Dye Black Boots

I've never dyed anything before or worked with leather that much and I've been reading that it's difficult to dye black boots white - you almost have to paint the white on. I purchased a pair of Shires Woodstock Jodhpur Boots a while back for around $50, after the pound conversion and shipping. My US shoe size is 10 so I got their size 44. The left shoe is just a tad snug, but otherwise a perfect fit. No wiggle room.

boot_jodhpur.jpg

Decided to started on the left boot, see how it turns out, then work on the right. I sanded the finish off with sandpaper.

boot_sanded.jpg

I went to Tandy Leather and got a couple bottles of Fiebing's white leather dye. I applied them in layers, letting each layer dry before applying the next coat. Took a lot of layers to turn white. It looks ok but I'm not impressed. Maybe I should have bought leather paint instead?

boot_dyed.jpg

The dye starts to crack after it becomes fully dried. I'm not sure if I applied too many coats or if the leather just isn't soaking up the dye. Probably a little bit of both. I didn't use a deglazer to prep the leather before I started; not sure if that would have made a difference. I'm going to buy some white shoe polish and see if that will help. Any other suggestions?

boot_dyed_crack.jpg

That happened when I tried to dye a pair of boots for a friend. Now you get to remove it all and use the NuLife spray if you want a nice even and perfect finish. But remember the originals were far from perfect. Just depends on how you want it to look.

be sure to use some sort of deglazer first to remove the old oils. I used mineral spirits. could use http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Meltoni...rer_p/10041.htm if you want official stuff.

Then use meltonian new life color spray. It worked pretty well.

http://www.shoetreemarketplace.com/Meltoni...pray_p/1003.htm

While I do like being screen accurate, and the way they are now probably are acceptable for that, I'd like my boots to have a nice finish. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Seems NuLife is the way to go.

While I do like being screen accurate, and the way they are now probably are acceptable for that, I'd like my boots to have a nice finish. Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Seems NuLife is the way to go.

As for deglazer, TK300 Tutorial recommends using "White Spirit". Researching on the web, I've seen sneaker painters say they use acetone, which I just picked up at Home Despot for about $6.

@TrooperTim: Did you use leather "dye" or leather "acrylic" paint? (out here in CA much of Fiebing's stuff is outlawed due to "hug-a-tree" laws)

Um, I posted about a week ago about going about dyeing black boots.

Dyeing Black Jodhpur Boots

I've done leatherwork for years and you do need to use a deglazer. One of the main problems with Jodhpur boots is that they are designed to resist the elements, and animal by-products. So the dyes and finishes are really tough.

One possible reason (already mentioned) for the cracking is the number of layers of dye used. Another is the fact that strange as it may seem, you need to get the leather wet before applying the dye. I know that sounds like an oxymoron, but if the leather is moistened (not soaking wet) it will absorb the dye more readily.

Another suggestion to limit the number of dye coats is to use an intermediate color between the black and the white. Put down a coat of light grey just over the bottom black. Then after that dries, wet it down again, and apply a coat of white. I wouldn't apply more than three coats total (1 grey, 2 white). You can then use a leather whitener (Kiwi) that has a sponge applicator for touch ups. You will also need to apply a top coat to seal the dye and protect your boots from the elements. Remember, you have removed the coating that the manufacturer put on the boots.

I was working on a written tutorial about how to dye boots, and I didn't know if people were still interested. If you'd like more advice, you can PM me and I'll see about posting my written tutorial later today.

Also, (directed at JAG) there is a leather "paint" supplied by Tandy Leather Factory that is acceptable in California, also, there are several sites that sell products to recolor leather furniture.

• 4 years later...

I had great success using Leather paint. I haven't begun making a whitearmor tutorial, but have a full step by step description and pictures at my build blog. The link to the specific boot tutorial is : http://a-savage-tk-build.tumblr.com/post/79513747636/so-after-a-little-work-ive-turn-black-boots-into

Edited by AFMedic
  • Like 1

I got a pair of black Amsterdam boots, and I hit them with about 1/2 of a quart container each of acetone.  It took me about 45 minutes for each boot, and I was able to completely strip the shine away.  I worked in the sun and was able to see shiny bits and scrub away until I didn't see any left.

Before:

QyMU2Ha.jpg

After:

Nz0cGzC.jpg

After that, I used a bottle of Angelus white leather paint, and got about 6 coats on.  I wasn't too happy with the visible brush strokes, but you can only see those if you're laying on the ground staring at my boots.   :)

4heRsTj.jpg

Edited by maxsteele

• 1 year later...