Chrome Stormtrooper

bluehickey

Apparently Lego is making Chrome stormtrooper figures. Got me thinking: has anyone made chrome stormtrooper armor in real life? Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not 'canon', but it would be so awesome to wear! Can you imagine how fantastic that would look in real life?

Is there any kind of metallic, chrome spray paint that you could paint your white armor with, or would you have to make your armor out of a completely different material other than ABS or HIPS?

chrometrooper.jpg

Apparently Lego is making Chrome stormtrooper figures. Got me thinking: has anyone made chrome stormtrooper armor in real life? Yeah, yeah, I know, it's not 'canon', but it would be so awesome to wear! Can you imagine how fantastic that would look in real life?

Is there any kind of metallic, chrome spray paint that you could paint your white armor with, or would you have to make your armor out of a completely different material other than ABS or HIPS?

I believe there are some around but i think there was the same convo of this somewhere the in crome the stormtrooper looks like a 3CP0 type but internet has some pics located

<a href="http://www.uniquedaily.com/chrome-stormtrooper/" target="_blank">http://www.uniquedaily.com/chrome-stormtrooper/</a>

chrome-stormtrooper.jpgSNAG-0.jpg

Any ideas on what you would do for boots that match? Just get a grey boot or spray paint the boots with the chrome paint as well? I wonder what kind of maintenance would be required to keep the boots looking good.

Also, is this chrome version of a stormtrooper based off of something in the expanded universe somewhere?

Any ideas on what you would do for boots that match? Just get a grey boot or spray paint the boots with the chrome paint as well? I wonder what kind of maintenance would be required to keep the boots looking good.

Also, is this chrome version of a stormtrooper based off of something in the expanded universe somewhere?

I guess the boots would need a slick surface like the Caboots and then spray them "chrome"....or make the boots ABS and chrome 'em. You would walk like Darth Vader getting off the operating table :P

I don't think there is a chrome trooper in the EU. But now that Lego is making a figure, I'm sure Hasbro isn't too far behind.

What's next, clear armor?

I believe that is the Radiation trooper.

Radiation zone assault troopers, also known as radiation troopers or simply radtroopers, were an elite Imperial stormtrooper division. They were well equipped to operate in one of the deadliest terrain types. A lead-polymer substrate in the modified plastoid armor gave protection needed to withstand lethal Grade 5 radiation zone for several hours. Only the radtrooper suits were proof against extended operations in deadly environments. The Galactic Empire deployed them into radiation-filled zones that contained assets the Empire wanted to claim or defend. The Empire was known to employ neutron bombs, which killed or maimed a large number of the local population. Radtroopers were normally equipped with vibroblades, force pikes and grenades, as blasters lost their effectiveness in high rad conditions. Some special, high output blasters were issued to radtroopers

To get the full chrome look you would probably need to have a set of rubber boots. This is what all the 3po's use as they , along with the armour, can then go through the process of Vacuum metalising. This is the process that is used by the vast majority of 3po costumers to get the chromed then gold look .

So do you think you'd have to do the vacuum metalizing, or could you just us standard chrome spray paint on the armor? If so, another coat of some clear protective polyeurathane gloss could possibly keep the paint job from scratching off.

If your going to do it properly you need to go the vacuum metalising route. Its expensive but the results will far outshine anything out of a can.

To see the results of this process look up Luke George Burton on facebookj and look in his 3po build album.

You can look it up, but in the "tuner car world" there's automotive paints that you can layer up, and then polish to get the same chrome effect, for a lower cost than vaccuum metalize process.

I'm no expert, just something I've read!

Here's a link to a manufacturer of chrome paint.

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/mirrachrome/mirra_show1.htm

I believe that is the Radiation trooper.

Radiation zone assault troopers, also known as radiation troopers or simply radtroopers, were an elite Imperial stormtrooper division. They were well equipped to operate in one of the deadliest terrain types. A lead-polymer substrate in the modified plastoid armor gave protection needed to withstand lethal Grade 5 radiation zone for several hours. Only the radtrooper suits were proof against extended operations in deadly environments. The Galactic Empire deployed them into radiation-filled zones that contained assets the Empire wanted to claim or defend. The Empire was known to employ neutron bombs, which killed or maimed a large number of the local population. Radtroopers were normally equipped with vibroblades, force pikes and grenades, as blasters lost their effectiveness in high rad conditions. Some special, high output blasters were issued to radtroopers

Good to see that they have a background/story. I guess it might take someone actually making a full set of "radiation trooper" armor to see if it could get approved by the 501st and given it's own categorization. :0Lighten:

Good to see that they have a background/story. I guess it might take someone actually making a full set of "radiation trooper" armor to see if it could get approved by the 501st and given it's own categorization. :0Lighten:

It seems more likely that a radtrooper would be categorized as another version of TX, and owned by the spec ops detachment.

It seems more likely that a radtrooper would be categorized as another version of TX, and owned by the spec ops detachment.

I agree. It really shouldn't be a hard costume to put together, it really comes down to just getting the right kind of chrome paint. Seems like there are quit a few different options out there, it's just a matter of figuring out how much money you are willing to spend on the paint job.

If I were to do this I would need to save up for a second set of armor since I would still want to have my regular white armor for events where a flashy chrome trooper wouldn't be appropriate, and right now, my 'fun money' funds used for projects like this are currently depleted!

• 1 year later...