HOWTO Request: Strengthen HIPS armor

Hey there fellow troopers! I was working on my ATA helmet the other day and the plastic cracked right near the right trapezoid on the front (for the viewers, left) during sanding.

Truth be told I was expecting a bit thicker and sturdier plastic, as I am possibly spoiled owning a MRCE helmet (which I think might replace the ATA after all).

My armor is still in the mail (I reckon, as it's been in customs for 7 days now :angry: and the cleck says it's gonna take 30 more days cos it wasn't an Express Mail Shipment :angry::glare: ), so I can't judge about that but still... I am afraid my armor won't last me long knowing the way I bump into things.

So here's a quick question for all you veterans and knowledgeable newbies:

Is there a safe and good way to re-inforce your HIPS armor so it doesn't bend/crack or whatever so easily?

Or should I just fess up and get ABS :S.

Vincent

I have been pondering the same question.

did you watch these: -----

I think Mike addressed a crack in the HIPS there, but I cant remember which episode. He used a product called Zap a Gap, followed by a spray Zip Kicker to make it dry fast. I used this on the back of a weak area in my ATA helmet, and it seems to be much stronger. also here he uses the plastic welder -----

I had thought of coating the tube, face area with this from the inside - it dried rock solid.

One question that I am still wondering,( maybe someone who has a armor set can answer) is if the body parts are made of a thicker grade of HIPS?

I don't think it would be practical to prophylactically coat the entire suit of armor with zap a gap, or with the plastic welder. I had considered trying Plastidip spray - coating the entire inside of the armor? might add a bit of strength?

Derek

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Vincent

Most HIPS helmets are usually pulled in a lower gauge thickness than the accompanying armour

to retain more detail from the molds. You will always have weak spots on helmets even with ABS

some are just weaker than others. I have an ABS Gino V1 and one of the wells where the Hovi's

sit is as thin as tissue paper, one strong gust of wind and you could take a shave through that

sucker. :D

As Derek said, most of these areas can be reinforced from the inside using some thin cotton /

old T-Shirt and some CA glue. You would only really need to do this in certain areas as the

rest of the helmet is normally pretty sturdy.

For the armour I would definitely fix finishing strips to the inside as well as the outside for added

strength. You can also reinforce the edges where you will get a lot of wear in the same way as

the helmet or you can use a thin bead of epoxy 2 pack which does the job just as well.

This is not restricted to just HIPS suits as ABS can go in the same spots with excessive use. :(

A friend of mine in the UKG as a T M and trooped 78 times last year and is already up to 44 so

far this year and he's reinforced most of the prominent edges and he's had no problems with it

(touch wood) as a result. :)

Well, judging the way the dutch garrisson has been replying to my mails I think I'd be glad to troop twice a year lol.

Thanks for all the tips so far!

P.S. Helmet is done with assembling! Now the paint and primer :D

Pictures please!

Well, judging the way the dutch garrisson has been replying to my mails I think I'd be glad to troop twice a year lol.

Doh! Well, Germany and the UK are pretty close, and they troop tons if you need a fix :)