helmets look depending on assembly:

---------

BTW is the TM even bigger then the TE2?

Thanks for the pic Smitty. Im waiting for my ATA to arrive and Im very happy with the look it has.

Edited by gmrhodes13