Doug's ATA Build[*ATA]

Pulling into my driveway this evening, I was smacked in the face with 9,000 Watts from a Beatles tribute band, playing a gig at the Blockbuster across the street.

So, already, my night was kind of surreal.

Then, what do I discover on my porch?

A big ol' box o' styrene goodness. :D

Awwwww yeah! :dance:

Ringo Storm-something?? Paul McWho??????

ATA_box.jpg

Needless to say, I had a knife plunged into that thing faster than O.J. at a waiters-who-are-putting-it-to-my-wife convention.

ATA_pre_build_1.jpg

ATA_pre_build_2.jpg

It really should be said that the producer of this kit is RIDICULOUSLY under-hyping his product and abilities.

He makes GOOD stuff, gang. Really, really nice work.

Everything looks sharp, detailed and clean.

And considering the price? *INSANE*.

Anyone considering an FX kit for ANY other reason than size, or ease of assembly, needs to do their homework on ATA.

Absolutely worth looking into.

From looking at it, it's going to require more skill, patience and elbow-grease, but the product is infinitely superior, in my opinion.

I've owned FX, and loved it at the time-- but for the accuracy-minded trooper on a budget, the ATA seems like a no-brainer to me.

Just my $.02.

To give you an idea, here's the ATA, alongside my AP, and my mystery helmet. (GF or Mon Cal??)

At present, the ATA lid doesn't seem quite as sturdy as the ABS helmets, but the detail is far better, I think.

But that could very well be because it's not put together yet-- it's my experience that all helmets feel substantially more durable when fully assembled.

ATA_pre_build_4.jpg

Note the tear on the AP-- living proof that acetone and decals do not play nicely together. :blush:

ATA_pre_build_5.jpg

ATA_pre_build_6.jpg

All in all, I simply couldn't be happier.

I'm not trying to proselytize for ATA too obnoxiously, but I'm genuinely thrilled with what I found in the box.

I'm a guy who had his heart set on a TE2 and a TM for a long time-- and I still hope to get one someday -- and both the AP and the GF have been a little bit disappointing by comparison.

(Just my personal preference -- not trying to step on anyone's toes. Sincerely.)

Anyway, I'll shut my trap and stop shilling, but anyone looking to optimize the bang for their buck would be hard-pressed to find a better offer.

And now that I've shot my mouth off, hopefully I won't screw anything up! :P

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude iam in the same Boat!!!! Do to shipping issues to my contry ATA had to send the armor in one box Helmet in the other. Helmet got here ( taking my time and working on it) still waiting for the armor. I can hardly wait to start!!!!!!!!!

The cool thing is that there are many of use doing this at the same time so the WIP threads will be cool to see what we do the same and what gets done differently!!!!

My sentiment, exactly, Doc!

The ATA factory has been working overtime!

Somewhere, there's a very tired man, slumped over a Vac table.

I think it's great that so many of us are building these out at the same time-- it'll be like a HIVE MIND. :D

We can all turn to each other if we get stuck.

Just warning you ahead of time-- it's very likely that I'll be the squeeky wheel, always asking to crib off you guys.

I'm pretty terrified about the seams, and the paint, to be honest.

Gonna do my best to get through it, but it makes me mighty nervous. :P

I agree that ATAs armor is really nice! Its great for me since it was priced just right for a first time armor build. Granted as a first build with no instructions like other kits it is rather difficult.....but who needs instructions when you have the FISD!

One complaint though, not so much about the armor more about my SKINNY A$$! trimming the forearms and trying to make them fit is rather tough.

Have fun with it, I know I am :)

I feel your pain, Gos. I only weigh in at a buck sixty, soaking wet, and I'm 5'11", so I'm a skinny dude too.

Good thing is, the armor tends to look good on the thin folks.

Look at the Hero promo pics, if ya' don't believe me. ;)

My only complaint so far-- and it's minor -- is that the faceplate seems a tad thin in the chin, as are the indentations where the mic tips attach. Definitely feel like I should reinforce it with some Elmer's, as suggested.

Some of the mold lines are a bit tricky to spot as well, but that's to be expected.

I'm just gonna go slow, and try to err on the side of leaving too much material.

I'd like to nail the "illusion of depth" thing, so I'm going to allow for a return edge wherever possible.

You're right-- the FISD is a total life-saver.

I'm sure someone's probably already mentioned it, but Stukatrooper has an amazing photo set on Flikr that's hugely informative.

And I follow Mike (TK-4150) and Troopermaster's advice like it's gospel.

If I get out of this with a decent looking suit and at least 90% of my digits intact, I'll be a happy trooper! :P

Just convinced my wife that my Fx armour needs a facelift ( she even said she would buy me an ATA lid for Christmas - BONUS ) so I think I'll be putting one of these babies together in the near future too Doug. :D

Out of interest, I'm not that large a trooper ( girth or height ). How do you think the ATA kit will suit a person of our stature?

Darren

TK4841

Congrats Doug. Looking forward to the build thread. I too am awaiting ATA and TE2 armor. Yippie!

Thanks, Nate!

I'm sure I'll have plenty of mistakes and near-catastrophes to keep the thread entertaining. :P

ATA, *and* TE2, *and* a TM, if I'm not mistaken?

Man-- I want to come play at your house!

You have all the cool toys!

Sounds like we have our work cut out for us, buddy!

I know my biggest stumbling block is going to come from forcing myself not to get all hyper and rush through it.

This stuff turns me into a antsy little kid-- I really have to force myself to go slow.

Just convinced my wife that my Fx armour needs a facelift ( she even said she would buy me an ATA lid for Christmas - BONUS ) so I think I'll be putting one of these babies together in the near future too Doug. :D

Out of interest, I'm not that large a trooper ( girth or height ). How do you think the ATA kit will suit a person of our stature?

Darren

TK4841

Sorry, Darren-- didn't mean to ignore ya'!

Any of the TE-based armor would work great for smaller troopers, I think. TE, AP, TE2, CAP, ATA, etc. -- originally, they were all designed for actors between 5'8" and 5'10" or so, who were fairly thin, so they're inherently on the smaller side.

**EDIT**

So far, I notice that ATA helmet is just a little smaller than CAP, which is just slight smaller than a TE2... seems to me there was some slight

shrinkage in the making of the helmet molds. The ATA lid, however, is a bit bigger than my AP, which is probably the smallest helmet out there with any ties to a screen-used lid.

And for those who aren't so tall, you can always trim the arms and legs to the length you need 'em.

I know there's a photo set on Flikr from a woman in Denmark, I believe, who's 5'4" and made a TE2 kit work really well for her.

Might be worth it to look it up.

I don't know as much as a lot of the other folks around here, but, I think any of the TE-based stuff would translate well to a shorter trooper.

**/EDIT**

All these ATA builds going on, I feel like we are in a race. I feel like I am in good company, though!

At least you guys don't have to shim your sides like I will, i'm 6 feet and 220( small gut ). :lol:

Happy building!

Since you mentioned size as one reason for the FX potentially for new guys looking for armor. How much 'smaller' is the ATA? Or really if I am 6ft 190lb could I use ATA?

There's some pretty big, solidly-built dudes in the FISD who wear TE2, which shares the same lineage. And they look awesome.

You might need to shim it in places, but from what I've seen and read, it can be done, with really nice results.

Gos-- I usually paint the inside black-- maybe I'll try the rubber stuff. Do you have a brand-name or a SKU # you recommend?

Got some work done on the helmet today.

Happy with the progress so far, but I did make a few mistakes I'll have to clean up later:

As I was attempting to clamp the faceplate to the cap, I made a mark in the flashing at the top of the left eye, which I'll probably need to flatten out with a modeling iron.

Also, to get the brow where I want -- which is a little higher than most -- I think I'm going to need to use some bondo on the ears to fill in some slight gaps.

I'll post pictures again tomorrow, once I'm a little further along.

Please excuse the painter's tape.

ATA_helmet_1.jpg

ATA_helmet_2.jpg

ATA_helmet_3.jpg

ATA_helmet_4.jpg

I need to clean the teeth up a bit, but all in all, I think it's headed in the right direction.

Any comments and/or suggestions you guys might have would be awesome!

Now to clean up some of the mess I made. :P

ATA has done quite an extraordinary good job for all of us.

and as I stated before he's the living proof that quality can be sold without overcharging.

I admire T. for what hes done with this armor in benefit of the legion and this group and I commend him for this.

Cheers are in order for him and I'm very happy for your new build. if life treats me well in december I'll be starting with mine!

That's looking good Doug.

Thanks, Thayne!

I've actually been using pictures of your helmets and GundamZepplin's as references, along with screenshots from the movie, and Mike's assembly tutorials! :D

I just feel lucky to be able to crib from so many great builds... Pablo, Stukatrooper, Smitty, the list goes on... it definitely makes things MUCH easier, and really gives me something to shoot for.

If my stuff turns out HALF as cool as some of the rigs I've seen here, I'll be stoked!

Thats cool. I feel honored by even being mentioned when you are looking at helmet reference pics! Can't wait to see your build finished Doug.

I just feel lucky to be able to crib from so many great builds... Pablo, Stukatrooper, Smitty, the list goes on... it definitely makes things MUCH easier, and really gives me something to shoot for.

If my stuff turns out HALF as cool as some of the rigs I've seen here, I'll be stoked!

Thank you, man! :DB)

Thanye and Pablo-- anytime! Thank you for sharing so many great pics!

Not much progress tonight-- just applied a few layers of Elmer's glue to the inside of the faceplate to thicken up the mic-tip recesses.

I know-- riveting, right?

Hopefully I'll have something more interesting to report as the week goes by.

• 2 weeks later...

Got some trimming done tonight.

Trying to leave material for a return edge wherever possible-- I'm sure my first round of heinous armor bites will show me where to trim more. :P

ATA_build_1.jpg

There's gonna be a lot to shape with the modeling iron, I think.

I had a dum-dum question about the shoulder bells, if anyone could help me.

It almost looks like there's two sets of trim lines on these puppies.

Should I trim to the second "line", or did I get it right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATA_build_2.jpg

Hopefully I'll get the limbs trimmed tomorrow... I'd like to prime the helmet as well, weather permitting.

Fingers crossed!

I had a dum-dum question about the shoulder bells, if anyone could help me.

It almost looks like there's two sets of trim lines on these puppies.

Should I trim to the second "line", or did I get it right?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I'd say trim to the 2nd line and then some (1mm or so), that's what I did. You can either draw a guideline with a soft pencil or use tape to guide the blade. BTW, I also have a return edge where possible, but there are only some parts where those are possible.