Frown question

Hey guys,

I've got this bugging me for some time. I'd read the forum thoroughly, did anyone else came up with an alternative to painting the frown?

Just curious 'cuz my garrison armorer prefers to use electrical tape to wrap the teeth. I have never personally seen a painted frown before, so I can't judge for myself which is better. In any case, would such a variation acceptable for EIB? Anyways, I tore out my electrical-taped teeth and painted them with Humbrol #05. Still waiting for them to dry....

I think it looks better if they are hand painted. I know many people tape them off and spray paint them but the end result does not look as nice. I've never heard of taping the teeth though.

Hmmm... fighting electrical tape around the teeth sounds like a nightmare to me. I would think painting would be much easier. Plus you would not have to worry about the tape coming off due to high humidity. If I was going to tape anything, I would tape off the rest of the helmet with painter's tape and spray paint the frown. Personally I have a good quality brush that I am going to use to paint the frown by hand.

I dremeled out my frown to make the spaces inbetween the teeth bigger and then I sanded the teeth and repainted them. I used blue painters tape to mask off the area, and then made sure the rest of the helmet was completely covered in newspaper before I sprayed. It turned out really well. Here is a pic...

----------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I agree, there is NO reference anywhere to indicate that these were taped. Paint is the way to go, and if you can, free-hand has a more accurate look. If you want idealized, then use masking tape (or electrical tape in a pinch), but the frown should be painted!!!

Nice bucket, Ryan.

Thanks guys. Puzzled me at first when I was first saw that the teeth were taped over. I might try an get a pic of a taped frown for you guys to judge.

Well, I'd painted the first coat on the frown and it turned out bluish. Will try adding a little black to the #5.

if its bluish - means the paint wasnt mixed well enough mate

I get that too in UK - vigorous shaking isnt enough, you need to get a stir stick of some sort to really get it mixed up well.

if you think painting the frwon is difficult - wait till you try and do the stripes in the traps!!