The "right hand" side snap, and chest and back question?

So, if I'm trying to replicate the ANH style - I noticed that on the left, there's the 3 sets (6 total) rivets running vertically near your left elbow. I'm going to use the elastic / snap glued on plates method here.

However, for the right side - in all the pics I've seen there's just one snap visible, near the right elbow, on the front ab piece.

Is there only one snap here? Is there another one under the belt?

And how does the fabric or elastic join / close here? I know the left side sort of clamshells, but how is the right side secured?

Also, re: the chest and back, I know how the shoulders should work (glued ribbed shoulders in front, floating in back, webbing strap underneath) but do people normally have some kind of elastic keeping the chest and back together (running along your ribs?).

Let me know, I can upload a drawing or something if necessary.

Thanks!

K3QShze.jpg

GXodN2X.jpg

Yes the 6 rivets are used to hold the elastic on one side, and the two/one snap on the other side is to close the clam shell.

UwWPNN3.jpg

Remember that there are different way to do this, but i like this one :D

There are some thread that talk about all this specificlly here some were.

EDIT:

Pics are not mine,and so far no one has said "Hey thous are mine"..... i dont know whos they are ( first two are TM i think ,last one ?????)

Thanks guys, very helpful!

I can see just the one snap visible on the left side. Is it a "male" snap (with a hole in the center) and does it snap to anything or is it just for show / ANH authenticity? Because it looks like your sides of the abs close with velcro. That's the exact snap I wanted to get info on. :)

In my armour the rivets and snaps are just for show, (but dont tell anyone i told you so). On the original armour there is a female snap on a short length of elastic glued into the rear part of the armour that closes the armour in the clam shell style :)

e0lrrvM.png

Ah, OK. So in that last picture, what I'm seeing is the "backside" of a male snap on the abs section. And like you mentioned, there's a female snap on a strap from the kidney section that would connect to it. I think I have a good way to make the closure more efficient now.

**You know, I think it's kind of a funny thing that we're all so fascinated by these sorts of small details. 72 people have viewed this thread, and we want to know "EXACTLY" how a snap button should be installed, because in the original Star Wars movie - that's just the way it was. And we don't question how silly this might be, it's important! We all want to know! :)

The top picture shows where the armour is rivited together on the left side of the body. The bottome picture shows the right side of the armour which opens for you to 'step' inside the armour and the single snap to hold the side closed in the clamshell style. The single snap on the right side of the body is facing inwards to the body with the snap holding it together on the inside.

Darth_Finger said:
These rivets, are they from the snaps? Kinda of confused on this part.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback an images guys.

To clarify, here's a diagram to describe what I'm trying to do strapping wise, I would love to get your guys feedback on it.

I noticed a lot of people have done the strapping for the torso like Firebladejedi and TK 2126 MD, where the chest / back, abs / kidney, and cod / butt is all sort of strapped together in 1 unit. I guess you undo the crotch snap, and put the whole thing over your head, then snap the crotch and ab sides together? Or keep the crotch strapped, and undo the shoulder straps and step into the torso like a giant diaper, and snap the shoulders shut?

This is what I had in mind. The abs / kidney, cod / butt are strapped together, but the chest / back simply rests on my shoulders, and the chest back is held together at the shoulders (shoulder straps standard) and the "new" strap is sort of under my armpits (see hand written note) that keeps the chest and back together.

To put it on, you'd put on the kidney / abs, cod / butt in one unit like a diaper / set of hip waders, then the chest / back goes over your head, and all you need to do is secure the snaps / velcro under the arm pits.

The reason why I thought this might be better is it would allow for a little more movement and allow the torso to twist more.

Secondly, I'm about 5' 8" so I don't have extra height like some 5' 10" guys do to "fill out" the armor. I figure I can use any extra mobility possible.

What do you guys think? I know there's no right or wrong way to do strapping, just wanted to see what worked best for people in terms of mobility and ease of use.

Thanks!

I'd lose the suspenders and the straps connecting chest and back,

connect the kidney to the back and the chest to the ab plate,

connect with rivets the kidney and ab on the left and with velcro on the right.

(Or you can do as I did: I have integrated the belt/suspenders/thigh_straps and connect the chest to the suspenders, works like a charm.

In this way the chest is well pressed against the body, but can overlap the ab plate freely giving me easier movement.)

In other words, the accurate way :) You undo the crotch and the right shoulder straps, open the armor like a clamshell and get in, close the side/crotch/shoulder.

I'm 5'8" too, and to perfectly fit in my TM I had to heat and bend down the strap parts on the back piece to "lift" everything up, it worked ;)

I have my body armour laying on the floor with the left side put together and the left shoulder connected. I step into the suit like a jacket, then do up the right side shoulder strap, connect the cod piece between my crotch and jobs done. On in one go.

The picture you have psted there terry looks more like a clone trooper set up.

"The picture you have posted there terry looks more like a clone trooper set up. "

Do you find mobility OK? I'm just wondering if one strap suspension method will offer better flexibility and mobility.

This is kind of one area where I want to be flexible, and not just stick to the "movie accurate" technique just because it's authentic.

*Firebladejedi, not sure if your strap setup is movie authentic, just using this phrase as an example.

Here's how I did mine:

3926500505_5f78187d46_o.jpg

Just like Stukatrooper my belt/suspenders/thighs_straps are all integrated.

The chest and ab are not connected, once I put the armor on I connect the chest to the suspenders to keep everything tight.

This way the chest can overlap the ab plate freely and gives me more freedom of movement.

The biceps are connected to the shoulder bells with a looped elastic.

Ab and kidney are connected on the left with rivets/elastic and on the right with a single snap+velcro.

The snap tabs on the butt plate are a bit closer one another than the ones on the kidney: this way when you're not wearing it the butt part isn't aligned,

but when you put it on it aligns perfectly with the kidney and the pieces don't overlap.

Chest and back are connected with a black elastic which has also the straps for shoulder bells and the white elastic to keep the ribbed straps down. Easy!

3644257648_0d831aac43.jpg3644257650_7fef07424c.jpg

Hope that helps! :)

Wow.... have times changed..... i remember the days when getting a pic pm to u was like buying recreational drugs.... very on the low low. ....

I am very happy things have changed!!!!!!

Of course all theses pics will/have been copy-pasted for my pursonal use :)

troopermaster said:

Try this method, works like a charm.

Paul, do you have any photos showing how the thighs are strapped to the rest of the costume?

Yes, attach them to a thin leather belt under your armour. The thighs have a wide elastic strap which is looped over at the top and at the bottom I have a female snap. Inside the thighs I have a tab with two male snaps glued behind the joining strip that allows for a bit of adjustment. You can have more snaps for more adjustment if you need them.

• 1 month later...
Yes, attach them to a thin leather belt under your armour. The thighs have a wide elastic strap which is looped over at the top and at the bottom I have a female snap. Inside the thighs I have a tab with two male snaps glued behind the joining strip that allows for a bit of adjustment. You can have more snaps for more adjustment if you need them.

I would love a pic of the lower extremities done this way. Any way we can see the secret?